Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I purchased a new Sorento XE Diesel in September 2004, I have travelled 8000 mile since, I have just checked the oil level and the oil level is on the minimum line. Is this normal? I must admit I did not check the level on collection, I assumed it would have the correct level of oil in! Is it normal to use this amount of oil for such a minimal amount of miles? There are no oil leaks.
I would appreciate any advice, thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
8000 miles from max to min, sounds well within spec to me, thats about 1 litre, nearly time for service!
For some reason Diesels tend to use a bit of oil when running in, but do keep an eye on the level.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:(
Can't believe you havent checked the oil yet after 8000 miles ..... not very sensible is it !!!!!
Diesels always use more oil than petrol.
Best advice for you is to check the oil & water every couple of weeks .... cheeper in the long run than a new engine !!!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't think that's too bad in a new engine. I got a 2005 XS CRDi Auto done just over one thousand (in 5 months !!!!!) and I needed about a litre to get that back to full. Murphwiz is dead on when he say's that new diesels do tend to use a bit more when bedding in. The only diesel I've had that didn't use any was a 2.2 HDi Peugeot lump. That thing never used a drop between services and was driven hard, unlike this car that spends all it's time now in my garage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
:D
No ......... the service intervals in the UK are every 10,000 miles. It maybe that in Norway your intervals are different because of the harsh climate !
Also I note you drive a much inferior make of car to our Sorento's ...... perhaps you should'a paid the difference to buy the Sorento, therefore getting longer service intervals !!
Cheers
Mark
:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts