Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX V6 AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a used 2019 Sorento V6 3.3L just wondering when I get the oil changed. It suggest synthetic oil. Is that a full or blend and does it matter what I use?

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,430 Posts
Synthetic is fine. Where did you get the suggestion? Did it suggest the viscosity?
WalMart has a fine offering of oils at a reasonable price. The owners manual should have the usage chart in it.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
26 Posts
Page 8-6 of the manual for a 2016 3.3l V6 recommends Total Quartz oil or equivalent. Google says Total Quartz is a synthetic. Interesting they are recommending oil change intervals (OCI) of 7500 miles with a synthetic oil.

Weight recommendation is on page 8-8: 5W-30.

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
There is very little price difference today between a full synthetic and a synthetic blend.

A blend often contain only a small percentage of synthetic oil in it. Go with the Full Synthetic.

Richard

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,135 Posts
ACEA A5 is what's recommended. Total likely paid well for that little Quartz logo on that page, but be careful what you choose. Even within very similar ranges of their products, you'll find a lot of variation in which meets which specs.

Now would that be
Quartz 7000 Future, API SN PLUS
Quartz 9000 Energy, ACEA A3/B4
Quartz 9000 Future, API SM ,API SN
Quartz 9000 Future ECOB, ACEA C5
Quartz 9000 Future FGC, API SN PLUS
Quartz 9000 Future NFC, ACEA A5/B5 (Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner)
Quartz 9000 Future XT, API SN PLUS
Quartz INEO Dynamics, ACEA C5 (Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner)
Quartz INEO Efficiency, ACEA C2, ACEA C3
Quartz INEO Long Life, ACEA A5 (Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner)

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Yes, KIA has had a partnership with TOTAL Lubricants for a number of years now.

See THIS POST

ACEA stands for Association des Constructeurs Européens d'Automobiles (or European Automobile Manufacturers' Association in English). ACEA is the "European Standard" for motor oils. It is the main lobbying and standards group of the automobile industry in the European Union.

If you live in North America, you want to look at the API Specs - the latest being SN Plus.

For more on this, see THIS POST

Richard

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,135 Posts
The test methodologies between ACEA A5 and SN Plus are a bit different, so it's necessary to take that into consideration in the apples/apples.

What I find REALLY odd is that in lieu of ACEA A5 they permit some rather lower spec'd (downright antique specs, actually) oils as alternatives when there are oils closer to ACEA A5 spec available!

Why not SN or GF-5 or or or ??? Why this old stuff instead??? From the 2016 Sorento manual:

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
162 Posts
For my 2019 LX V6 with 500 miles, I will be using Walmart's SuperTech full synthetic 5w30 which actually exceeds the requirements noted in the owner's manual, and is an SN Plus, that Plus is very important for GDI engines as it is specially formulated to get rid of the pre-ignition issues associated with such engine. It is ILSAC G-5 which is better than the G4 it calls for in the owner's manual as well. Lastly, for under $5 a quart for a full synthetic, US made oil by one of the leading oil manufacturers in the nation (since the 1930's), you just cant beat it.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,430 Posts
Super Tech Full Syn is a fine oil. I have been using it in my (Ex 3.5 Kia) and I use it in my S10 for about 90,000 miles. No sludge.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
LSPI (Low-speed Pre-ignition) is only a concern in turbocharged GDi engines.

Richard

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
The test methodologies between ACEA A5 and SN Plus are a bit different, so it's necessary to take that into consideration in the apples/apples.

What I find REALLY odd is that in lieu of ACEA A5 they permit some rather lower spec'd (downright antique specs, actually) oils as alternatives when there are oils closer to ACEA A5 spec available!

Why not SN or GF-5 or or or ??? Why this old stuff instead??? From the 2016 Sorento manual:

View attachment 113866

Most quality full synthetic oils sold in North America do meet the ACEA A5 standard - even if many of them haven't gone through the required testing. Many oil companies chose not to bother running those specific tests on their North American oils because it actually cost money to do all those extra tests (they might choose to run them on some of their oils but not others). Plus meeting the European standards is not a requirement for oils that are sold to the North American market.

KIA lists the ACEA spec in their Owners Manuals simply because these cars are also sold in Europe. Some of the tests included in the ACEA specifications only apply to vehicles driven in Europe.

Yes it is true that some of the ACEA testing is more stringent then some of the tests required to meet the latest API specs. However, many high quality full synthetic oils sold in North America often exceed those minimum API standards. Many of those untested oils would in fact pass those ACEA tests if the company did decide to run them, even if it doesn't say so on the bottle.

Note: The ACEA A5/B5 spec is primarily for fuel economy (A5 applies to gasoline engines, while the B5 part is for diesel engines). Many people in Europe prefer ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 motor oils because they feel that they offer better engine wear protection due to their higher HTHS (High-Temperature High-Shear) viscosity.

Richard

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX V6 AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Synthetic is fine. Where did you get the suggestion? Did it suggest the viscosity?
WalMart has a fine offering of oils at a reasonable price. The owners manual should have the usage chart in it.
Just what it said in the manual. It said synthetic but didn’t specify blend or full

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Incidentally (just to add to my previous post), the 2019 Sorento Owners Manual has this:

*3 : If the API SM engine oil is not available, you can use API SN or above.
*4 : If the ILSAC GF-4 engine oil is not available, you can use ILSAC GF-5 or above.

Did you catch that? They recommend API SM or ILSAC GF-4 as their main recommendation and tell you to use API SN/SN PLUS or ILSAC GF-5 as a substitute only if API SM / ILSAC GF-4 is not available. Does that make any sense to you?

As for my 2019 Sorento, I'm going to keep using API SN PLUS motor oil in it. (The oil I use does also have the ACEA A5 rating incidentally.)

By the way, usually when an Owners Manual list several different specs separated by a comma, you can insert the word "or" after each comma.

Richard

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
26 Posts
Which is why I said, simply, synthetic 5w-30.

I would wager any synthetic you find on the shelf is going to be at least SN rated.

Another SN Plus I started using in another vehicle is Amazon Basics Full Synthetic. Stock up when it goes on sale for $20 / 5-quart jug with free prime shipping!

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Yep... sure does!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX V6 AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I typically go to grease monkey to get my oil changed. It looks like they use mobile one synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
I typically go to grease monkey to get my oil changed. It looks like they use mobile one synthetic oil.
I'll assume you mean Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil.
There are a number of different "flavors" of Mobil 1 but yes, that brand will do just fine.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
162 Posts
I watched an awesome series of synthetic oil comparison by YouTuber "Project Farm" where he pinned many brands of synthetic oils against each other. If you need some interesting watch while sitting on the throne then go ahead and watch all the series, if not, go ahead and fast forward this last episode to 8:20 where lab testing had shown why Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is the best choice for a GDI motor (best resistance to evaporation when exposed to heat along with impressive additive package detailed in the lab report)

Have fun!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts