Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 EX UVO
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been taking my Rio to Walmart to get the oil changed. They've been using Mobil 1 full synthetic. When I was there last week, the tech noted that my oil smelled very strongly of gasoline. So, I went to my local Kia dealer, and they kept the car for the day, and called me and said that they were 99.9% sure it was the cheap oil filter that Walmart use's.

They said that it's not an emergency, but to next time either take a Kia filter with me to Walmart or to use somewhere else, as long as I'm using the Kia oil filter. I'm a little baffled at how using a cheaper filter, made the oil smell of gasoline. I'm going to let the dealership change the oil next time and see if the smell goes away.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
As you suggest, the oil shouldn't smell like petrol. Some cars will accumulate a little petrol in the lubricating oil due to a lot of cold starts, bad mixture, poor crankcase ventilation. Crankcase dilution will adversely affect the lubricating qualities of the oil. A quick run on the highway should get rid of any minor build-up, if not, check with KIA next service.

I can'r see why the filter should have anything to do with it, although many people on the forum do stress the importance of using genuine KIA filters. Apparently they incorporate a non-return valve which helps with start-up oil flow.

Make sure that your service centre uses the correct grade and brand of oil, and not the cheapest that they happen to have on hand. I always supply my own oil, and the service centre makes a cash adjustment for that.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
In every Kia I have ever owned/seen, the oil has a somewhat gasoline-like smell. Especially Mobil 1 (which is what I use in all of my vehicles).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts