Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sportage CRDTi XS 4WD Auto, 2000 Alfa 166 V6
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the air filter element today and was surprised to see oil in the bottom of the box it sits in. The oil had dripped out the bottom though the small hole in the bottom of the airbox and covered the engine mounting underneath
The car has only just passed its MOT test so I know emissions are OK. Anybody else experienced this?
Turbo?

2005 Diesel auto with 72K miles - oil is changed every 6 months.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Rob

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sportage 2.0; 2000 F150 Lariat 4X4; 2006 Chevy Trailblazer
57 Posts
well, if it was a gas burner, I would say possibly a plugged pcv valve or line. I would still guess that it is related to crank case ventilation. See if you can find any kind of vent or vacuum lines attached to the valve cover or block, and see if they are clear. Some may go to the intake, and have vacuum on them when engine is running. If it is plugged, pressure will build up in crank case, and it will purge to wherever it can go. Just a thought, I am not up too much on diesels.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tinman1 for the quick reply.
I will do further investigation this week.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2 / Toyota MR2 Roadster / iveco 45/15 Long wheelbase Hightop Prison van /MotorHome Coni
4 Posts
Hi There BWW How did you get on as Mine has the same Issue?
But i put it down to the previous Lady Owner Overfilling the Sump?
As i noticed that it was filled to the Twist on the Dipstick
And her Garage removed 1.5 litres of oil Previously?
Please Let me Know
regards Nev..:(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Nev,
just back from a short holiday in the UK so will be looking at this sometime this week.
I service this car myself so it is not oil overfill.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a look yesterday and the breather pipe from the back left hand side of the rocker cover ( looking at the engine from the front) had collapsed in the middle.
It goes from left to right along and down the back of the engine.
Have repaired it and will now see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Final update.
This was caused by the chassis support bracket under the airfilter shearing and letting pressurized air out from the large intercooler pipe.
The pipe is between the turbo and the intercooler.
I removed the airfilter unit, battery and intercooler pipe, and drilled the bracket so that it could be held in place by a hose clip. The bracket had sheared due to metal fatigue as it is the pipes first fixing to the chassis and flexes with engine movement.

The pipe and bracket are aluminium so if you can weld this material it may be a better fix.
In a month no more oil in the air filter and better performance as no turbo pressure loss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts