Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 BMW Z3, 2010 Kia Soul, 2011 Kia Rio, 2012 Fiat 500 sport
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK my 18 year old daughter took her 2011 Rio (very last of old style body) to Wal-mart for an oil change. She got about 4 blocks away when the car didn't feel right and it started smoking severely. She pulled over and called me and Wal-Mart. I arrived first and found they had massively overfilled oil. Looks like they filled it twice. The sent out two people who dumped and refilled the oil on the spot and we drove car back to Wal-mart. It smoked and was spitting oil from exhaust. The did and addition oil change filled it properly and we filed a incident report with the manager. Driving home the smoke finally cleared over 10 miles. As of now car seems fine, do we assume its fine. Drive it to Kia dealer and have them check it out or? Can they even tell if engine damaged internally? Like I say it drives fine no warning lights but it was pumping oil into exhaust. Could this have damaged engine, frothy oil causing lubrication issue. Blown seal issues, what about oil in the catalytic converter? Any one else have this issue with Wally world? PS for what it is worth we had a 2010 Soul have an engine replaced for a knocking under warranty. Never going back to a Wal-mart at this point.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Greetings,

I would first verify w/ the Walmart service manager that when the vehicle was returned to the shop that a -new oil filter- was installed following the over-fill,

and closely monitor the vehicle for any leaks over the next several weeks..

If suspect, and you decide to take the vehicle to the dealer / another shop for a second opinion, recommend notifying the -Walmart- service manager before doing so, if you expect reimbursement from them,

re: oil on the cat. converters, it should burn off without issue: the fact the vehicle is not smoking / running ok is a good sign..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
99 Kia Sephia manual tran no p/s or a/c, 98 Subaru LegOB
137 Posts
yeah, that is messed up! Now that the vehicle has stopped smoking, I would do what gottacruise suggested. notify the walmart super, then get a 2nd opinion at the dealer IN WRITING. Also, hopefully you can get a summary of what walmart did for you already, in writing.

Depending on that, hopefully you can have the walmart pay for the dealer recommended service and get on with life. Maybe small claims court is an option later on if walmart is being a poop?

It is perhaps adviseable to get another oil and filter change asap AFTER the above recommendations.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Check that they didn't drain the transmission oil by mistake and then add oil to the engine. Manual transmission; if it's auto, the car probably wouldn't be mobile with the transmission drained.

This would imply that they didn't change the oil filter either. Nobody checked oil level after adding the oil?

I'd guess that there's been no permanent damage. See KIA next time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I gave the car a good look this morning while it was "cool" out. Radiator coolant looks fine no shine to it. Cleaned engine no leaks, no smoke, wife followed while I ran it up thru first and second. They did change the oil as when I checked it I could barely see how full it was as it was that clean. They drained the oil and refilled it on the street. Back at the Wal-mart they did replace filter and fresh oil again. Manager did have us fill out a form for there insurance and I have his card. I drove it 30+ miles today, it was 112 degrees here in Phoenix and it shows no sign of any issues. I'm just going to watch it for two or three days. I will ask Kia as I need a trim strip ordered. While the local Kia dealer is very good about warranty work, routine oil changes need to be booked online often 3 or 4 days in advance.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Yes, new oil can be hard to see on the dip-stick, especially when its 0W or 5W in a hot engine. I double check when it's cold, sometimes blotting the dip-stick on a clean paper towel to take a reading.

Is it a manual transmission? Checked transmission oil level? A common cause of over-filling is draining manual transmission instead of engine sump.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Well I gave the car a good look this morning while it was "cool" out. Radiator coolant looks fine no shine to it. Cleaned engine no leaks, no smoke, wife followed while I ran it up thru first and second. They did change the oil as when I checked it I could barely see how full it was as it was that clean. They drained the oil and refilled it on the street. Back at the Wal-mart they did replace filter and fresh oil again. Manager did have us fill out a form for there insurance and I have his card.
From what you describe, no apparent damage from the over-fill, just inconvenience for you & the Service Mgr. ..

I drove it 30+ miles today, it was 112 degrees here in Phoenix and it shows no sign of any issues. I'm just going to watch it for two or three days. I will ask Kia as I need a trim strip ordered. While the local Kia dealer is very good about warranty work, routine oil changes need to be booked online often 3 or 4 days in advance.
-There's a reason they are that busy - THAT is the place you want to go. :D

Glad to hear your daughter's car is ok.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its the daughters car so its a slush box, I can hardly drive it every time I pull up to a stop sign or light I panic looking for the clutch. Been watching no leaks, runs smooth, no check engine lights so we did get lucky but it sure looked bad. Boy it was smoking. She felt so bad, she was trying to be nice and step up and get the oil changed so I wouldn't have to. She drove her mom's Kia Soul back up to her summer job in Prescott. Going to surprise her I'm getting the windows tinted. Black car + dark grey interior + Phoenix = Oven... Every body thanks for your help and input...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts