Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got valve cover gaskets, intake plenum gasket, thermostat and spark plugs on order. Changing thermostat due to having a P0128 code [Coolant Thermostat (Coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature)]. I don't have any clue about much with this vehicle, besides seeing service records that show a engine replacement a few years back. I assume they had timing belt snap (what other reason to replace whole engine?)...

Anyhow, I also picked up a new oil filter (Fram XG9688 ultra synth) and a 5 quart jug of Castrol Edge high mile full synth 10W-30 (selection has been quite limited in my area). I believe that I've heard it should take 5W-30... will it be a problem using a higher weight?

Next it will go into the shop for all new tires, especially now that I've got issue with front right wheel being positive cambered all sorted out. They will also repair my broken exhaust pipe (flex pipe just past the down pipe, before the muffler) which broke clean apart. They will also check things out to take care of the other code I've got, P0431 Warm up catalyst efficiency bank 2 below threshold. Not sure if that one is due to the open exhaust pipe, or bad O2 sensor(s), or bad cat(s).

·
Registered
02 Sedona 80k 500SL 34k 300SE 161k 300E
106 Posts
Just wondering what mileage was engine replaced? My timing belt was changed at 65K by PO, I'm at 96K now, plan on replacing it soon, its a big job! I use 20-40 oil in mine.
Good luck with your repairs!

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shows on Carfax that the engine was replace on 01/21/2013 at 98,092 miles. Services performed for that specific one are:
Oil and Filter Replaced, CV Boots Replaced, Timing Belt Replaced, Radiator Hoses Replaced.

Work was done at Russ Darrow Kia (Wisconsin), they put in an engine from junkyard (it has the mileage marked on it). I'll have to go look for the exact number, but I'm pretty sure it was marked at ~66k miles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yikes better do mine soon, I read somewhere a timing belt broke and it just died on the side of the road, he towed it home and put a new timing belt on and runs fine lol.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,140 Posts
Yikes better do mine soon, I read somewhere a timing belt broke and it just died on the side of the road, he towed it home and put a new timing belt on and runs fine lol.
Very few of the models are non-interference engines, all the others and I'm sure yours, will destroy the engine. Over 60K miles is living on borrowed time.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Local mechanic where I live (Northern Illinois) said it will be $160 just for them to check my timing belt. I can imagine how much it will cost for the replacement. I'm sure I can check it myself very easily. Replacement will be a huge pain though, but not impossible.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,140 Posts
Local mechanic where I live (Northern Illinois) said it will be $160 just for them to check my timing belt. I can imagine how much it will cost for the replacement. I'm sure I can check it myself very easily. Replacement will be a huge pain though, but not impossible.
There is no reliable way to check it to assess the degradation that occurs over time.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no reliable way to check it to assess the degradation that occurs over time.
So since I have no clue as to age or condition of the belt, should I consider getting it replaced soon?

Also will be doing valve cover gaskets tomorrow, should I use red/black gasket maker to get better coverage at the corners? Heard someone say a while ago about using some 3M product to put the new gaskets on to hold them on the covers before putting the covers back on.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found my oil leak... The left (rear) valve cover is cracked.

Going to try fixing it with JB Weld. Otherwise no idea where to get a new cover.

The cracked end is the side that faces the front, by the timing belt.

·
Super Moderator
11,140 Posts
So since I have no clue as to age or condition of the belt, should I consider getting it replaced soon?
That would be the safest approach - the oil leaks would also degrade the belt prematurely.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really hope it can be fixed with JB Weld since I really can't find a cover available anywhere. Even local junkyards dont have any Sedonas for parts.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
974 Posts
JB Weld is a good choice! But a little gooey....it may run out of the crack.
They make a two part epoxy putty you knead together and then apply.
That will be quicker and easier to apply. Clean the area very well! Use Acetone, let dry first.

Reactions: rio-t

·
Registered
106 Posts
I love JB Weld and use it on a lot of automotive applications, the trick to have it stick super good is sand area where you put it! Used it on a valve cover for my Chevy 350, still good and no leaks on valve cover after 10 years.

·
Registered
Sedona '02
144 Posts
Fix that crack. Oil will leak out, drip down to exhaust pipe and smoke up. Also, it will reduce your oil amount -potential engine killer due to loss of oil and the crank bearings burning up.

You can take off the top portions of the front engine cover and look at the timing belts. Maybe able to see the conditions of the belts that way. You can change cam shaft sensor that way (easy).

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The cracked cover is the back one. Got it all patched up with JB Weld and back together with new vc gasket.
Stuck on the front one due to one bolt had been previously over tightened and broke off in the head. Working on getting it out now and already have a new bolt to put in. Hopefully have it done soon, then put new oil filter in and fresh oil.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Work is all done. Had 2 codes before that were for thermostat temperature and catalyst efficiency not within threshold. Now those codes are gone, after a short drive (about 10 miles round trip) it's giving a P0306 cylinder 6 misfire. Guess I'll check to make sure the cables are good and connected tight. If that's good, may need a new coil pack. Anything else I should check?

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, this has gotten weird. The code is now gone!
Even more weird, I previously had codes P0431 (warm up catalyst efficiency bank 2 below threshold) and P0128 (coolant thermostat [coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature]). Both of those codes were gone just from changing spark plugs, oil filter, oil and vc gaskets. No check engine light either.

I'll keep monitoring things to be sure if it's an intermittent thing. Otherwise maybe just from the vehicle having not been started up for roughly a week? Or a kind of 'break in' for new parts?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts