Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are folks going to buy oil filters? For the V-6 3.5L, there seem to be few traditional suppliers of the cartridge filter. Are we stuck with dealer prices?

Best,

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
They have a list price of $10.00 I'll sell them for $8.00 each. No tax, (if your not in MI) shipping won't be alot. These are factory Kia oil filters.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento AWD V6 SX Cherry Black
231 Posts
My dealer charged me only $10 plus tax for the V6 filter last time he changed it and I supplied my own synthetic oil. This way I have a record of KIA Motors changing the oil and filter for permanent record in both the KIA customer on line record system and my car's manual. Why take a chance for a few bucks, just drink their coffee and eat their donuts while you are there and it's a wash. Plus they wash the car's exterior each time!!

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dealer charged me only $10 plus tax for the V6 filter last time he changed it and I supplied my own synthetic oil. This way I have a record of KIA Motors changing the oil and filter for permanent record in both the KIA customer on line record system and my car's manual. Why take a chance for a few bucks, just drink their coffee and eat their donuts while you are there and it's a wash. Plus they wash the car's exterior each time!!
My dealer is about a 45 min drive away and they seem unwilling to schedule the change so that I can wait and get in and out in under an hour. If I do it myself, it takes 10 minutes and I can do it when it's convenient. And I'll also have the knowledge that it got done correctly and with quality oil/filter. I keep a little book in the glove compartment with the receipts from the oil/filter purchase and I write the mileage/date for each change.

Best,

·
Registered
231 Posts
The only possible problem with that is, if by misfortune, your on line purchased oil filter fails, whether by you or the product, under the manual warranty, you may be SOOL dealing with KIA. And there have been V6 filter failures. I want a KIA record while under warranty. I don't know about your dealer, but mine has WIFI, etc., copier, eats and free car wash, an hour there is productive for me; will also deliver you and pick you up free within 10 miles while they work on the vehicle if you desire and have a punch list. They are trying to follow the Lexus standard. Of course in my area we have 4 KIA dealers w/in 20 miles radius. Great to have competition.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only possible problem with that is, if by misfortune, your on line purchased oil filter fails, whether by you or the product, under the manual warranty, you may be SOOL dealing with KIA. And there have been V6 filter failures. I want a KIA record while under warranty. I don't know about your dealer, but mine has WIFI, etc., copier, eats and free car wash, an hour there is productive for me; will also deliver you and pick you up free within 10 miles while they work on the vehicle if you desire and have a punch list. They are trying to follow the Lexus standard. Of course in my area we have 4 KIA dealers w/in 20 miles radius. Great to have competition.
It's illegal for them to deny warranty coverage because you didn't do your oil changes at a dealer. The onus is on them to prove you failed to honor the terms of the warranty. My company provides free legal services for just this kind of issue. Kia attorneys....meet GE attorneys. *shrug*

Best,

·
Registered
231 Posts
Missed the point. If your non KIA filter fails or you improperly install it, the company has no obligation to honor warranty. Past court cases have settled this one.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Missed the point. If your non KIA filter fails or you improperly install it, the company has no obligation to honor warranty. Past court cases have settled this one.
Who said anything about using a non-Kia filter? No need to cloud the issue with FUD. Should we all use Kia branded oil as well? :)

There's absolutely no reason to do routine oil changes at a dealership. If it was convenient, I would, but it isn't.

Best,

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So I picked up an oil filter from a local dealer today. The part number is 26320 3CAA0. OEM manufacturer appears to be Mahle (which is a good sign...they make great filters). Their part number is OX417D. The box includes a large rubber o-ring and small aluminum washer. It was $10 plus tax.

I see a few outfits selling knock-offs on alibaba so you'll want to make sure the one you get is not made in China. Mine says "Made in Korea."

Best,

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
What I find funny is, the OP asked for an online supplier for factory oil filters, I guess just overlooked my post. and then went out and paid FULL price.

Different strokes for different folks.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I find funny is, the OP asked for an online supplier for factory oil filters, I guess just overlooked my post. and then went out and paid FULL price.
It was $2 cheaper online....which would be eaten up by shipping. *shrug*

I noted your offer to sell them to me for $8, but didn't think it was worth the effort of buying from an unknown for no cost benefit (when you consider shipping). I also happened to be near the dealer that day and it was convenient to drop by and buy it. Otherwise, I'd have had to wait for it to arrive in the mail.

Best,

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
I'm a Mod here, far from a "unknown". I understand what you mean about the shipping and all. If you buy more than one filter it would have been cheaper for you. I just thought you never saw my post. Just trying to help fellow members. That is all................

It was $2 cheaper online....which would be eaten up by shipping. *shrug*

I noted your offer to sell them to me for $8, but didn't think it was worth the effort of buying from an unknown for no cost benefit (when you consider shipping). I also happened to be near the dealer that day and it was convenient to drop by and buy it. Otherwise, I'd have had to wait for it to arrive in the mail.

Best,

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a Mod here, far from a "unknown". I understand what you mean about the shipping and all. If you buy more than one filter it would have been cheaper for you. I just thought you never saw my post. Just trying to help fellow members. That is all................
No problem at all. Since you're a mod, how about seeing if you can enable folks to view my gallery images so I can add them to the DIY oil change post. :)

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
Also, can we sticky the oil change thread and maybe create a "DIY" section? I believe there was also a write up on panel removal and some other "DIYs" that warranted a sticky as well (yes I know there is one for the entire site but a section just for the Sorento would be great).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts