Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned Honda, Toyota, Acura, Pontiac, Subaru, and Plymouth vehicles (showing my age) and never have I had an Oil Filter as difficult to get to as this Kia Sedona! Wow. All I can say is, "What were you thinking Kia??"

I changed my oil after 722 miles (for that new engine break-in) and didn't realize where the Oil Filter was until this weekend. (I know, my own fault for not looking before I purchased the van) Man, am I disappointed. You see, I do ALL my own maintenance on my vehicles and love when manufacturers make it easy to get to things. But this Kia, forget it! The Oil Filter is rediculous and also the Transmission Drain Plug is right above a huge metal cross beam! What the?? So much for draining my tranny fluid! I will have to get an extraction pump for this. The Oil Filter is very difficult to turn because it's hard to reach your hand up through the metal cross member. Grrrrrr I managed by using one of those ratchet style, round oil filter removal tools but this is also hard to manipulate up in there. It took me over 30 minutes to get the filter off because I had to learn how to get in there, plus it was VERY tight. Way too tight to turn by hand. So, once the initial tightness break happened I could then get it off a little more easy. Still, it was a pain in the neck. More so than any other vehicle I've ever owned.

It's just a good thing I only need to do an oil/filter change every 7,500 miles once I get on my scheduled program. These first oil changes are just for the new engine wear. Then, using a good synthetic oil and good filter a 7,500 change is fine. Thank goodness!!

The tranny fluid changes will have to be extracted. I don't see a good way to drain it without making a total mess.

This is a shame. Manufacturers should seriously take this into consideration when designing a vehicle for those who still like to get their hands dirty.

Anyone else have any issues? Or, do you have any secrets to the madness of the oil filter and tranny fluid drain plug position?

:puzzled:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Kia are a PITA with anything like that...
You want fun.. try changing the filter on a carens diesel... I have never seen such a cruddy setup for maintainence as I have on Kia, one department designs engines, other does chassis, most car makers make them talk to each other to make issues for service items a easy task.. not at kia.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Murphwiz,

After reading White Sedona's post I'm left wondering if I should tackle the oil filter myself on my Sedona?

I supose I won't know untill I try it but is it something that can be done working off a pair of road ramps?
Seacam

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The Diesel sedona is actually one of the easier ones, filters at the front hanging down.
My tip is, get the filter so it's just loose enough to turn by hand, do not undo further or it will get VERY messy!
Then punch a hole in the bottom of the filter with a screwdriver or similar, then turn filter slightly to let air in top and oil to drain fully from filter.
That way it won't run down the sides, over your hands, down your arm etc etc.. much cleaner!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The initial change was more difficult because the filter was on there way too tight. Once you do get it off and change it out you can turn it by hand to fit tight and then next change it won't be so bad. It's still hard to get to though and I shake my head sometimes why Kia did certain things the more I look around my van. Oh well, as long as I can change my own oil and extract the tranny fluid for those changes I'll be ok.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello White Sedona,

I must find out if the V6 is larger then the diesel engine.

I agree, Kia didn't put a lot of thought into engine layout.

I have read some of you American Sedona owners have tackled the oil filter & trany' fluid change and your driveways have ended up looking like an oil pit in the Sahra.

As for the timing belt, forget it, even seasoned Kia mech' head for the hills when they see a Sedona.

I can't remember if it was Spec SX or some such brave sole who attempted and succeded with a TB change but it took 'em 8 hours.
Seacam

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
Originally posted by seacam@Aug 30 2005, 08:34 AM
Hello White Sedona,

I must find out if the V6 is larger then the diesel engine.

I agree, Kia didn't put a lot of thought into engine layout.

I have read some of you American Sedona owners have tackled the oil filter & trany' fluid change and your driveways have ended up looking like an oil pit in the Sahra.

As for the timing belt, forget it, even seasoned Kia mech' head for the hills when they see a Sedona.

I can't remember if it was Spec SX or some such brave sole who attempted and succeded with a TB change but it took 'em 8 hours.
Seacam
to put this in some sort of prespective as a reteired forklift mechanic i have changed filters on forklifts that could not be seen just felt, and even had to remone the filter bracket assy holding the filter on to get to it, you don't put forklifts on lifts. so no matter where they put it on a car to me is a piece of cake :beer:

and as for timing belts it took me a day and a half to put a timing belt on a mitubishi engine in forklift another :beer:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello

If only I had your confidence but I like to see what I'm doing.

As for a day & half to change a TB, the forklift would have ended up in the river.
Seacam

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDi SE & 2004 Accord 2.2I-CDTI Exec
278 Posts
Just done my 90k oil change tonight. I thought it was a doddle of a job. :clap:

I jacked the front up 6" and dropped the sump oil, funnelled into into and old container and then went for the filter.

Luckily my filter was not tight so I followed Murphwiz'z recommendation and pierced the bottom to drain.( I'm actually typing this as its draining!)

Dunno whether I've misread to post about the gearbox drain but that doesn't look too bad either. I'm sure the drain is right at the bottom...but maybe its just a boss shape on the casting.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Ebod,

What brand filter did you use?

Did you flush your your engine?

I was under the impression that once you removed the oil sump plug, the oil spilit
out over a cross member and made a heck of a mess or did I get this wrong?

I was interested to read you "funnelled it into and old container", was there room?

Did you re-use your sump plug and did you find the trany' plug.

How easy is it to remove the fuel filter? I want to drain it.

I have no where to do this work but road side and I have no wish to leave oil all over the place.
Seacam

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Diesel Sedona is easy for oil changes..
Sump plug points out forwars to the Nearside, just got to catch it!

Fuel filter, you might be able tosqueeze your hand in the gap to drain it, otherwise remove the 2 bolts holding filter brakcet in, pull whole thing up, and loosen clamp bolt.

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDi SE & 2004 Accord 2.2I-CDTI Exec
278 Posts
Originally posted by seacam@Sep 1 2005, 10:25 PM
Hello Ebod,

What brand filter did you use?

Did you flush your your engine?

I was under the impression that once you removed the oil sump plug, the oil spilt
out over a cross member and made a heck of a mess or did I get this wrong?

I was interested to read you "funnelled it into and old container", was there room?

Did you re-use your sump plug and did you find the trany' plug.

How easy is it to remove the fuel filter? I want to drain it.

I have no where to do this work but road side and I have no wish to leave oil all over the place.
Seacam

Oil & Air filters from a motor factor in Leeds called Andrew Page ( £20 quid )
Oil bought direct from Millers Oils in Brighouse ( 2 x 5tlr @£23 quid ea )

I didn't flush the engine in full, just had few ltrs of semi synth oil spare so sent it through to help out any bottom sump crud.

Re sump plug, you might be getting mixed up with the gearbox drain. The engine sump drain is right in view if you neal down and look under the front of the car.

I drain the oil into a plastic washing up bowl, then put a funnel over an empty 5ltr tub and poured it into that. ( just been to the recycle tip tonight and put over 10ltrs of oil into the recycle drum, since both my cars have just had an oil change )

Of course I re-used my sump plug...it doesn't have a use-by date! :p

I didn't renew my fuel filter as it supposedly had one at 80K according to the history. But I already removed it about 3 weeks ago just as I bought the car, because the sedimentor light is permanently on, I took it off and drained it. As Murphwiz said, its easier to just unbolt it. Pop the 3 pipes of the top by pinching the clips with your fingers, pul the filter up and unplug the sedimentor multiplug, then drain and dispose the diesel.

I did my oil change on my sloped drive with no ramps. See my user phote to see the car in situe

I didn't need ramps, just jacked the front crossmember ( under the radiator )

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Ebod,

Thanks for all that.

Ebod, I am sure somewhere I read it was essential to replace the sump plug with a new one or face oil leakage, something to do with a fitted crush washer.
Seacam

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've never changed the oil in my Sedona ($30 at Valvoline Instant Oil Change, to me, is well worth the money!). But, there is almost always an small oil stain on the driveway right after I get the oil changed. At first I thought they didn't screw either the drain plug or filter on tightly enough, but as I found out, there is a crossmember beam of some sort that the oil ends up hitting when they're changing the oil. Unless they clean it off really well, it will drip off that beam for the next 2 or 3 days, right onto the driveway.

Other than a couple of what I call "refinement issues," I love my Sedona. These refinement issues include things like the oil issue, a sloppy-shifting tranny after it's driven 150+ miles, windshield wipers that don't go all the way down when it's windy, etc. These are pretty minor things, but it's indicative of a company that's still "learning." I guess this is Korea going through what Japan did in the 1970s.

·
Registered
2008 Rondo V6 2002 Sedona
67 Posts
Since there was talk about changing the transmission oil in this topic, does anyone have a good idea of what tool to use to turn the nut since its under the support bar and there's little nobs sticking down from the tranmission on each side of it? An adjustable wrench wouldn't get by the nobs, an open or closed box wrench maybe? Any idea how the dealerships do it?

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
'09 Kia Carnival, '10 Kia Grand Carnival
243 Posts
Maybe the Australian-spec Carnivals are slightly different but my oil-filter is a doddle to get to. It's next to the lower pulley on the front of the engine (therefore on the driver's side of the engine-bay) & in clear view. I can quite easily get my arm down there & my hand on it with purchase from the top or the bottom. It is sideways so it'll be messy but that's what drip/collection trays are for. :)

OK, just re-read the post. The tricky one is the 3.5 V6, not our lil 2.5. Different engine, same engine-bay. :p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts