Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed that my '97 Sephia is leaking oil around the distributer and the radiator hose under it is greasy. Now I am not sure if the valve cover area on top of it is the culprit or no, because that area is oily anyways. The rest of the valve cover seems fine. I wanted to know if anybody has any experience with this. Also want to know how involved is the gasket change for the valve cover and the distributer? I don't have a repair manual. Any help is appreciated; it is the 1.8 engine with a standard tranny.

·
Registered
107 Posts
still under warrenty? if not then you will need to get a new gasket yourself, Pick one up at your local AUTO store or KIA dealership, also pick up some RTV gasket sealant (not positive on the name), unbolt the head and carefully take out the gasket and clean the gasket area carefully then center the new gasket and make sure its centered then put the head directly on top slowly (as not to desturb the gasket or the sealent) and carefully bolt it back on in a criss cross fastion to put even pressure on the gasket and keep it centered.

use the gasket sealent on any corners and use just a little bit, as some teachers said in kindergarden about glue, its the same rule "a dab will do."

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the response. I had called the dealer and they had to order the parts and I didn't go. Over the weekend I washed the engine bay thoroughly. The car is new to me and was dirty. Now I am checking for leaks. Although from the traces it seemed like the valve cover gasket was leaking on top of the exhaust manifold, now after 200 miles of driving in warm weather it seems like I don't have any leaks there. The one point I am not so sure about is the distributor O-ring. It sits on top of one of the radiator hoses and that hose has some oil marks on it. It is a little difficult to be sure, i tightened the distributor and it seems to be OK. The reason I am anal about this is that on my old corolla one of this pesky oil leaks made my radiator hose get puffy from being too hot and I almost got stranded 70 miles from home. Luckily I managed to make it home with adding water and frequent stops, nut I am not in the mood for another event. My engine is the 1.8 (Mazda?) from '97 and prob different from yours.
THANKS

·
Registered
107 Posts
mine is the 1.8L T8D engine, yes its a mazda engine but modified slightly by kia. I'd say its 90% madza atleast. Mine doesn't have a distrabutor, mine uses coil packs.

meanwhile your waiting, try some lucas oil stabalizer. That might help, but get that fixed as soon as you can.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I have narrowed the oil leak to the distributor, but I am not sure if it is internal leak or no. It is not from the metalic part that attaches the dist. to the engine block, it is from the plastic part in front of it, it is the plastic part between the distributor cap and body. Do i need a whole new distributor or this is something that can be fixed?

·
Registered
107 Posts
its something you can fix, like I said, replace the gasket, then take a part the dist and check it, if ti looks like crap, get a new one. If tis misfiring, then get a new one. It all depends on the condition of the dist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts