Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On a 2016 Kia Soul... Anyone else have an issue with the oil drain plug? Coming loose, coming off, constantly dripping oil, cross threaded by dealer, or over tightened? My elderly parents car just loss the oil drain plug and blew the motor. Now we have to dal with the dealer to determine fault (theirs as they changed the oil less than 30 days ago). Oil drain plugs do not just come off the oil pan!

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
On a 2016 Kia Soul... Anyone else have an issue with the oil drain plug? Coming loose, coming off, constantly dripping oil, cross threaded by dealer, or over tightened? My elderly parents car just loss the oil drain plug and blew the motor. Now we have to deal with the dealer to determine fault (theirs as they changed the oil less than 30 days ago). Oil drain plugs do not just come off the oil pan!
One thing in their favor is that the oil service was done by the dealership, but something that might present a problem is the "collateral damage" - the dealership may argue that the engine would not have been destroyed if it was shut down immediately on the oil pressure lamp coming on, which would happen very soon after the oil plug dropped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing in their favor is that the oil service was done by the dealership, but something that might present a problem is the "collateral damage" - the dealership may argue that the engine would not have been destroyed if it was shut down immediately on the oil pressure lamp coming on, which would happen very soon after the oil plug dropped.
Thanks. I wonder how many of us are constantly watching for an engine warning light of any sorts to come on? Doing a constant scan of engine and related information? Unless you fly jets. LOL.

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
Thanks. I wonder how many of us are constantly watching for an engine warning light of any sorts to come on? Doing a constant scan of engine and related information? Unless you fly jets. LOL.
Oil pressure low light coming on while driving would certainly catch my attention, and I think most folks - that doesn't take a conscious scan of all engine related information.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I suspect if you want to safely pull over if the oil pressure light comes on you do not want to shut the engine off otherwise you will lose power steering and power breaks so buy the time you get the car stopped and turned off the engine will be damaged due to lack of oil pressure.

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
I suspect if you want to safely pull over if the oil pressure light comes on you do not want to shut the engine off otherwise you will lose power steering and power breaks so buy the time you get the car stopped and turned off the engine will be damaged due to lack of oil pressure.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
Ontario, Canada
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts