Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q? I have a 2011 Kia Optima & a 2012 Kia Sorento SX that I purchased in October 2011. I took the Optima to be service at Midas in Seaside, CA yesterday Sunday June 3, 12. I normally take it to Kia Stevens Creek but I didn't have time this time because its so far away. After Midas completed routine maintenance (Oil Change Tire Rotation and Balance) they did their 101 point inspection and notice seepage around the mounting of the pan and suggested that I take it to kia to have a seal replace since its still under warranty. I took it to My Kia in Salinas,CA and they said the only thing they could do was take pictures and send it in to Kia Corporate, I called Kia corporate to see why they would replace the seal when from the pictures you can clearly see this dark oily residue around the mounting and they said there is no defective part and if My Kia replaces it the warranty would not replace the part. Now anybody I talk to mechanic or not knows that a seepage eventually becomes a leak, so why isn't Kia repairing this? Has anyone had this issue or can help me understand?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Is it leaking enough to leave a drip on the floor of the garage? Anybody mention giving the securing bolts a tighten and cleaning off the area rather than taking a happy-snap?

I don't agree that a seepage will become a significant leak; sometimes they just stop. I had a slight leak around to valve cover on an older car and just gave the bolts half a turn; stopped the leak, but the oily residue worried the next mechanic to look at it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,967 Posts
i really don't think a oily residue is much call for alarm just wipe it off and keep an eye on it as it could be only residual oil from the manufacturing process .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts