Kia Forum banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage EX AWD Pacific Blue
3 Posts
My 17 Sportage EX used no oil either for the first 90k miles. Now it burns more than a quart every 1k miles. Did the oil tests and carbon cleaning and it's back at the dealer with no measurable oil on the dipstick after 953 miles. The problem literally started 5k miles ago. Don't be complacent and think since you don't have the problem now you never will.
Do you know what the dealer is going to do? That's a bunch of oil for a little 4 cyl to burn! Keep us posted please

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
527 Posts
My 17 Sportage EX used no oil either for the first 90k miles. Now it burns more than a quart every 1k miles. Did the oil tests and carbon cleaning and it's back at the dealer with no measurable oil on the dipstick after 953 miles. The problem literally started 5k miles ago. Don't be complacent and think since you don't have the problem now you never will.
If it's burning that much oil you should be spewing blue smoke behind you (especially when accelerating). If it's not smoking, then you have to be leaking it somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
If it's burning that much oil you should be spewing blue smoke behind you (especially when accelerating). If it's not smoking, then you have to be leaking it somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Dispensed out the tailpipe. No blue smoke required and slowly ruins many catalytic convertors.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,764 Posts
If you find out the issue, let us know. I don't think you can have a sudden problem like that without some type of issue like a blown gasket, leak, bad hose, tank of bad gas causing backfires, or physical damage. Did you do a timing belt service?

·
Registered
2013 Optima EX, 2017 Sportage EX
43 Posts
The dealer called today. Failed the knock sensor test. No leaks, it's the first thing they checked before doing the oil consumption test. Putting an engine in it, I expect it to be a reman long block but will confirm when I call them tomorrow.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts