Kia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sportage LX 4cyl Auto, 2012 Kia Sedona Ex Auto
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beyond the Oil Pressure Sensor and Valve Cover Gaskets, is there anything else that could be leaking very wet oil that is puddling into the valley between the cylinder heads on this vehicle...and then leadking out the bottom near the flywheel/transmission?

Background...2012 KIA Sedona 3.5 V6 with 260,000 miles. Original Owner, Well maintained, been very reliable. I had the oil dripping from the transmission inspection hole. After a quick trip to the transmission shop and some research, I couldn't really visually inspect the valley area between the cylinder heads so I used a metal rod to check for oil in the valley between the cylinder heads, like a dipstick, slipped in from the pasenger side in the operning betwen the engine and the intake manifold.. There was a lot of clearish oil. Using the information from this board and elsewhere, I concluded it must be the Oil Pressure Sensor that commonly leaks and then fails. Again after more reserach, I decided this job was more than I wanted to take on as a weekend DIY with multiple teenagers.

When my local shop called me after initial evaluation, they said I also had leaking valve cover gaskets. Since that was not a surprise and they were going to have the intake manifold off already, I told them to replace them as well. I also specifically asked on my drop off slip to "clean out the valley please" to get rid of residual oil...

Fast forward to today and based on the continued drips on the driveway, I climbed under the car and you know what I found. Oil dripping from the same spot. So I grabbed the same metal "dipstick" and sure enough, the valley is full of oil.

So again, what else could possibly be leaking this much oil into that area besides valve covers or that oil sensor? I can clearly see the new valve cover gaskets were installed. I suspect either they forgot to replace the sensor after doing the valve covers, botched the install or installed a faulty sensor.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sportage LX 4cyl Auto, 2012 Kia Sedona Ex Auto
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Beyond the Oil Pressure Sensor and Valve Cover Gaskets, is there anything else that could be leaking very wet oil that is puddling into the valley between the cylinder heads on this vehicle...and then leadking out the bottom near the flywheel/transmission?

Background...2012 KIA Sedona 3.5 V6 with 260,000 miles. Original Owner, Well maintained, been very reliable. I had the oil dripping from the transmission inspection hole. After a quick trip to the transmission shop and some research, I couldn't really visually inspect the valley area between the cylinder heads so I used a metal rod to check for oil in the valley between the cylinder heads, like a dipstick, slipped in from the pasenger side in the operning betwen the engine and the intake manifold.. There was a lot of clearish oil. Using the information from this board and elsewhere, I concluded it must be the Oil Pressure Sensor that commonly leaks and then fails. Again after more reserach, I decided this job was more than I wanted to take on as a weekend DIY with multiple teenagers.

When my local shop called me after initial evaluation, they said I also had leaking valve cover gaskets. Since that was not a surprise and they were going to have the intake manifold off already, I told them to replace them as well. I also specifically asked on my drop off slip to "clean out the valley please" to get rid of residual oil...

Fast forward to today and based on the continued drips on the driveway, I climbed under the car and you know what I found. Oil dripping from the same spot. So I grabbed the same metal "dipstick" and sure enough, the valley is full of oil.

So again, what else could possibly be leaking this much oil into that area besides valve covers or that oil sensor? I can clearly see the new valve cover gaskets were installed. I suspect either they forgot to replace the sensor after doing the valve covers, botched the install or installed a faulty sensor.
Mechanic looked yesterday and claims it was residual oil (I had specifically asked to make sure they clean that in original fix, apparently ignored). The oil is definitely now gone from the valley. We'll see if it comes back, fingers crossed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts