Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just did my first oil change on the Sorento (dealer did the first). As much as I'd like to have the dealer do all since they are free for 5 years (as long as they do all other maintenance as well) they are 30 miles away and on a good day it takes about 45min to get there. With the drive and the wait, the first oil change took 4 hours out of my day...so not really worth it to me. Already been changing the oil on our Soul myself so decided to do the Sorento as well.

This is my first vehicle with a cartridge filter (3.3l V6). I was a bit surprised when I removed the filter housing cover, it was completely empty. The car had only been off maybe 5-10 minutes. I figured there would be some way in the housing to stop oil from draining out when the vehicle wasn't running but there doesn't seem to be. The filter installed was an OEM and was properly seated in the small hole in the bottom of the housing and sealed with the o-ring. It doesn't appear the oil had just drained when I removed filter cap since I still had the drain plug out and no (or very little) additional oil came out when I removed the filter.

After refilling the oil and replacing the filter (OEM) I started the car to check for leaks. No leaks so I turned it off and started cleaning up. As I was replacing the engine cover I could hear gurgling from the oil filter housing which I guessed was the oil draining out. I went ahead and opened it back up and yep, all the oil was gone.

So my question is, is this normal for these engines to not hold oil in the filter when it isn't running? I tried searching but find conflicting information.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Optima SXL
82 Posts
I'm not familiar with KIA engines so where is the oil filter located on your Sorento? Does it mount vertically, on the bottom part of the engine, so you just unscrew it or is it mounted on the engine's side in more of a horizontal manner? I would expect there to be some oil in the filter when it's removed if it mounts to the bottom or side of the engine and I'd expect you to see some oil drain from the filter when you remove it. Maybe one of the KIA techs will chime in and answer your question. My wife's Subaru Forester has the oil filter mounted on the top of the engine so it drains down. My '16 Optima has the filter mounted on the lower, front side of the engine and will unscrew and lower out from the bottom. I'll be doing the oil change myself at around 1,500-2,000 miles and change over to Mobil One full synthetic at that time. I'll watch for some oil draining out when I break the seal.

Just read your post again and you mentioned removing a "cover" to access the filter. So, if you have a filter element that goes into a housing with a cover that seals it in, it's sounds normal to me for some oil to drain out of the housing. A "spin-on" cartridge type of filter will always have some oil remaining inside when its removed.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
844 Posts
So my question is, is this normal for these engines to not hold oil in the filter when it isn't running? I tried searching but find conflicting information.
It's normal. There is no check valve in place to prevent the oil from draining back into the oil pan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Coming from a 2014 MDX...had an oil "gauge" on the cluster which would give percentages when the oil should be changed down to 0% and then showing negatives if the oil was not changed. The KIA dealer says oil/filter every 3750 miles on my Sorento v-6 which just shows the maintenance schedule on the cluster but has no percentage "gauge" like the Acura MDX.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento 2.4L FWD
418 Posts
Just did my first oil change on the Sorento (dealer did the first). As much as I'd like to have the dealer do all since they are free for 5 years (as long as they do all other maintenance as well) they are 30 miles away and on a good day it takes about 45min to get there. With the drive and the wait, the first oil change took 4 hours out of my day...so not really worth it to me. Already been changing the oil on our Soul myself so decided to do the Sorento as well.

This is my first vehicle with a cartridge filter (3.3l V6). I was a bit surprised when I removed the filter housing cover, it was completely empty. The car had only been off maybe 5-10 minutes. I figured there would be some way in the housing to stop oil from draining out when the vehicle wasn't running but there doesn't seem to be. The filter installed was an OEM and was properly seated in the small hole in the bottom of the housing and sealed with the o-ring. It doesn't appear the oil had just drained when I removed filter cap since I still had the drain plug out and no (or very little) additional oil came out when I removed the filter.

After refilling the oil and replacing the filter (OEM) I started the car to check for leaks. No leaks so I turned it off and started cleaning up. As I was replacing the engine cover I could hear gurgling from the oil filter housing which I guessed was the oil draining out. I went ahead and opened it back up and yep, all the oil was gone.

Thanks.
there is no drain-back valve on your particular filter design. it takes seconds to get your oil pressure up; so no big deal.

ps: he's got the v6 (the 4cyl have the filter under the engine). the normal filter has an anti-drain back.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I guess I was just expecting a check valve of some sort to not allow all the oil to drain since Kia seems to use the anti-drain back valve on their spin on filters as a reason for not using aftermarket. Guess that would also explain while the oil pressure light stays on longer in the Sorento than in the Soul which has the spin on type filter. Rarely see the oil pressure light on the Soul on startup but see it for 1-2 seconds on every startup on the Sorento.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I guess I was just expecting a check valve of some sort to not allow all the oil to drain since Kia seems to use the anti-drain back valve on their spin on filters as a reason for not using aftermarket. Guess that would also explain while the oil pressure light stays on longer in the Sorento than in the Soul which has the spin on type filter. Rarely see the oil pressure light on the Soul on startup but see it for 1-2 seconds on every startup on the Sorento.
its the system check. :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its the system check. :)
Yes, but there still has to be sufficient oil pressure to turn the light off. I'm assuming in the Soul since the oil filter is full of oil, there is no or at least not a noticeable delay before the pressure is high enough to turn off the light whereas in the Sorento V6 which has to fill the oil filter first, there is a couple second delay while that happens before there is pressure to turn off the light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts