Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On a 2016 Kia Soul... Anyone else have an issue with the oil drain plug? Coming loose, coming off, constantly dripping oil, cross threaded by dealer, or over tightened? My elderly parents car just loss the oil drain plug and blew the motor. Now we have to dal with the dealer to determine fault (theirs as they changed the oil less than 30 days ago). Oil drain plugs do not just come off the oil pan!

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,588 Posts
On a 2016 Kia Soul... Anyone else have an issue with the oil drain plug? Coming loose, coming off, constantly dripping oil, cross threaded by dealer, or over tightened? My elderly parents car just loss the oil drain plug and blew the motor. Now we have to deal with the dealer to determine fault (theirs as they changed the oil less than 30 days ago). Oil drain plugs do not just come off the oil pan!
One thing in their favor is that the oil service was done by the dealership, but something that might present a problem is the "collateral damage" - the dealership may argue that the engine would not have been destroyed if it was shut down immediately on the oil pressure lamp coming on, which would happen very soon after the oil plug dropped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing in their favor is that the oil service was done by the dealership, but something that might present a problem is the "collateral damage" - the dealership may argue that the engine would not have been destroyed if it was shut down immediately on the oil pressure lamp coming on, which would happen very soon after the oil plug dropped.
Thanks. I wonder how many of us are constantly watching for an engine warning light of any sorts to come on? Doing a constant scan of engine and related information? Unless you fly jets. LOL.

·
Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,588 Posts
Thanks. I wonder how many of us are constantly watching for an engine warning light of any sorts to come on? Doing a constant scan of engine and related information? Unless you fly jets. LOL.
Oil pressure low light coming on while driving would certainly catch my attention, and I think most folks - that doesn't take a conscious scan of all engine related information.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
2020 Kia Optima Plug-In Hybrid
1 Posts
This very same thing has happened to me. My 2020 Kia Optima Plug-In Hybrid has 28,000 miles and all the oil changes has been done by the dealer Irvine/Carson. Well, it was time for an oil change and the oil plug came out, the oil drained out the car and blew the engine. I think this is a bigger manufacture issue but Kia is allowing the consumer to pay for their mistake. Neglect and trash is this company. When they checked the oil pan, the oil plug was inside but they do not want to except fault.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
185 Posts
A few years ago, with a different car, I got an oil change at a Walmart Service Center.
On my way home, on I-75, the Check Engine light began to flash, and then the oil light came on solid. Those lights are impossible to miss!!!
I knew in an instant what had happened. Something was not torqued down to spec, and my new oil was spread over several miles of I-75. So I slowed down from 80mph, to about 55mph and kept going, as the engine was still running great.
I got off of the Interstate at the next exit and drove another ~ 10 miles to another Walmart Service Center.
I got there just as they were closing up, and I explained to the manager what was going on. He took my car into the Oil Change bay and in a few minutes he came back out and told me that the problem was the Oil Filter, which he removed with just two fingers. When he removed the drain plug, all he got was a few drops.
He put on a NEW filter and refilled the engine with oil and backed the car out to where I was waiting. He said to me, "How on earth did you drive that car in here with NO oil in the engine? And it's still running smooth as silk. ?"
My answer was just one word...."PROLONG". He just smiled and walked back into the shop.
He knew what I was talking about, because Walmart used to sell "Prolong Anti Friction Oil Additive". That car's engine had been treated with Prolong since it's first 3k oil change. That was back in 2009, and every engine I've owned since then has also been treated with Prolong.
Font Electric blue Logo Magenta Brand

As for what a jackleg mechanic can do to an oil plug...here's just one example:
Household hardware Magenta Circuit component Auto part Nickel

All that plug ever needs is a 14mm socket and no more than 10 ft/lb of torque.
I've been told that the guy who did that, no longer works for KIA. :ROFLMAO:

Happy Holidays, Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just further proof ^^^^^^ that engine treatments like Prolong, Ceratec, MoS2 and Lubegard Biotech are much-much more than just Snake Oils.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
185 Posts
Oil additives are sort of like ball point pens.....they all work, to some extent, but some just work better than others.
I would certainly NOT waste my hard earned money on a product that did not work, as advertised.
:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts