Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Rio LX Sedan auto trans
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m noticing I’m losing a quart of oil every 5,000 miles. I’m using Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5w-30. Normal usage for a 95,000 mile 2016?

It will interesting to see what my other kids 2018 with just 42,000 miles does. Just bought it last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,167 Posts
IMO, a quart in that many miles is quite normal for your overall mileage. You could try stepping up to that oil WITH the "high mileage" formulation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO, a quart in that many miles is quite normal for your overall mileage. You could try stepping up to that oil WITH the "high mileage" formulation.
Thanks. I forgot about high mileage formula available. I’ll give it a shot when I change the oil in it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
You could always try switching to a different Brand. Sometimes that actually works.

Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage is really popular and highly recommended.

Richard

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
+1 ^^^^

You can also try a running a couple of bottles of a good Fuel System Cleaner in a row (two different fill-ups). Sometimes that can help.

But as Mia Kia 09 said above, "a quart of oil every 5,000 miles" is not a lot. Some cars just burn/use oil and there's nothing you can really do about it except to keep monitoring the level and adding oil.

Richard

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
627 Posts
Thanks. I forgot about high mileage formula available. I’ll give it a shot when I change the oil in it this weekend.

The high milage formula should do the trick, plus it has an advantage in sealing small oil leaks (some brands, not all).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has a new PCV valve. I’ll try the high mileage pennzoil platinum first. If that doesn’t do the trick, I’ll switch brands next time.

None of my cars ever used oil. I’m a stickler for maintenance, and always switched to synthetic ASAP and change oil every 5k miles.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,167 Posts
By it's proper name for PCV...POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION....NOT POLLUTION CONTROL VALVE.
It suck oil fumes during engine operation from the inside of the motor and runs it into the intake manifold of the motor to be burned. Malfunctioning PCV can cause excessive oil consumption.

·
Registered
Kia Magentis 2009
2 Posts
By it's proper name for PCV...POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION....NOT POLLUTION CONTROL VALVE.
It suck oil fumes during engine operation from the inside of the motor and runs it into the intake manifold of the motor to be burned. Malfunctioning PCV can cause excessive oil consumption.
Thanks for the PCV description, I heard firstly about it...
What can also impacts car oil consumption, such as mileage and/or PCV malfunction?

·
Registered
Canada 2012 Kia Rio EX hatch, 6 sp auto, 1.6 GDI
9 Posts
My Rio uses exactly zero oil between changes. Which is good, because no leaks, but bad, because some oil has to be burning. There is going to be a film of oil on your bore no matter how good your piston rings are. When combustion occurs, some of that has got to burn. I can only assume it's pulling in moisture at a roughly equivalent rate and "re-filling" my oil with water and combustion byproducts. Either way, they really need frequent changes with the very small oil capacity and the tiny little oil filter.

·
Registered
2013 Rio LX 4-Door
33 Posts
Add some ATP AT-205 Re-Seal. Drive 5,000 miles. Then report back with your results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts