Kia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had what looked like a cup of oil on the garage floor after I pulled out. The oil level was still full and I had no warning lights so I drove to the KIA dealership. A couple hours later they called and said the oil filter was leaking. I have 5400 miles and my only oil change done at Big O Tires used an after market oil filter. The service department manager said the KIA oil filter has a slightly different fitting than the after market ones. He said the V-6 puts out alot of pressure and the after market filters not sitting right comes loose. Does this sound right?

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,083 Posts
Originally posted by Baseball Bernie@Dec 25 2004, 10:51 PM
I had what looked like a cup of oil on the garage floor after I pulled out. The oil level was still full and I had no warning lights so I drove to the KIA dealership. A couple hours later they called and said the oil filter was leaking. I have 5400 miles and my only oil change done at Big O Tires used an after market oil filter. The service department manager said the KIA oil filter has a slightly different fitting than the after market ones. He said the V-6 puts out alot of pressure and the after market filters not sitting right comes loose. Does this sound right?

I doubt it highly. what i would do is do another oil change no matter the mileage and check to see if the old oil filters seal came off and is there still where you put the filter. it happens more han ya think..... hope this helps

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
279 Posts
It is very possible that the filter was not seated correctly, not a problem with the filter just it wasn't tightened fully or some such non-sense.

When I had my engine trouble they said it could be my filter since I change my own oil, according to the dealership the kia filter has some special do-da to keep oil in the lifters. I only use purelator pure 1 filters, pretty pricy as filters go and I used 1 on my sedona and 1 on my amanti. No problems on the sedona and as we found out big internal problems on my amanti.

I've had filters leak on cars where I changed the oil, well 1, it simply didn't seat correctly at the time.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,083 Posts
Originally posted by RDNK4RE@Dec 29 2004, 07:56 AM
It is very possible that the filter was not seated correctly, not a problem with the filter just it wasn't tightened fully or some such non-sense. 

When I had my engine trouble they said it could be my filter since I change my own oil, according to the dealership the kia filter has some special do-da to keep oil in the lifters.  I only use purelator pure 1 filters, pretty pricy as filters go and I used 1 on my sedona and 1 on my amanti.  No problems on the sedona and as we found out big internal problems on my amanti.

I've had filters leak on cars where I changed the oil, well 1, it simply didn't seat correctly at the time.
about what kia told you they have a special oil filter do dad thats a load of crap. when i used to go to the dealer to get oil changes done they were using wix oil filters.

ive done all my own oil changes in my kia for the last oh 100,000 miles every 3K i usually use a k&n oil filter..... never a problem!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
279 Posts
Originally posted by 1fastkia@Dec 29 2004, 08:15 AM
about what kia told you they have a special oil filter do dad thats a load of crap. when i used to go to the dealer to get oil changes done they were using wix oil filters.

ive done all my own oil changes in my kia for the last oh 100,000 miles every 3K i usually use a k&n oil filter..... never a problem!
I know it was crap that's why when clinton told me that on the phone I did the eye roll. I've changed enough oil to fill a tank truck, only had 1 filter leak.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Originally posted by 1fastkia@Dec 29 2004, 08:15 AM

I can assure you kia does indeed have there own oil filters. Complete with korean labels.

And for some reason lots of aftermarkets dont match up right with Kias, see it alot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Why would anyone want to take a chance of jeopardizing your warranty by not using genuine KIA parts?????? I think it is very possible that other than KIA after market parts MAY NOT WORK AS WELL as the oil filter not seating well as mentioned earlier......It is possible....I know for a fact that when I owned a Hyundai XG350 the ONLY transaxle fluid that could be used and not invalidate the warranty was Hyundai and Kia approved tranny oil and I know of one poor soul who used some commmercial brand and voided his warranty (3 grand to fix !!). So I really don't see why the KIA oil filters wouldn't be the choice as they are designed specifically for KIA. I would hope a couple of bucks that you might save at your local parts store would not be the reason for not using KIA filters or for that matter other KIA parts. Check with your service rep first and if he says ok then use whatever BUT if you go back with problem that can be attributed to a less than appropiate part..........you got a problem......Yeah...I have used various other filters on some of my older cars way back when........but no more......only the genuine article for me.......and I do not believe the information re the oil filter is a load of crap AT ALL.....as far as calling it "special"..I think this means nothing more than an oil filter manufactured by or specifically for KIA........regards....rayray

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gentlemen, It is true that their may very well be a difference in oil filters, some engines have high pressure oil pumps and most deffinatly a regular filter will not work. It is even possible to cause the filter insides to get in the engine and plug main oil lines. If you investigate you will find this true with say with Dodge Diesels, they have special oil filters because of High pressure oil pumps.. Maybe kia is the same.
However if one should pick an equivalent oil filter recomended for kia from the oil filter mfg, this filter should be safe for Kia use. If there is a failure do to using the oil filter, seems to me the oil filter mfg would be the defendant/

·
Registered
279 Posts
you want to know the real problem, go buy an oil filter some time. I have gone to the parts store a number of times and whats listed is the wrong size filter, the difference is I know its wrong and don't buy it, I get the correct oil filter.

I was buying a filter for 1 of the 2 3.5's I have in the sedona or amanti and what was listed was a filter for the 4 cylinder kia engines I know I had a sephia for a while. The 4 cylinder engines have a much smaller oil filter that would screw onto the 3.5's but would leak everywhere, honestly I don't see how you couldn't notice just putting it on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I didn't think you had to, but you do need to use the hyundai/kia oil filters on the amanti. I change my own oil and i put on a total grip advanced automotive stores filter on my 3.5 amanti and the car drove as if a brake was stuck..It was sluggish and heavy feeling. no leaks though. Any ways I went to the dealer and bought their oil filter for the car and installed it and the car felt much better and was back to normal. So make sure you pick the OEM filter. I didn't think you needed to but u do. It's a pain the butt but it's the way it must be done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't change my oil, but I like to have synthetic oil in my car. My KIA dealer doesn't have synthetic so I have wal-mart change my oil, but I buy the filter from KIA. The filter Wal Mart has listed for the Amanti cost a little under $6 and the factory filter from the dealer cost me $6.38. I hand them my filter and watch them put it on my car. You have to watch them carefully. Not just drop the car off and leave. When they are done with my car I check a couple of things. Like do I see oil any where on the bottom of my car. Take a towel for that because you have to crawl on the ground to see the underside of your car. I also check the oil. I don't want to turn a corner and have my low oil pressure light to come on. I also mark the filter before I hand it to them with the date and mileage, so if I am ever questioned about an oil change I have the reciept for the oil filter and a reciept for the oil change, and the filter is marked. I don't distrust Wal Mart, but I don't trust them either. I also never want to be in a position where I need an engine, and the dealer tells me they won't cover it because they say I didn't keep up with my service. I think you have to be a little more carefull when you take a vehicle to somewhere other than the dealer. I hope this is helpfull!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong and I am definitely not mechanically inclined. I have no problem taking my car into Kia and paying about $5. more for them to do it than aftermarket.
I agree that if I went to an aftermarket company for an OC that I would use a KIA filter. But if I have to drive to KIA to get it why not let them do it. If htere is ever a problem I have the papers that KIA did it and there is not a question they can bring about the work.
Not rich by any means, but about $5. for peace of mind seems worth it in - just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
There was a TSB out about problems using aftermarket oil filters, but it may have been for the Optima. I use genuine Kia filters in my Sorento. I will not use a FRAM or K&N filter. FRAM filters are cheap pieces of $#%^ and standard paper filters filter smaller particles than K&N. Just like their air filters, the K&N filters flow more but I doubt you'd ever be able to tell a difference with the oil filter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
WEP........my sentiments exactly........I still stand by my statements I made almost a year ago ( A YEAR !!!!!!!YIKES !!!!!!).....going on two years with my Amanti and it is still a joy to drive :clap:

·
Registered
2004 Kia Amanti
106 Posts
I've been using Purolator Pure 1 filters. -No problems. If you go aftermarket, definately don't skimp.

Wix is also an excellent filter.

Avoid Fram like the plague.

I've been using Purolator or Wix on previous Hyundai's I've had with no problems.

I also change my own oil, I don't trust the 16 yr old kids usually working at those quick lube places....

This site has some very good reading on oil and filter anaylsis etc.

www.bobistheoilguy.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.