Kia Forum banner

Oil woes

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  xakkaxxx 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have a 2013 Rio SX 4door.
anyway, I work for a Tribology Laboratory here in Edmonton,
So I tested my oil at 1800km just to poops and giggles..
well I was surprised!!! and not in a good way..

The engine is shipped with a 5w30 bla bla bla.

Ok, so the numbers

My oil came back with some issues.

Viscosity 7.5 typical range for supplied oil should be 12-13 when tested at 100c

also with only 1800km on the car there was 0.12% water in the oil. this is more than likely from condensation. The typical water level in oil should be <0.5%

when we test oils on most engines that run 10-20-30k km in between oil changes, we get <0.5%

this is actually quite alarming.. only 1800km and a 0.7% increase in water is quite dangers.. If the car continued to collect water over the next 10,000km.
who knows how much viscosity the would have been lost and how much damage would have happened to my car..

So I brought it to the dealer to have the oil changed and the car looked at... they did not seem worried or even care that this was happening.. To be honest with you, I dont think they even know what they were looking at..

Anyway They changed the oil and filter and noted " no water found in oil " (30 min oil change)

I am going to continue to check my oil every 3,000k to see whats going on in my engine.

I will post the results here shortly..

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Interesting find. A few days ago, I attempted to book a change oil appointment with my rio 5 with the dealer's service dep't and I was informed that the first oil change should be only done at 8000 KM as the initial engine oil from the factory has additives that improves the 'breaking in' of the engine. I wonder where he got that information. Anyway since I only have 4000 KM I did not push through with my oil change intention.

Did you find any 'additives' in your oil analysis?

#5 ·
also with only 1800km on the car there was 0.12% water in the oil. this is more than likely from condensation. The typical water level in oil should be <0.5%

when we test oils on most engines that run 10-20-30k km in between oil changes, we get <0.5%

this is actually quite alarming.. only 1800km and a 0.7% increase in water is quite dangers..
Yeah, you might want to check your math... your 0.12% is WAY UNDER the 0.5% that you call typical... so I see nothing alarming at all with this.

0.12 isn't 0.7 more than 0.5, it's 0.38 LESS THAN 0.5

#6 ·
My dealer invited me for my first oil change last week & I have 5700 kilometers & have had the car since May 1st or about 4 1/2 months. It will be no charge so i don't think his motivation is $$:).Getting it done tomorrow.will run kia's recommended Dino oil & put in Full Synthetic @ next oil change.

#7 ·
Sorry everyone I was on crack when writing this..

Ok typical oil should have less than <0.05% water dilution.
my car had 0.12% anything greater than 0.05% is considered water contamination.

Also no there does not appear be be any additional additives in the oil to assist in the break in period it tested as stock oil.

(forgive me)

also I took a sample from the car today to see what exactly they put into my system now..

#8 ·
first of all you are taking about a new engine with barely 2k miles on it.
That means that many things must break in. Besides, you do not know how many times the car was started on cold, moved a little, and parked. And again...

Water is very normal in oil. And you will not see it as it comes from many places (combustion, condensation...) plus it is mixed well with oil.
If you drive the car on short distances, then you get water. More idling, more water...
On the top of that - sampling is very important. Could some moisture get to the container?

#9 ·
I work run the Tribology Laboratory here where the testing was completed.

There is no way there was any contamination during sampling, all samples are done via the dipstick, with decontaminated sampling supplies, also the 1st 4oz that are drawn off are discareded.

I realise that its a "new engine" but we test about 800-1000 samples a day, nd this one stood out due to the fact of the age, type of oil, water and the low viscosity (that being my main worry)

After having the oil changed the car is acutally quiet (had a rough sound to it before and the MPG has improved slightly, In town i was only able to get 7.3-7.5l/100km now running about 6.7-7.3 Roughly, same driving style same habbits.. who know it might all be in my head..

also like i said there is a fresh sample being processed today should have results tuesday ish, and every 3000k i am going to run another just to see how things are going in there.. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.