Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
187 Posts
Yeah no I know about turbos and gdi killing oil. But you gotta remember we’re all running synthetic. Only way to truly know is to get you oil analyzed. It will tell you how much life your oil has left in it. I do know that VW/Audi and I think BMW say 10K mile OCI on full syn. If they can do 10k you should get more than 3 out of it.
If you go by what a lab says and you have a warranty issue your going to have a problem proving you followed recommended OCI. Good synthetic oil is cheap and not following what Kia recommends could cost you big time. Good luck.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line
18 Posts
Just wanted to chime in that most mercedes and BMW are on a 10,000 intervals with full syn. Why does our Kia need 6,000 intervals if full synthetic. I'm sure my old car was direct inject 2.0L turbo also called for 0-40w.
And why does the 2.5 Turbo need spark plugs every 42k miles?? I think Kia is being a little aggressive with their maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
69 Posts
Just wanted to chime in that most mercedes and BMW are on a 10,000 intervals with full syn. Why does our Kia need 6,000 intervals if full synthetic. I'm sure my old car was direct inject 2.0L turbo also called for 0-40w.
It’s all about how the engineers tested it. Plus with KIA giving you 100K mile warranty on the engine they really want to make sure it’ll last that long. These other brands have much longer OCI’s to mainly appease the customers who are on the lazy side, and there’s little chance that the engine will go wrong by 50 or 60K.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
69 Posts
If you go by what a lab says and you have a warranty issue your going to have a problem proving you followed recommended OCI. Good synthetic oil is cheap and not following what Kia recommends could cost you big time. Good luck.
Yeah you don’t go past the 6K as recommended but I suggested doing an UOA to make someone feel more at ease about going from 3K to 6K OCI’s.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorrento SX White with grey interior
17 Posts
So I just had my first oil change. I was on a trip west and did not get back until I had 7500 miles on the car. The salesperson told me oil changes at 7500 and use regular oil. I called Kia to make an appointment for an oil change and they could not take me for 10 days. I asked what type of oil they used for the Sorento sx 2021. They told me synthetic blend. I did not want to wait so I went to my usual guy, a local shop. He told me full synthetic. My computer reminder said change the oil every 6000 miles. I did check the oil on the trip and it was mildly dirty. I did mostly hiway driving. Any opinions? What are you all doing?

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
67 Posts
It’s all about how the engineers tested it. Plus with KIA giving you 100K mile warranty on the engine they really want to make sure it’ll last that long. These other brands have much longer OCI’s to mainly appease the customers who are on the lazy side, and there’s little chance that the engine will go wrong by 50 or 60K.
Kia also had a class action lawsuit against them on the 3.3 engine and to settle that they gave those engines a lifetime warranty. I think in order to avoid any chance of that again Kia shortened their intervals. I am sure the engine can go longer between scheduled maintenance (my twin turbo F150 engine calls for 10k between oil changes), but by making the intervals shorter they have a better chance of people going past those intervals and giving Kia a way out. Really, Kia should have to prove if an engine fails that it was because of a lack of changing the oil if that is why they are going to deny you warranty coverage, but we all know they have more lawyers and cash to throw at lawsuits than the average car buyer. I have personally never seen an engine fail due to not changing the oil. I know there are stories out there about it, but I just have not personally seen it, and I work with vehicles for my job. I also worked at a lube change place back in the days of change your oil every 3k miles or 3 months, and had a Civic come in with 60k on the odometer and had never had an oil change, and the car still ran great. I would recommend doing that, but it also didn't make the engine explode.

I am about to do my first oil change tonight and I will take a sample and have it checked (we have an oil lab at my work so I always sample my cars, also gives me a paper trail showing when I did maintenance if I ever needed it). I fully expect the results to show that the oil will be able to go longer than 6k, but because the manual states 6k thats what I will go with.

As for what type of oil, the difference in 0w20, 0w30, 5w20 and 5w30 is so minimal it likely wouldn't matter what one you went with. I bet lots of dealers are doing 5w30 simply because that's what they have in their large tanks and 0w oil is not nearly as common yet. And in our lab test the Walmart oils and filters are just as good (and in some cases better) than many of the name brands out there. If I didn't have cases of Mobil 1 already that I stocked up on when they were on sale at Costco I would for sure go with the Walmart brand Super Tech oil, best value for a full syn IMO. Walmart has a large oil company make the product for them and then just brand it differently, just like all store brand items. I just wish there was an aftermarket option on the filter. Hopefully one day.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,839 Posts
So I just had my first oil change. I was on a trip west and did not get back until I had 7500 miles on the car. The salesperson told me oil changes at 7500 and use regular oil. I called Kia to make an appointment for an oil change and they could not take me for 10 days. I asked what type of oil they used for the Sorento sx 2021. They told me synthetic blend. I did not want to wait so I went to my usual guy, a local shop. He told me full synthetic. My computer reminder said change the oil every 6000 miles. I did check the oil on the trip and it was mildly dirty. I did mostly hiway driving. Any opinions? What are you all doing?
What's your thoughts on the suggestions / recommendations already made in this thread?

Reactions: joemsj51

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line, 2.5T Silver
12 Posts
For warranty, just go with what the manual says, 0w30 or 0w20 depending on turbo or not every 6k; some people do it more frequently but probably not needed; some just do an extra one at 3k for the engine break-in

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
67 Posts
For warranty, just go with what the manual says, 0w30 or 0w20 depending on turbo or not every 6k; some people do it more frequently but probably not needed; some just do an extra one at 3k for the engine break-in
An early oil change for engine break in is not needed these days. That was years ago when engine tolerances were not as good as they are now. I don't know of any manufacturer that recommends anything special for engine break in, aside from maybe not towing for the first 500 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes I agree, I know some people still do it but I also don't think it is necessary.

·
Registered
USA, 2021 Sorento SX X-Line
8 Posts
I thought our OCI now is 7500. I’d have to check the manual. I’m going no more than 5K. Zero weight is fine as long as it’s a multi weight. I personally love 0W-30.
My 2021 Sorento X-line manual calls for 0W-30 full synthetic. Mine is a turbo GDI. The oil fill cap on top of the engine is lettered "SAE 0W-30" (see photo). I have had two oil changes so far at the dealer and both times got 0W-30. I will continue to ensure that any oil change gets 0W-30 full syn, to protect my engine and warranty. The manual calls for normal oil change interval 6000 miles.
2021 Sorento X-Line oil cap.jpg

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm treating my car as being on the severe duty interval due to a high number of short local journeys where it probably doesn't get up to temp fully. That means 3000 mile changes which, based on our usage, should be about every 6 months.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX FWD
15 Posts
I'm treating my car as being on the severe duty interval due to a high number of short local journeys where it probably doesn't get up to temp fully. That means 3000 mile changes which, based on our usage, should be about every 6 months.
We purchased a 2021 Sorento in March and it is already time for the first Oil change. The manual states to use either SAE0W-20, API SN PLUS/SP or ILSAC GF-6. I really don't have a preference one way or the other but was just wondering if anyone could tell me what comes in it from the factory.
What type of oils is used in the Turbo Engine in Texas. Regular, Semi-Synthetic or Synthetic ?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line (Canadian Spec) - Aruba Stone Green
34 Posts
If there's any merit to the problems with the SmartStream turbo engines (you can find quite a bit of info) a lot of oil bypasses the piston rings and gets burned up in the cylinder, this would speed up plug fouling, etc. Could be another factor in their maintenance schedule.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
(vehicle purchase)
Turbo should be wearing 0w30 and always full synthetic at 3-4k OCIs.
Otherwise, use the longer OCI schedule in your Owners Manual (for example: leasing).

Can't find 0w30?..... use a name brand 5w30 synthetic, or purchase 0w30 online.

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
67 Posts
Just got my analysis results back from my first oil change at 6k miles and everything looks good. Could go further, but will stay with the Kia recommended interval for now, which will put me doing changes every 3 months on this car.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line AWD
2 Posts
(vehicle purchase)
Turbo should be wearing 0w30 and always full synthetic at 3-4k OCIs.
Otherwise, use the longer OCI schedule in your Owners Manual (for example: leasing).

Can't find 0w30?..... use a name brand 5w30 synthetic, or purchase 0w30 online.
I'm planning to do my own oil change and slowly get into more advance stuff. Does it matter if it say SAE or not? If it doesn't say SAE, does that mean it was locally graded by the manufacturer? Looking online, found this "Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-30". Usually get Amazon brand since that dude from ProjectFarm did a test on it against mobil1 and valvoline and was impressed with the outcome. Unfortunately Amazon does not have 0W-30.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm planning to do my own oil change and slowly get into more advance stuff. Does it matter if it say SAE or not? If it doesn't say SAE, does that mean it was locally graded by the manufacturer? Looking online, found this "Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-30". Usually get Amazon brand since that dude from ProjectFarm did a test on it against mobil1 and valvoline and was impressed with the outcome. Unfortunately Amazon does not have 0W-30.
The mobil-1 0W30 is fine and meets the required specs

21 - 40 of 51 Posts