Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
This is my first time posting, been her reading a few times and found a lot of use full info.
I just bought my son a 2000 sportage for school, tuned it up and did a lot of suspension work also, and it was running pretty good till yesterday.
Parked the car after replacing fan clutch and will not start. Moved shifter to neutral and it starts. cranks in park but wont start.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Hey guys
This is my first time posting, been her reading a few times and found a lot of use full info.
I just bought my son a 2000 sportage for school, tuned it up and did a lot of suspension work also, and it was running pretty good till yesterday.
Parked the car after replacing fan clutch and will not start. Moved shifter to neutral and it starts. cranks in park but wont start.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

Looking at the ETM starting schematics, the Transmission Range Switch is what allows the Sporty to start only in (Park) or (Neutral),

This link: show the location of the switch.

Can I change the Transaxle Range Sensor on a 2000 Kia Sportage - JustAnswer

(It sounds like an issue in the range switch w/ the (Park) setting...)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the impression that the trans switch kept it from cranking. Does it cut off the ignition? because mine cranks in park but wont start.
If I move the shifter from park all the way down and up to park a couple of times, then it starts in park. Thanks for you quick reply.

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Normally it does, but it sounds like the trans switch is busted, so I dunno (what) voltage is getting to the starter solenoid (pin 1, blue wire) - so that would be a check you could make: (+) probe voltage reading to the starter motor solenoid in (Neutral) vs. (Park) , other probe to (ground) ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts