Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a 2021 Sorento in March and it is already time for the first Oil change. The manual states to use either SAE0W-20, API SN PLUS/SP or ILSAC GF-6. I really don't have a preference one way or the other but was just wondering if anyone could tell me what comes in it from the factory.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Got our first change done at the local dealer last week. They used Total 0W-30 (2.5T engine), although I'm not sure exactly what Total product it was.

I'll probably do my own changes in between the 10K scheduled changes and I'll most likely use Amsoil 0W-30 Full Synthetic mid-SAPS blend. I'm a fan of Amsoil products.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line, 2.5T Silver
12 Posts
Hello,

regarding the oil filter, is 26350-2S000 the correct part for the 2.5T engine?

Thanks

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
69 Posts
Just get a brand name full synthetic in the right weight and you should be good. Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil. You can get the fancy oil if you want like Royal Purple or Amsoil, but to me it was never worth it since those aren’t sold in stores. Your engine won’t know the difference. They’re not finely tuned racing engines.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just get a brand name full synthetic in the right weight and you should be good. Mobil 1, Valvoline, Pennzoil. You can get the fancy oil if you want like Royal Purple or Amsoil, but to me it was never worth it since those aren’t sold in stores. Your engine won’t know the difference. They’re not finely tuned racing engines.
To be honest, this is true. If you change the oil frequently enough, Walmart or Amazon own-brand synthetic in the right weight will do. However, I've gotten in to the habit of ordering cases of oil from Amsoil because I'm now on my second car in a row that uses 5W-40 and it just isn't readily available off the shelf in the stores. Its easy just to add oil for the KIA when I'm ordering anyway. Amsoil do a pretty good discount program that makes the cost much the same as any other name brand.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
69 Posts
To be honest, this is true. If you change the oil frequently enough, Walmart or Amazon own-brand synthetic in the right weight will do. However, I've gotten in to the habit of ordering cases of oil from Amsoil because I'm now on my second car in a row that uses 5W-40 and it just isn't readily available off the shelf in the stores. Its easy just to add oil for the KIA when I'm ordering anyway. Amsoil do a pretty good discount program that makes the cost much the same as any other name brand.
Nah I would'nt go so cheap as to say Supertech brand lol. On youtube go look for a channel named Project farm. He did a motor oil Olympics and tested all common brands including Amsoil.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage LX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got our first change done at the local dealer last week. They used Total 0W-30 (2.5T engine), although I'm not sure exactly what Total product it was.

I'll probably do my own changes in between the 10K scheduled changes and I'll most likely use Amsoil 0W-30 Full Synthetic mid-SAPS blend. I'm a fan of Amsoil products.
Yeah, definitely doing it myself. I called the dealer to ask the same question and they just said to use any 5W-30. When I told him it uses 0W-20 he went completely blank.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
69 Posts
Yeah, definitely doing it myself. I called the dealer to ask the same question and they just said to use any 5W-30. When I told him it uses 0W-20 he went completely blank.
When I still had my 2012 Optima I was pretty active over on that forum and we actually got KIA to issue a TSB because dealers were using the wrong oil weight in the Turbo cars. Do not trust them. Bring your own oil.

Oil championship finals. It was Amsoil vs Pennzoil.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
187 Posts
I can’t believe Kia is recommending a 0 weight oil in a turbocharged engine. I live in Florida where the summer heat will certainly thin out the oil even more. My 2016 uses 5-30 with 3000 mile change intervals. Is that still the same with the 2021 model?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
69 Posts
I can’t believe Kia is recommending a 0 weight oil in a turbocharged engine. I live in Florida where the summer heat will certainly thin out the oil even more. My 2016 uses 5-30 with 3000 mile change intervals. Is that still the same with the 2021 model?
I thought our OCI now is 7500. I’d have to check the manual. I’m going no more than 5K. Zero weight is fine as long as it’s a multi weight. I personally love 0W-30.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
73 Posts
Hello,

regarding the oil filter, is 26350-2S000 the correct part for the 2.5T engine?

Thanks
I've been trying to find out the same thing. I want to stock up.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line, 2.5T Silver
12 Posts
I've been trying to find out the same thing. I want to stock up.
Seems it is this one according to Dave:

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
73 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
187 Posts
I thought our OCI now is 7500. I’d have to check the manual. I’m going no more than 5K. Zero weight is fine as long as it’s a multi weight. I personally love 0W-30.
On my model year for severe operating conditions which is basically heavy traffic heat etc. recommended OCI is 3000 miles. Please let me know what your manual recommends. Remember turbocharging and GDI combined is really hard on engine oil. I change mine religiously no more than 3000 sometimes 2800 and each time the oil is dark meaning it’s absorbing contaminants the oil is doing its job. It also lubricates the bearings in the turbo charger which spins at very high rpm and heat. As much as I would like to extend my oil changes I’m not doing it for the reasons I just stated as well as that’s what’s recommended.

I document every oil change with receipts, pictures of the oil I’m using and OEM filters that are date stamped and pictures of my odometer for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento EX T-GDI
69 Posts
On my model year for severe operating conditions which is basically heavy traffic heat etc. recommended OCI is 3000 miles. Please let me know what your manual recommends. Remember turbocharging and GDI combined is really hard on engine oil. I change mine religiously no more than 3000 sometimes 2800 and each time the oil is dark meaning it’s absorbing contaminants the oil is doing its job. It also lubricates the bearings in the turbo charger which spins at very high rpm and heat. As much as I would like to extend my oil changes I’m not doing it for the reasons I just stated as well as that’s what’s recommended.

I document every oil change with receipts, pictures of the oil I’m using and OEM filters that are date stamped and pictures of my odometer for warranty purposes.
Yeah no I know about turbos and gdi killing oil. But you gotta remember we’re all running synthetic. Only way to truly know is to get you oil analyzed. It will tell you how much life your oil has left in it. I do know that VW/Audi and I think BMW say 10K mile OCI on full syn. If they can do 10k you should get more than 3 out of it.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
73 Posts
Seems it is this one according to Dave:
I went to the parts desk at my local dealership and confirmed that it is indeed Kia part #26350-2S000, and that each one comes with all of the necessary replacement parts (new crush washer*, etc) mentioned in the service manual's oil change directions. Sidenote: At the $8.80 that it cost me it'll be cheaper for me to just buy them there instead of online...based on current prices, anyway.

*I'll be installing a Fumoto valve like I had in my previous cars, so I won't need the crush washer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah no I know about turbos and gdi killing oil. But you gotta remember we’re all running synthetic. Only way to truly know is to get you oil analyzed. It will tell you how much life your oil has left in it. I do know that VW/Audi and I think BMW say 10K mile OCI on full syn. If they can do 10k you should get more than 3 out of it.
Yeah - my VW, which is pumping slightly more horsepower and torque than the Kia 2.5T out of a 2.0T and is also GDI, has a 10,000 mile or 12 month service interval officially. I'll be changing it myself in between 'official' services - nothing bad ever happened from changing the oil more frequently than strictly needed.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento SX X-Line
73 Posts
That sounds about right. I went about 6 to 7000 miles between synthetic oil changes in my three turbo Subarus.

·
Registered
'21 Prestige SX
25 Posts
Just wanted to chime in that most mercedes and BMW are on a 10,000 intervals with full syn. Why does our Kia need 6,000 intervals if full synthetic. I'm sure my old car was direct inject 2.0L turbo also called for 0-40w.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts