Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Sportage with 99000 miles and I put every one one the car. It has been a great car with few problems. The Oil light came on and I stopped and checked the oil. It was OK. Restarted and ran for a mile or so and the light came on again. This time I stopped and had it towed home. Could this be something stopped up or a switch failure? I had the oil changed about a week previous to this problem. Oil change was not a Kia dealer but I used a Kia filter, as I have many times. How can I check to see if the pump is working? Is changing the oil pump something a home mechanic can do? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why go directly to the pump?
Try having your oil pressure/level sensor check first. Have you notice a rise on your engine temp? :57:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Remove the oil sender switch and install an oil pressure gage. The sender is just forward from the oil filter. A one wire sender.

Should read approx 43 - 57 PSI with engine hot at 3000 RPM. If the pressure is significantly lower than that then you do have some sort of oil problem. If it reads OK then the sender is bad.

The oil pump is a real bear to change with the engine in the vehicle but it can be done. If you have 4WD the front diff has to be moved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. Im worried about running the engine if the oil pump has failed. I think I can get the pressure tested by a local mechanic. BTW the it was not running hot. Ill keep you posted. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
349 Posts
What I mean by "hot" is the engine up to normal operating temperature.

When the oil is "cold" it will pump at higher pressures...up to the point of the relief valve which is about 60 PSI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know this sounds dumb but after thinking about it the oil pressure light only comes on when there is no pressure. My OP light comes on when I turn on the ignition, then goes off when the motor starts. I must have oil pressure then! The switch is just that, not a gauge. I dont know what could cause the light to come on while running. Could the switch fail in that mode? What drives the oil pump, gears off the motor or the serpentine belt? Thanks again for all the comments. I still love my Kia even if I have to bury it. Maybe this discussion will help others.

·
Registered
349 Posts
If for some reason the electrical connector to the oil pressure switch is loose or corroded it could cause that condition. The engine shifts quite a bit on it's mounts when driving. The connection could momentarily open and cause the light to come on.

The oil pump is driven internally by the crankshaft, not the timing belt.

I would still suggest having the oil system checked with a gage. It can be mounted temporarily and checked while driving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts