Kia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Optima 2016 EX & Kia Sportage 2017 Ex
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hello everyone
Is there any idea why does the kia Sportage 2.4 gdi consum oil !
I use to add in each time about 300 ml
In 1000 mile !!
My car run 60,000 mile
Im using acdelco 5w-30
No leack
Pcv valve replaced
Little white smoke come if i the rpm over 4000

Some of technician says that this is comen problem in kia
And the problem is from the valve seals or piston rings

So any one had the same problem
And if yes how did they fix

Thanks
Finally kia announced TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN for this issue ..

Plz check the attachment

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,762 Posts
Finally kia announced TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN for this issue ..

Plz check the attachment
It surprises me that they think that oil consumption of 1 qt per 1000 miles is acceptable!!!! I have hardly any usage in my covered '17 2.4....

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,608 Posts
It surprises me that they think that oil consumption of 1 qt per 1000 miles is acceptable!!!! ...
It's simply their statement of what the oil loss needs to be (worse than) in order for engine replacement to be approved. I very much doubt that anyone at Kia, particularly the engineers, considers anything remotely close to an oil loss of 1 quart per 1K miles to actually be acceptable.

This TSB for certain is a major concession by the automaker. They are for the first time documenting the fact that they actually do have excessive oil usage in multiple engines, across a number of model years. Although they have been quietly replacing (primarily Theta) engines for excessive oil consumption over the past few years, all of those had been done ad-hoc, with no official, documented policy covering that activity. Now they have finally publicly admitted to the problem, for all to see.

And another very interesting thing coming from this TSB is their new additional step of attempting to clean deposits from the engine, before conceding defeat and replacing the engine. IMO this amounts an admission on KIA's part that the primary cause of oil consumption in their engines is piston ring issues, just as many on these forums have speculated about over the past few years.

And taking that one step further, it makes me wonder if they are also saying (between the lines) that there is a significant correlation between these ring/oil consumption issues and the large number of knocking/seized engine failures in Kia/Hyundai GDI/Turbo engines. Speculation for certain, but perhaps there is more yet to be spilled out of the automaker's guts.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,762 Posts
It's simply their statement of what the oil loss needs to be (worse than) in order for engine replacement to be approved. I very much doubt that anyone at Kia, particularly the engineers, considers anything remotely close to an oil loss of 1 quart per 1K miles to actually be acceptable.

This TSB for certain is a major concession by the automaker. They are for the first time documenting the fact that they actually do have excessive oil usage in multiple engines, across a number of model years. Although they have been quietly replacing (primarily Theta) engines for excessive oil consumption over the past few years, all of those had been done ad-hoc, with no official, documented policy covering that activity. Now they have finally publicly admitted to the problem, for all to see.

And another very interesting thing coming from this TSB is their new additional step of attempting to clean deposits from the engine, before conceding defeat and replacing the engine. IMO this amounts an admission on KIA's part that the primary cause of oil consumption in their engines is piston ring issues, just as many on these forums have speculated about over the past few years.

And taking that one step further, it makes me wonder if they are also saying (between the lines) that there is a significant correlation between these ring/oil consumption issues and the large number of knocking/seized engine failures in Kia/Hyundai GDI/Turbo engines. Speculation for certain, but perhaps there is more yet to be spilled out of the automaker's guts.
Didn't quite look at it that way, but you make total sense.... Great explanation.... Given that the majority of us don't have this issue, it makes one think that it is a manufacturing quality control issue. If it is a design flaw, then it is probably one of manufacturing tolerances that are too tight for the production line. If you ever find out what the actual problem is, let us know as it may affect the next car we buy....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hello everyone
In 1000 mile !!
My car run 60,000 mile
Im using acdelco 5w-30
No leack
Pcv valve replaced

Thanks
Hi ajmawi
Yes, others do have oil consumption problems with the 2.4L
You can see more on the Hyundai Form about the 2.4L oil consumption. (search "oil consumption)
I frequent both the KIA and Hyundai forums because my wife and I have and have had 2 Hyundai's and 3 KIA's.
Currently we have a 2017 Sportage SX and a 2020 Hyundai Tucson.
As you will note, many will say they have no oil consumption problem, but that does not negate those that do.
Right now my nephew is having a loss of about 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles on his 2017 SantaFe Sport 2.4L.
His Hyundai service dealer says they will only start their check on his oil problem when it gets worse than 1 qt in a 1000 miles. GREAT - Huh ?
In reference to those who have "no oil consumption problem" problem;
it reminds me of the current recall on the later model Hyundai's (including our 2020 Tucson),
they are recalling 180,000 vehicles for ABS related faulty pc boards that can cause fires.
According to NHTSA Hyundai is only aware of 12 fires out of 180,000 vehicles being recalled .
So - Hopefully it is only a small percentage of Hyundai & KIA vehicles that have an oil consumption problem. :unsure:

·
Registered
2016 Rio SX Hatch
565 Posts
We did our 48,000 KM service about 4,000 KM ago........I checked the oil last week and we were below the minimum !!!

Never had low oil before, as I check it regularly out of habit. Thinking the tech probably under filled it......so I added one litre, and am checking it every week over the next eight weeks, before I go to the dealer with the TSB in my hand. My warranty expires in June of this year too......so, I need to be in their records before then if this is a valid complaint.

Using 1 litre of oil every 1,000 miles (1,700 KMS) is totally unacceptable consumption in any engine though, except for an M64 or earlier air cooled Porsche 911.

I'll keep this thread updated for reference.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,762 Posts
So, I have a '17 EX with the 2.4 and I'm at a little over 22,000 miles. I do my oil changes every 7500 miles as I've said before. With less that 500 miles to go before the next oil change and no oil added, I'm about 7/8 full on the dipstick. So even after 4 years of owning this car, I'm still not losing hardly any oil. And I'm NOT an ECO driver. I like putting it in Sport mode and stepping on the gas. While the oil is dark, previous testing has shown it is still highly serviceable and you shouldn't use the color of oil to determine whether it is good or not (again as I've said before). I know some of you have oil burners, but given the data I've seen, most of us are just fine. If you look at other brands, like Honda and Audi, they also have some complaints about burning oil. If you are burning 1 quart per 1000 miles, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR CAR. Perhaps I'm just lucky, but luck has never been one of my hallmarks. I haven't had a car that burned significant oil in the last 50 years and for the last few decades, I have never changed the oil in any of my cars sooner than the manufacturer recommended. On my newer cars, I always have the oil changed at the dealer in case there are any TSB's to be implemented. The other thing, is that since I've always wanted the car exactly my way, I've always special ordered my car. Does that make a difference? I really don't know, but my guess is that special orders may receive a bit more attention at the factory....

One other thought... I never step hard on the gas while the engine is cold. I always wait at least 10 minutes of driving before I push it. Even if I'm going on the freeway, I don't really punch it until it's hot.... My reasoning for this is that the oil gets thinner as it warms up (as it is supposed to do). If I push the oil through the rings when it isn't at maximum temperature, I'm putting a lot more friction on the rings and inviting blow-by...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
As for '1 quart in 1000 miles' being an industry standard, it has been that way for many years in the USA. When it started in the 1950s, it wasn't unusual to have to add oil between 2 or 3-thousand mile oil changes. As the engines improved in quality to where most vehicles never need oil added between changes of up to 7500 miles, the old standard never bracketed up with the reality of the situation and the manufacturers stuck with the old definition of acceptable oil consumption.
I freaked the other day when I had to add half a quart to my SX, but I remembered that I noticed it looked a little low after the oil change and that was on a more level spot than my usual parking space. I'm keeping an eye on it but I think since this is the first time I've ever noticed low oil in it, it is simply that the tech didn't put enough in (and that's another issue because I bring 5 qts for him to use and the engine requires 5 qts, so all he had to do was dump it in), plus there's the variance in tilt from different checking sites.
Don't do like me, always check the oil when hot and on a level surface. :) OTOH, the tilt difference in the two sites I used could not be enough to make a difference of half a quart - the oil was almost to the 'add' line. So, given the difference, I think he was about 8 to 12 ounces shy. Next time I'm going to ask for the remaining oil if they don't use it all, and put it in myself. This is not rocket science but thanks to overly-cautious rules at the shops today the techs are forced to adjust the oil level by the dip stick rather than just putting in the known amount of oil each vehicle takes. So naturally they make mistakes.
BTW, the manual calls for 4.73L of oil with filter change on the '17 SX, and a 5-qt jug contains 4.73L. Sure, there could be a variance of an ounce or two but generally speaking, you are not going to see it on the stick.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage LX 2.4 GAs enngine. AWD
3 Posts
Neither of my KIA's use oil with the 2.4 engines. It seems some engines just use oil. I have the notorious 3.8 V-6 engine in my 2010 Jeep Wrangler. "Brand New" it used 1 quart a month. Jeep did consumption studies, took it for testing on several occasions. I took it on a 3,800 mile trip and it used 4 quarts. Never leaked and passed the States emission test !! Jeep declared it as a normal issue, LOL. The dealer covered oil changes and gave me oil for 3 years until the warranty was up. I was going to get rid of it but I worked out a deal with Jeep to avoid a lemon law lawsuit. I bought our 2013 KIA then and kept the Jeep as a off road toy. Was going to swap the motor, but it runs good, just uses oil ? Living in the mountains, I run it mostly off road on trails. When I change the oil in the KIA's, I save the old oil for the Jeep.
Common problem with Jeep 3.8 engine. It is apparently caused by the engine running too hot and cooks the oil....

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
As for '1 quart in 1000 miles' being an industry standard, it has been that way for many years in the USA. When it started in the 1950s, it wasn't unusual to have to add oil between 2 or 3-thousand mile oil changes. As the engines improved in quality to where most vehicles never need oil added between changes of up to 7500 miles, the old standard never bracketed up with the reality of the situation and the manufacturers stuck with the old definition of acceptable oil consumption.
I freaked the other day when I had to add half a quart to my SX, but I remembered that I noticed it looked a little low after the oil change and that was on a more level spot than my usual parking space. I'm keeping an eye on it but I think since this is the first time I've ever noticed low oil in it, it is simply that the tech didn't put enough in (and that's another issue because I bring 5 qts for him to use and the engine requires 5 qts, so all he had to do was dump it in), plus there's the variance in tilt from different checking sites.
Don't do like me, always check the oil when hot and on a level surface. :) OTOH, the tilt difference in the two sites I used could not be enough to make a difference of half a quart - the oil was almost to the 'add' line. So, given the difference, I think he was about 8 to 12 ounces shy. Next time I'm going to ask for the remaining oil if they don't use it all, and put it in myself. This is not rocket science but thanks to overly-cautious rules at the shops today the techs are forced to adjust the oil level by the dip stick rather than just putting in the known amount of oil each vehicle takes. So naturally they make mistakes.
BTW, the manual calls for 4.73L of oil with filter change on the '17 SX, and a 5-qt jug contains 4.73L. Sure, there could be a variance of an ounce or two but generally speaking, you are not going to see it on the stick.
Just as a follow-up, I was right - the guy shorted my oil. Since I filled it with the half-quart over a month ago, I just checked it today and its perfectly full at my usual parking spot. I'm definitely going to speak with them about it next time I take it in.

·
Registered
358 Posts
So, I have a '17 EX with the 2.4 and I'm at a little over 22,000 miles. I do my oil changes every 7500 miles as I've said before. With less that 500 miles to go before the next oil change and no oil added, I'm about 7/8 full on the dipstick. So even after 4 years of owning this car, I'm still not losing hardly any oil. And I'm NOT an ECO driver. I like putting it in Sport mode and stepping on the gas. While the oil is dark, previous testing has shown it is still highly serviceable and you shouldn't use the color of oil to determine whether it is good or not (again as I've said before). I know some of you have oil burners, but given the data I've seen, most of us are just fine. If you look at other brands, like Honda and Audi, they also have some complaints about burning oil. If you are burning 1 quart per 1000 miles, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR CAR. Perhaps I'm just lucky, but luck has never been one of my hallmarks. I haven't had a car that burned significant oil in the last 50 years and for the last few decades, I have never changed the oil in any of my cars sooner than the manufacturer recommended. On my newer cars, I always have the oil changed at the dealer in case there are any TSB's to be implemented. The other thing, is that since I've always wanted the car exactly my way, I've always special ordered my car. Does that make a difference? I really don't know, but my guess is that special orders may receive a bit more attention at the factory....

One other thought... I never step hard on the gas while the engine is cold. I always wait at least 10 minutes of driving before I push it. Even if I'm going on the freeway, I don't really punch it until it's hot.... My reasoning for this is that the oil gets thinner as it warms up (as it is supposed to do). If I push the oil through the rings when it isn't at maximum temperature, I'm putting a lot more friction on the rings and inviting blow-by...
You aren't first and last owner of all those vehicles you owned and your post reflects that. Try driving the same vehicles for 18 years and almost 300k (I do), then evaluate your oils in each instance.
Yes, oil color in GDI / TGDI engines is a measurement of dirty oil that slowly contaminates. You must pay a-lot more for that analysis at places like Blackstone.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,762 Posts
You aren't first and last owner of all those vehicles you owned and your post reflects that. Try driving the same vehicles for 18 years and almost 300k (I do), then evaluate your oils in each instance.
Yes, oil color in GDI / TGDI engines is a measurement of dirty oil that slowly contaminates. You must pay a-lot more for that analysis at places like Blackstone.
You're right, I don't keep my vehicles for 18 years -- the vast majority of people don't. But I can tell you that I do keep them for 5-8 years and NEVER change my oil more than the manufacturer recommends. I've tested my oil for a couple of decades now and NEVER had any oil test below spec.

And if you believe that oil color is a measurement of dirty oil in any engine, then you must also believe in the Easter bunny. Follow science, my friend....

·
Registered
2015 Sorento SX AWD
1,739 Posts
That line of engines a have problem and typically consume oil if detected before failing outright. Cover by a recall and likely break down where you don't want to be. You might want to contact your dealer it maybe noted as an affected Vin build.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage EX AWD Pacific Blue
3 Posts
We bought a 17 Sportage LX AWD in May of 17. It has just over 38k on it now and I am starting to notice some oil consumption. Not at the 1 quart per 1000 mile yet but maybe 1.5 quart in 5000 miles. I have changed the oil myself with Royal Purple 5W-20 starting at 5000 miles and every 5000 from that point and have used the Kia filters purchased from my dealer but they were listed as cash sales. My problem is I haven't kept any documentation of the oil changes and that's the part where I'm afraid the dealership service department will say that no documentation for all we know you caused it. I read the TBN posted, does anyone know if the cleanout actually helps? Myself, I'm pretty skeptical that it would. I am going to follow this thread to see if something further develops.

·
Registered
2020 EX KIA Sportages, 2021 Hyundai KONA, 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK
247 Posts
We bought a 17 Sportage LX AWD in May of 17. It has just over 38k on it now and I am starting to notice some oil consumption. Not at the 1 quart per 1000 mile yet but maybe 1.5 quart in 5000 miles. I have changed the oil myself with Royal Purple 5W-20 starting at 5000 miles and every 5000 from that point and have used the Kia filters purchased from my dealer but they were listed as cash sales. My problem is I haven't kept any documentation of the oil changes and that's the part where I'm afraid the dealership service department will say that no documentation for all we know you caused it. I read the TBN posted, does anyone know if the cleanout actually helps? Myself, I'm pretty skeptical that it would. I am going to follow this thread to see if something further develops.
Normally, they want proof of service. Your mileage may save you on that aspect. Maybe talk to the dealer about the consumption so you can start a paper trail now. Our dealer can be emailed or text. That would be proof of communication. I use Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic with a genuine KIA filter. I remove the lid off the box the new filter is in, staple the dealer receipt for the filter and the store receipt for the oil to it. I write the date & mileage on the lid. Any time I get a new vehicle first thing I do is get a binder. Every receipt for the time I own the vehicle is in it. Everything documented. If you sell the vehicle eventually, purchasers seem to like that also.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage EX AWD Pacific Blue
3 Posts
I think I will get with the dealer next week and let him know of my concerns and go from there. I will start documenting from this point forward for sure.

·
Registered
2020 EX KIA Sportages, 2021 Hyundai KONA, 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK
247 Posts
I think I will get with the dealer next week and let him know of my concerns and go from there. I will start documenting from this point forward for sure.
It can be a game with oil consumption. I bought a Jeep JK Wrangler brand new in 2009, "2010 model." It had the notorious Jeep 3.8 V6 that drank oil. A quart a month +. I had to do a oil consumption test. The dealer gave me the quarts of oil and I added as needed and recorded it. Ran out of oil because we took it on a trip from Pa to Ohio. Bought a quart to get home then stopped at the dealer the next day. They gave me a loaner and kept it 3 days. Did emmissions check, it passed. Compression check, passed. Leak down test, passed. And for some reason one of the service managers took it home one day ? The dealer got tired of giving me oil and called in Jeep's factory rep. They then had it for 2 weeks. Chrysler's conclusion. "Normal" oil consumption for that engine ! 136,000 miles later, I still own it, LOL. It's more of a woods toy and plow the driveway in the winter vehicle now. I change the oil filter once a year, and put the old oil from my other vehicles oil changes in it as needed.

Reactions: joemsj51

·
Registered
2018 sportage EX
40 Posts
Hello everyone
In 1000 mile !!
My car run 60,000 mile
Im using acdelco 5w-30
No leack
Pcv valve replaced

Thanks
My 2018 EX with 2.4 uses no oil

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,762 Posts
My 2018 EX with 2.4 uses no oil
My 2017 EX also uses no oil. I use 5w-20 full synthetic and change the oil every 7500 miles. Make sure the oil filter and drain plug are seated properly and the crush rings are changed. Go to a different place to have them change your oil. If you still are using oil, then you know there's a problem somewhere. Never use thicker oil than necessary because it will give greater friction and thus greater wear. Are you using regular, blended, or synthetic oil?

·
Registered
2013 Optima EX, 2017 Sportage EX
43 Posts
My 17 Sportage EX used no oil either for the first 90k miles. Now it burns more than a quart every 1k miles. Did the oil tests and carbon cleaning and it's back at the dealer with no measurable oil on the dipstick after 953 miles. The problem literally started 5k miles ago. Don't be complacent and think since you don't have the problem now you never will.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts