Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is getting stupid. I have a 2006 Sedona, 3.8 liter Automatic. Roughly 280,000 miles. I bought this car me, so I know the history. About a month ago, it reallly started going through engine oil. About a quarter so every 100. Lies. All pooling up on the transmission. I changed the filter first, of course, then the oil pressure sending unit. Also changed the front valve cover gasket...since it was leaking onto the alternator. Still no joy. Still leaking just as bad, and oil I’m ediatelypooling up on the transmission. So today I decided to tackle the oil filter housing. I removed the upper and lower plenum, to pull it, and there is nothing that looks close o that. Ugh oil in there. Just a light dusting of oil and the normal filth. Before I dig any deeper, does anyone have other sugggestions

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rondo
13 Posts
I'm researching an oil leak problem for my 2009 Sedona and it seems like there is a high likelihood of failure of the oil pressure sensor seal. Oil would pool up on transmission with this leak.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm researching an oil leak problem for my 2009 Sedona and it seems like there is a high likelihood of failure of the oil pressure sensor seal. Oil would pool up on transmission with this leak.
Yeah, I changed that at the same time I changed the oil filter. Thank you for the fast reply though!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rondo
13 Posts
Just to be sure that we are talking about the same oil pressure sensor, you disassembled the upper and lower plenums to do the replacement?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to be sure that we are talking about the same oil pressure sensor, you disassembled the upper and lower plenums to do the replacement?
No. But there’s no oil leaking under the plenum. I’m changing the O-Rings anyway, but it doesn’t look like anything that could be that bad of a leak. The oil filter housing / oil cooler looks fairly dry. And I didn’t see my UV Dye anywhere under there. Just everywhere else under it!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rondo
13 Posts
This video is a little grainy and the guy has already removed the upper and lower plenums but its worth a look.
If there is no dye leaking across the top of your engine, from left to right, between the two valve covers, then your mystery continues. But I'm betting you will see some. You might be able to angle a mirror and get enough light in there to see the dye without removing anything.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,001 Posts
I changed the filter first, of course, then the oil pressure sending unit.
Just to be sure that we are talking about the same, you disassembled the upper and lower plenums to do the replacement?
@MarvinGabriel in your first post you mention that you changed the oil pressure sending/sensor unit, which oil pressure sensor did you change?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rondo
13 Posts
I'm going to be changing the same sensor that is in the youtube video link, the one buried under the lower plenum. Haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. But there’s no oil leaking under the plenum. I’m changing the O-Rings anyway, but it doesn’t look like anything that could be that bad of a leak. The oil filter housing / oil cooler looks fairly dry. And I didn’t see my UV Dye anywhere under there. Just everywhere else under it!
This video is a little grainy and the guy has already removed the upper and lower plenums but its worth a look.
If there is no dye leaking across the top of your engine, from left to right, between the two valve covers, then your mystery continues. But I'm betting you will see some. You might be able to angle a mirror and get enough light in there to see the dye without removing anything.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rondo
13 Posts
This video gives a better appreciation of the work involved to get to the oil pressure sensor. Its not the 3.8L, but the designs should be similar. I'm hoping a Kia mechanic, or somebody who has done this before, can jump in and say a few words about breaking down below the plenum on a 3.8L

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you again. The 3.5 and 3.8 aren’t even close to the same engine. Mine doesn’t look anything like that down there. I appreciate your assistance though.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,001 Posts

Do one of those wires lead to the pressure sensor?

If you pushed a Q-tip down through those openings for the wires it would tell you if there's oil below that aluminum cover, and if so you'd need to remove it.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
View attachment 114202

Do one of those wires lead to the pressure sensor?

If you pushed a Q-tip down through those openings for the wires it would tell you if there's oil below that aluminum cover, and if so you'd need to remove it.
I’m not sure if they lead to the sensor or not. But I’ll try the Q-Tip method tomorrow and see for sure! Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rondo
13 Posts
I haven't gone forward with any work on my 2009 Sedona oil leak and am seeking confirmation of a few things before going forward. I've posted a comment on the 2011 Sedona oil pressure switch Youtube video requesting confirmation he was working with a 3.8L. It's hard to tell if he was working on 3.8 or 3.5. Also, after going over the factory manual posted in this forum, the information in the manual just raises more questions. There is not a good description of the location of the oil pressure switch on the 3.8L, just a boiler plate description used for all other engines. I think I'll be circling my oil leak problem for a few days before getting it tackled.

Attachments

·
Registered
06 Grand Carnival
386 Posts
Those 2 cable looms goe to the 2 Knock Sensors, 1 for each bank, at 0:43 in the first video you can see the knock sensor and the bolt head to bank 1
In regard to the 3.5 V 3.8. they are similar in layout. the early 3.5 in the series 1 (1999 - 20006 ) were completly different engine. But the 2006- 2010 3.8 and the 2011- 2015 3.5 are very similar in desisighn and layout.
The oil pressure switch if i remember corrtectly is below the oil filter canister definatly not under the oil filter cooler housing as shown in the 2 vids

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rondo
13 Posts
I'm pretty convinced of the oil pressure switch location as displayed and described at this scene in the 3.5L video when he is physically removing it. Given the steps that MarvinGabriel has performed thus far in trying to find his oil leak, the only location left to investigate is this location.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those 2 cable looms goe to the 2 Knock Sensors, 1 for each bank, at 0:43 in the first video you can see the knock sensor and the bolt head to bank 1
In regard to the 3.5 V 3.8. they are similar in layout. the early 3.5 in the series 1 (1999 - 20006 ) were completly different engine. But the 2006- 2010 3.8 and the 2011- 2015 3.5 are very similar in desisighn and layout.
The oil pressure switch if i remember corrtectly is below the oil filter canister definatly not under the oil filter cooler housing as shown in the 2 vids
Right. I’m removing the oil cooler to replace the O rings. It’s a pain to go through layer after layer of parts just for an o-ring, but that the deal. I haven’t been able to get to it yet, due to a sick wife, and weather. Hopefully, I’ll have it all apart today. The , I suppose new knock sensors, so I don’t have to do this again later.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, it looks to me that I have to remove the entire cooling system on the rear of the engine to get the oil cooler out. It that correct?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts