Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage manual 1999, Mazda 626, Kawasaki 300 quad
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a sudden oil leak from the rocker cover of my 99 Sportage onto the exhaust manifold heat shield, sufficient for it to actually catch fire briefly, but with no apparent damage! I've replaced the gasket and it seems fine, but I still have a minor leak that seems to be coming from under the heat shield. I need to borrow some wheel ramps to investigate further, but it has me puzzled...I'm sure the new rocker cover gasket is OK, the dip stick tube seems OK, the oil filter is on the other side of the engine, the sump is too far away from where the oil appears. What other sources could there be for a oil leak on the left hand side of the engine?

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
Just thinking out loud, it could possibly be a freeze plug leaking. But I'm not sure if there are any in that area. A more knowledgable person should chime in soon.

Did anything unusual happen prior to the leak? (overheat, odd behavor from the vehicle, etc)

·
Registered
Kia Sportage manual 1999, Mazda 626, Kawasaki 300 quad
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it did overheat recently, towing a trailer. There are frost plugs everywhere on this motor...Ive replaced one of the three on that side of the engine...which involved removing the exhaust manifold. But that would cause a water leak, not oil.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
If it was me, I'd pull the heat shield off, clean up the area with a scrub brush & foaming engine cleaner (or Simple Green cleaner) so I could spot any new leak, and run so you can find the leak,

Here in the US, most auto parts stores sell (blue) "shop" paper towels, which are real handy to help find leaks: the shop towel turns a darker color when oil/liquid is on it - saves a lot of time finding a hard to spot leak.

--
When you installed the new valve cover gasket, did you use a dab of RTV at each corner of the cam risers at the front/back of the cover? (That is a common leak point.)

I'd also, without over-torquing, go back around the valve cover with a 1/4" ratchet drive / extension bar / 10mm socket and test each bolt, to make sure they are still evenly torqued..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts