Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sedona
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the round, solid seal on upper back of engine (driver’s side) called? The seal has become dislodged causing significant oil leakage. What could cause it to dislodge? How do I replace it? 2005 Sedona. I included a generic engine photo with red x to show the seal.
F6552B90-00C8-4225-B7E3-01F42897687F.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
I've always heard it referred to a rear cam seal, but a google search shows that Kia calls it a circular packing.

Cause of failure could possibly be a clogged or failed PCV valve. Try cleaning it with brake cleaner or simply replace (can find online for about $25 or less).

Replacement I'm not totally certain. You may have to disassemble the camshaft from head in order to put a new one on. Or maybe can just press new one in without any disassembly.

I do know these engines are quite a pain to work on. I've got an 03 Sedona EX. Haven't yet tackled fixing my oil leak yet. That's next project after I'm finished with replacing CV axle, control arms (ball joints are shot), and inner and outer tie rods.

I'll look mine over and see if I can get you better info to help with the repair.

·
Registered
Sedona '02
141 Posts
What is the round, solid seal on upper back of engine (driver’s side) called? The seal has become dislodged causing significant oil leakage. What could cause it to dislodge? How do I replace it? 2005 Sedona. I included a generic engine photo with red x to show the seal.
View attachment 113842
These are CAM oil seals. There are two on each head. They usually come with valve cover gaskets or you can buy them separate from Rock auto.

You have to take off the valve covers. So, might as well replace the valve cover gaskets and the related gaskets.

Replacing them by themselves is easy. You just have to knock them out. The issue is getting to them.

Front side is easy.. Back is a pain in the rear. You have to take off the whole plenum off to take off the rear valve cover off. That will be a whole day work at home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts