Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday just bought a 2016 Kia Soul Exclaim 2.0L from an individual with 105,000 miles. This morning I was sitting in the drivethru at the bank for about 15 minutes and I noticed the oil light flickering. Not on steady, but randomly flickering. As soon as I'd rev the engine, the light would go out. I came home and put the car on my rack I have at home and removed the sending unit and put a mechanical gauge in its place. My oil pressure is less that 10 lbs at idle with a warmed up engine. If I rev the engine to about 2000 RPMs, it will jump up to 50lbs. Does this sound like a bad oil pump? I really don't think there are major engine problems, there are no strange noises, and the oil looks fresh and clean. Does anyone know what the oil pressure should be at idle?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,754 Posts
It sounds like a poorly maintained engine.

What's the service history?

What oil and oil filter is currently installed - could be wrong oil and/or oil filter.

Seeing as you've only had it for a day, look at the option of returning it.

If returning it is not an option, then get the oil changed using a good brand full synthetic and a KIA oil filter and see if that improves the low oil pressure issue.

Reactions: Lou O. and rio-t

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the maintenance history, but the car is in near perfect shape. There isn't a ding or a scratch anywhere on the car, the interior is perfect, these things are usually a pretty good indicator of how well a person maintains their car. The oil does look like it was just put in there, there is even a sticker in the inside of the windshield indicating that it just had an oil change. I see no reason to think it wasn't well maintained.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,754 Posts
I have come across many vehicles where the owners spent all their time and resources beautifying the outward appearance while neglecting the engine, but without the service history there's now way of knowing for sure.

The low oil pressure is real and points to a significant internal engine problem, and if it were me I'd be looking at returning it, but if that's not an option or you're not keen on that, then you should take a risk and do as previously suggested, get the oil changed using a good brand full synthetic and a KIA oil filter.

Reactions: rio-t and Lou O.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,374 Posts
Sounds like internal engine clearances are at the high limit of part print tolerance due to wear.
Not the end of the world if you can't or won't return the vehicle. But...You should have, by law, 72 hours to return.
If you keep her I would immediately switch to a heavier viscosity oil, and one for high mileage vehicles. Try a 10W40 or 20W50 full synthetic with premium Wix filter, or equivalent. Let us know what happens....

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
621 Posts
I'd give it back, that's sounding like major issues down the road, and I suspect not that far down the road!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Does anyone know what the idling oil pressure should be? Most new cars have very low oil pressure at idle compared to days of old.

·
Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
621 Posts
If it's low enough for the light to flicker, I'd be worried. I suppose if it has very light oil that could happen, but I'd sure want to know why! Less than ten pounds sounds too low for cars that I'm familiar with! My Sorento with factory oil (900mi) idle pressure is around 20 pounds when warm.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Oh I agree a flickering oil light is not good. Out of curiosity where did you get your pressure reading from?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of curiosity where did you get your pressure reading from?
I removed the oil pressure switch, which is just above the oil filter, and put a mechanical gauge there.
My wife has a 2013 Soul, same engine, so I did the same pressure readings on it to campare. It has about 22lbs of oil pressure at idle, all warmed up. Rev's up to 60 or 70.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,754 Posts
Out of curiosity where did you get your pressure reading from?
I removed the oil pressure switch, which is just above the oil filter, and put a mechanical gauge there.
My wife has a 2013 Soul, same engine, so I did the same pressure readings on it to campare. It has about 22lbs of oil pressure at idle, all warmed up. Rev's up to 60 or 70.
What's your plans?

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
32 Posts
I got lucky and the seller returned my money. I'm still looking for a good used Soul, but now I'm looking for fewer miles.
I bought my 2018! from Carvana with only 2100 miles. It is immaculate. They have so many Kia's to choose from right now. I would at least take a look. No hassle, like ordering a pizza.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Their prices are outrageous. Example: I've been looking at Chevy HHR's and they range anywhere from $1500 for a beat-up one to $5000 for a really nice low mileage one. Here's one at Carvana:

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
There's been a couple complaints of the same light-flickering problem on other boards. Goes off when accelerating and back on when idling.
Oil light switch replacement fixed both.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,754 Posts
There's been a couple complaints of the same light-flickering problem on other boards. Goes off when accelerating and back on when idling.
Oil light switch replacement fixed both.
In this case its confirmed to be a low pressure condition using a pressure gauge.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
32 Posts
Their prices are outrageous. Example: I've been looking at Chevy HHR's and they range anywhere from $1500 for a beat-up one to $5000 for a really nice low mileage one. Here's one at Carvana:
First off in response to the "outrageous" prices...I said Kia models not Chevy's. I did not look at any other but Kias when I was shopping for my new car. Second, and I am only posting this so you see where I was coming from, I paid $16,200.00 for a fully loaded 2018 Soul! with only 2100 miles. Also the prices you posted for the HHR are good if I was in the market for a Chevy. I apologize if my offer to check out Carvana is not in line with what you expect a good price to be. Good luck in your continued research for that right car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts