Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to the Kia dealer a few weeks ago to buy a car I was going there to get a fully loaded Spectra5 2005. We tried one but my wife didn't like it all that much, she really wanted a Magentis/Optima. I really liked the Magentis too. The price for both were about the same, the Magentis had a few less options from a fully loaded Spectra. Spectra had 16 inch, 4 wheel disk brake, ABS, more air bags and MP3 player that my Magentis didn't have. But I still choose the Magentis over the Spectra5 because I like bigger cars, I'm not used to smaller cars. After buying this car I realised it's the last year for this platform and that in 2006 it will be an all new model. So this makes this car already almost outdated. On the other hand the Spectra 2005 is all new this year so it should stay the same for a few years. I know a few of you probably drove bought or own both, so I was wondering what are your thoughts on what car is better for, handling, comfort, space, performance, MPG, etc... Maybe this could be a good post for ppl on the market wanting to buy one or the other.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I have a 04 Optima LX. I just traded in my 04 Sorento LX for a 05 Spectra SX 4 door. That Spectra is almost the same as the Spectra 5.
-As for handling the Spectra wins it. Not as much body roll
-As for comfort I would give it to the Optima. Its bigger inside alittle more leg room and the seats are more comfortable.
-The Optima wins the space catagory.
-Performance would have to go to the Optima.
-MPG would have to go to the Spectra. Right now I have 200 miles on my Spectra and it still has a half a tank of gas. But the Opitma gets good milage too. Last I checked it I got 26 MPG.

The Optima has the 2.4L 4 cyl.
I like both cars equally. What one doesnt have the other one does. You made a good choice getting the Magentis. :thumbsup:
Thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response, I figured you would be able to anwser that question ;)

I like the look of the Magentis a bit more, it looks more luxurious but the Spectra has a really nice sporty look to it, I guess they are 2 way different cars that can't compare that much beside the fact that the price is almost the same. If I could of afford it I would of drove out of the dealer lot with a spectra and my wife a magentis lol.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Yes they are two different cars. When I feel like driving something sporty I drive the Spectra and when I feel like driving something luxurious I drive the Optima. Kia has such a great line of cars.

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
714 Posts
I must be even more outdated platform wise! I own a '02 Optima LX V6 and find the platform very attractive even 3 years later. If I had to go out and buy again I would still buy the Optima for 2005. Why? It has proven quality build and continues to be one of the smartest looking mid-sized autos on the road today.

The new Specra cars are nice but too small for my tastes today. I have 4 wheel disc brakes btw, 2 front airbags and 2 front seat side air bags. The Optima lacks the curtain side airbags that the new Specra has. Can't say my Optima handles badly because it doesn't! Sure it only has 15" rims but I am pleased with the ride quality. People still look at my Diamond Silver Optima and remark how pretty "she" is. I didn't buy it for others, I got it for me! Anytime you buy an auto you are buying into somewhat old technology as soon as the next year roll around it seems. I wouldn't buy a new model Specra if I was in the market for that size since bugs haven't been worked out. Wait a year is the advice I take when buying a new model. It doesn't mean the Specra isn't a nice auto. I think it is a rather attractive package but it isn't in the same league as the larger Optima now or when the new redesigned Optima comes out.

Buy the auto that meets your needs and design desires. You can't go wrong with the Optima and probably not with the Specra. Kia has come a long ways in the past 5 years! Thank God for that!!! :D

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comment, I agree with what your saying. For some reason Kia didnt give 4 wheels disk brake on all magentis in canada, but they did on the Optima in the states. The car still brakes really good though. Another thing I love is the pearl white color I got that is not available on the spectra. And the fact that it's a older platform that made it's proof is a good thing like you said. Your 2002 Optima is the same platform as the 2005 only difference is the lights.

As for handling I read a few reviews about ppl saying that the Optima wasnt very good at cornering, but I find myself being able to take turns over the rated speed without a problem, I dont know if they changed something in the suspension for 2005 but it handles great.

I hope the 2006 Optima doesnt look like the Sonata because I think the new sonata has no personality, it's a total, accord/acura knock off. Kia will probably make it look much nicer.

Thanks again for your comment.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I have heard the reason they are changing the Optima is becasue it looks too much like the Sonata. Hyundai is going to be more luxurious while Kia is going the sporty route. I have also heard that the Optima is going to look similar to the Jetta. The four and six cylinder engines are going to be different too. I still havnt found any pics yet. When I do I will share them with ya! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think that they are gonna change the optima for 2006 because it shares the same platform as the sonata and that now that the sonata is all new they have to do the same for the optima. I think that if that was hyundai's atempt at being more luxurious then Kia, to my opinion they failed because our optima's still looks way more luxurious then that new sonata. I cant wait to see what the 06 optima will look like....

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
714 Posts
I have Hyundai and Kia news sent to my mailbox each day through Google alerts and recently I read that Hyundai and Kia will continue to share most of their underpinnings (that's the platform including engines and trannies) with like models. The 2006 Optima should then have the 2006 Sonata platform while at the same time design-wise be different. I agree with what has been said about the different directions both are taking -- one supposedly for luxury and the other for sporty. It matters little to me about shared platforms since in my opinion does a better job of designing their cars even if they have similiar looks as in the past. The Optima is a pretty car with great lines. The older Sonatas are nice but have weird design elements. Same holds with the Sportage vs. Tucson SUV. Seems most reviews prefer the looks of Sportage over the Tucson. Guess it is in the eyes of the beholder who has the money to buy what they want. I want a Kia! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts