Kia Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
USA, 2021 Sorento SX X-Line
8 Posts
I'm planning to do my own oil change and slowly get into more advance stuff. Does it matter if it say SAE or not? If it doesn't say SAE, does that mean it was locally graded by the manufacturer? Looking online, found this "Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-30". Usually get Amazon brand since that dude from ProjectFarm did a test on it against mobil1 and valvoline and was impressed with the outcome. Unfortunately Amazon does not have 0W-30.
Thanks wilddragon. Agree.

The 2021 Sorento manual specifies (for the 2.5 turbo) SAE 0W-30, API SN Plus/AP or ILSAC GF-6 (0W-20 for the non-turbo). The Mobil website states that the oil mentioned by Calebcaleb meets this spec (Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-30). (Mobil 1™ 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy | Mobil™ Motor Oils)

The manual "recommends" Total Quartz oil. My dealer uses Mobil 1 or Carquest oil. Carquest is re-branding their oils as Fram (see photos). The Mobil 1 full syn 0W-30 from Amazon, Walmart, or etc. appears to be a good choice for Calebcaleb. The Fram is less expensive.

I ensure the oil used meets the manual's spec, that is, SAE 0W-30, API SN Plus/AP or ILSAC GF-6 (0W-20 for the non-turbo). It is stated on the oil's website and/or on the oil bottle.

The SAE number (Society of Automotive Engineering) is the grade (in this case 0 degrees winter and 30 degrees summer). If the oil bottle does not state "SAE" it can be verified on the oil's website. The Mobil 1 oil in Calebcaleb's discussion states SAE on the bottle and website.

Fram oil front.jpg

Fram oil back.jpg

·
Registered
2011 Sportage LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thanks wilddragon. Agree.

The 2021 Sorento manual specifies (for the 2.5 turbo) SAE 0W-30, API SN Plus/AP or ILSAC GF-6 (0W-20 for the non-turbo). The Mobil website states that the oil mentioned by Calebcaleb meets this spec (Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-30). (Mobil 1™ 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy | Mobil™ Motor Oils)

The manual "recommends" Total Quartz oil. My dealer uses Mobil 1 or Carquest oil. Carquest is re-branding their oils as Fram (see photos). The Mobil 1 full syn 0W-30 from Amazon, Walmart, or etc. appears to be a good choice for Calebcaleb. The Fram is less expensive.

I ensure the oil used meets the manual's spec, that is, SAE 0W-30, API SN Plus/AP or ILSAC GF-6 (0W-20 for the non-turbo). It is stated on the oil's website and/or on the oil bottle.

The SAE number (Society of Automotive Engineering) is the grade (in this case 0 degrees winter and 30 degrees summer). If the oil bottle does not state "SAE" it can be verified on the oil's website. The Mobil 1 oil in Calebcaleb's discussion states SAE on the bottle and website.

View attachment 119309

View attachment 119310
I will need to look at the manual for mine but I did not see where it specified 0W-30 for the turbo version, which mine is. However the oil filler cap does have 0W-20 stamped on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will need to look at the manual for mine but I did not see where it specified 0W-30 for the turbo version, which mine is. However the oil filler cap does have 0W-20 stamped on it.
Sapper1, thanks for the interesting comment. I hope the following table will help, it is from the 2021 Sorento manual page 8-9. (USA or Canada) (click to enlarge)
1623249205065.png 1623249641880.png

·
Registered
2011 Sportage LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I will double check my manual. But it does look like something is not right with what I am seeing.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Well my manual does say the same thing. So someone put the wrong oil cap on the car? So now I am worried that the other badges on the car may be wrong. What is the best way to confirm the engine type I have?

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX AWD
5 Posts
This is a conversation I had on a thread about a similar oil-related subject, any suggestions here would be appreciated.

We have our '17 Sportage serviced by our nearby dealer, they say their oil changes are synthetic. I asked which brand they used and one service advisor said Mobil 1. I can't confirm that, but I would expect they use a bulk supply. One thing I wonder about though, understanding that cars using synthetic can go further between oil changes due to the chemical properties of synthetic; less breakdown, less acidity longer 'life'. The dealer puts a sticker on the windshield showing the next mileage and/or recommended date for the next change. My driving doesn't build up the miles before their next "recommended" date. (My most recent suggested date was May 10, 2021 and I've only put about 3,000 miles on it since the last service.)

So, given synthetic's longer life expectancy is the mileage or the recommended date more important? Am I risking an engine failure if I go beyond the date on the sticker, perhaps voiding the 100,000 mile warranty?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,839 Posts
This is a conversation I had on a thread about a similar oil-related subject, any suggestions here would be appreciated.

So, given synthetic's longer life expectancy is the mileage or the recommended date more important? Am I risking an engine failure if I go beyond the date on the sticker, perhaps voiding the 100,000 mile warranty?
Unlikely that it alone presents a risk of engine failure, but when it comes to warranty the owners manual spells that out quite clearly - exceed the mileage or time interval gives Kia an out in the event of a failure.

Reactions: GeeTee

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well my manual does say the same thing. So someone put the wrong oil cap on the car? So now I am worried that the other badges on the car may be wrong. What is the best way to confirm the engine type I have?
Sapper1, Here is a photo of my 2021 Sorento turbo engine. The turbo is under the heat shield at the back. The turbo cooling hose is on the right, leading to the turbo cooler.
2021 Sorento Turbo.jpeg

41 - 51 of 51 Posts