Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a drop or two the last week under our 2012 3.5 AWD, so when getting under the vehicle to change the oil this past weekend found the cause. Seepage and leaking from the oil pan. To my dismay, when looking closer, there appears to be no gasket, just that grey silicone between the block and the pan. WTF? No rubber or composite gasket, just the RV type silicone? Disappointed to say the least. Can anyone confirm that in fact there is nothing other than the silicone? Will be taking back for warranty to repair but never had any confidence in the silicone crap.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I don't know if that's the case for our Sorentos, but it's not unusual to have only RTV gasket material for crankcase and transmission pans these days. Nothing wrong with it as long as the assembler was careful and the surfaces were clean when putting it together.

Best,

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Myself and my dealer thought it was the Oil pan leaking too. Turned out to be the Timing Chain cover. They said they've seen a few 3.5's with this issue. Took them three tries to finally fix my leak.

Where the Timing Chain cover and the oil pan meet is what was confusing them. The oil seeps down along the cover and makes it look like the pan is leaking.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
I agree with RentoEx. It is most likely the front cover leaking. I have seen a few, but most can just be sprayed off during each oil change and won't cause a problem. Usually the trail will only get to the pan in that period of time and won't drip or get any further.

RTV sealant is very good if applied properly. The surfaces must be cleaned properly, and the correct amount and type used. The original sealant is dark gray, the replacement sealant should be light gray.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out it is the timing chain cover. Dealer says becoming quit common. Now let's see if they can fix it?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Turns out it is the timing chain cover. Dealer says becoming quit common. Now let's see if they can fix it?
Same thing with mine. my dealer said the same. Hopefully your dealer fixes it right the first time. It took them three tries on mine. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts