Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I have an Optima 2008, LX Inline 4, Old Body Style. While it has had regular oil changes and also had the timing chains completely replaced at around 99,000 miles (they failed right before powertrain warranty expired, which was nice), it has never had proper tune-ups, including transmission fluid replacement. As such, I want to replace the transmission filter, as it is most likely gunked up. However... I cannot find it. The transmission blow-out for the 2008 Optima doesn't even show it, though the blow-out for the 2008 Sonata (which is almost equivalent to the Optima) does. There is a filter part listed, but I cannot figure out where it is. When I remove the pan (which is the most annoying thing to remove, by the way) I only see solenoids and general electronics - no indication of where a filter might be. Some have suggested you have to completely disassembly the transmission? Is it really that difficult? I will point out that the transmission fluid was basically black, thick, and burnt-smelling. This is why I want to replace the filter - it is most likely not in good condition. I had to clean the transmission plug for a few days in solvent to clean the magnet off.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Believe trans needs to be disassembled to replace the flat filter.
I've got 280,000 miles on the trans and only problem is the noise. Sounds off through the gears and changes pitch when shifting into fifth, then the trans is quiet, but then the whining a/c compressor can really be heard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
turbonut
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing