Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

Registered
Kia Optima 2016 EX & Kia Sportage 2017 Ex
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It's certainly possible, perhaps probable, that you have a manufacturing defect when all of the other "easy" causes are checked. A certain small percentage of cars produced have a manufacturing defect. The percentage is very small, but it could be a part was nicked when it was installed or one of the people on the line sneezed when they did their work and misaligned something. Kia has not been the best in quality control over the years, but they've improved quite a bit. IMO, I still don't think they are the best in quality control. This is also a case of Kia only doing what they are required to do rather than what they should do. Kia, and your dealer, are businesses and they will not do anything that doesn't give them a profit. If you were in the U.S., you might have better luck at the dealer because they want to sell you another car. When you take a U.S. car into another country, you do lose a lot of protections because warranties are country specific and legally you have no recourse of Kia says "screw you". I don't think warranties are covered under international law....
Thanks for your reply dear
I had one case before
Plz read this and my last post

Kia mean something special for me believe me
I got my driving licence on 2010 and the only cars i used is from KIA and i will never change ,

I know that im little bad writing or experiencing in English , but i hope you excuse me for that

Thanks RVOLL for your support 馃尮

Registered
If you are looking for more replies that agree with you (in support), then I'm done driving on a dead-end road in this thread.
Good luck in whatever it-is, that you trying to achieve here. Hope you eventually find the answer you're seeking. But you will never find it thru support that suggests the road you're currently taking is the correct one.
So you have to decide if you want another pat on your back by members here, or do you want your vehicle repaired enough, where it shows improvement?
Happy Holidays to you ajmawi and remain healthy thru this pandemic.馃懀

Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
.....But you will never find it thru support that suggests the road you're currently taking is the correct one.......
You might want to consider your own advice -- especially when you've taken the wrong road. Whenever someone challenges you, instead of assuming you are always right, depend on research and objective analysis rather than your own beliefs. Personally, before I respond, I always research the topic to question why I believe what I do. It's so easy and quick today to do so. I try not to respond when I find that I'm wrong (and that occurs more often than it seems). Many times, I'll post a link from a major source (not a forum), so I can pass on what I learned in the process. IMO, learning is important whether you are a child or an old fart. In the process, I often find that what I thought was true in the past, was not supported by science or actual testing. So I edit my own response before posting.

Both of us have significant experience with cars. I find that even our discussion of the issue forced me to learn more about oil viscosity -- something that was a direct result of our back and forth. One of my degrees is in chemistry, so I probably get into subjects like this more than is healthy. I hope that some of these back and forth discussions are helpful to those on these forums.

That said, I agree with your last line..... Happy Holidays and remain healthy through this awful pandemic....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you are looking for more replies that agree with you (in support), then I'm done driving on a dead-end road in this thread.
Good luck in whatever it-is, that you trying to achieve here. Hope you eventually find the answer you're seeking. But you will never find it thru support that suggests the road you're currently taking is the correct one.
So you have to decide if you want another pat on your back by members here, or do you want your vehicle repaired enough, where it shows improvement?
Happy Holidays to you ajmawi and remain healthy thru this pandemic.馃懀
Here I want to take from your proposals, hoping to find a solution to my problem, yes there are some proposals that I may not accept or are logically incorrect, but I have to respect them and respect those who wrote them, so the end is here to help as much as possible. thank you all

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You might want to consider your own advice -- especially when you've taken the wrong road. Whenever someone challenges you, instead of assuming you are always right, depend on research and objective analysis rather than your own beliefs. Personally, before I respond, I always research the topic to question why I believe what I do. It's so easy and quick today to do so. I try not to respond when I find that I'm wrong (and that occurs more often than it seems). Many times, I'll post a link from a major source (not a forum), so I can pass on what I learned in the process. IMO, learning is important whether you are a child or an old fart. In the process, I often find that what I thought was true in the past, was not supported by science or actual testing. So I edit my own response before posting.

Both of us have significant experience with cars. I find that even our discussion of the issue forced me to learn more about oil viscosity -- something that was a direct result of our back and forth. One of my degrees is in chemistry, so I probably get into subjects like this more than is healthy. I hope that some of these back and forth discussions are helpful to those on these forums.

That said, I agree with your last line..... Happy Holidays and remain healthy through this awful pandemic....
Here I want to take from your proposals, hoping to find a solution to my problem, yes there are some proposals that I may not accept or are logically incorrect, but I have to respect them and respect those who wrote them, so the end is here to help as much as possible. thank you all

Registered
Update i noticed on my car while driving
Gear shifting is not smooth or not normal , i found that there is TSB , i will try to apply the UPDATE for the car by the dealer

- Question
Can it be my car use more oil because of the gear shifting or load from the gear

I will upload one video plz focus on the RPM

Im driving with cruise 82 MPH
THE ROAD IS straight
The RPM IS ON 3000 RPM
THE GEAR IS ON 5TH
I FOUND THAT WHEN I SHIFT IT TO MANUAL YOU CAN SEE IN THE VIDEO

THIS TOOK LONG TIME MAYBE AROUND 3-5 MINUTES OF DRIVING AFTER THAT THE GEAR SHIFT TO THE 6TH

Registered
2017 Sportage SX 2.0 turbo GDI AWD
Hello everyone
Is there any idea why does the kia Sportage 2.4 gdi consum oil !
I use to add in each time about 300 ml
In 1000 mile !!
My car run 60,000 mile
Im using acdelco 5w-30
No leack
Pcv valve replaced
Little white smoke come if i the rpm over 4000

Some of technician says that this is comen problem in kia
And the problem is from the valve seals or piston rings

So any one had the same problem
And if yes how did they fix

Thanks
I have a 2017 2.0 turbo about 18000 miles. I was a quart, low about 3000 after oil change. I thoroughly checked every were for leaks and found none. what ever info I found said its just burns oil...I was wondering do you smell coolant when engine is hot or you shut down after a long drive?

Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
I have a 2017 2.0 turbo about 18000 miles. I was a quart, low about 3000 after oil change. I thoroughly checked every were for leaks and found none. what ever info I found said its just burns oil...I was wondering do you smell coolant when engine is hot or you shut down after a long drive?
Did you check the oil level right after the oil change? Did they put in the right oil? I now check the oil one day after an oil change. I've found the oil low a number of times. Your engine should not burn that much oil. I also have a 2017 with about 22K miles and have never had to add oil between changes. A newer engine should not burn that much oil.... period.... Of course, the dealer will say that's normal because finding the real problem costs money. And I wouldn't believe what you hear on forums like this that aren't backed by data. There is a leak somewhere in the system either externally or internally. Finding it may not be easy for the average owner. The only recommendation, and it will cost money, is to bring the car to a really good independent mechanic and have him/her look the car over. Kia does not have the best quality control (although it is very improved) and that can cause oil leakage. I doubt that the vast majority of GDI engines have this problem since it would be all over the car news if they did.

Registered
Did you check the oil level right after the oil change? Did they put in the right oil? I now check the oil one day after an oil change. I've found the oil low a number of times. Your engine should not burn that much oil. I also have a 2017 with about 22K miles and have never had to add oil between changes. A newer engine should not burn that much oil.... period.... Of course, the dealer will say that's normal because finding the real problem costs money. And I wouldn't believe what you hear on forums like this that aren't backed by data. There is a leak somewhere in the system either externally or internally. Finding it may not be easy for the average owner. The only recommendation, and it will cost money, is to bring the car to a really good independent mechanic and have him/her look the car over. Kia does not have the best quality control (although it is very improved) and that can cause oil leakage. I doubt that the vast majority of GDI engines have this problem since it would be all over the car news if they did.
I do my own oil changes so I know I'm putting in the correct amount. Maybe I'll have to have someone else look at it.

Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
I do my own oil changes so I know I'm putting in the correct amount. Maybe I'll have to have someone else look at it.
You probably already do this, but do you add extra oil for the filter or do you just put in the number of quarts required? Do you run it for several minutes and then check the oil again? Are you seating the filter properly? Do you change the crush ring? Do you have any exhaust smoke? It's very hard to diagnose this kind of issue over a forum which is why it may help you to get another set of eyes on the issue. Like I said before, I don't lose oil between changes and I go a full 7500 miles on my EX.

Registered
You probably already do this, but do you add extra oil for the filter or do you just put in the number of quarts required? Do you run it for several minutes and then check the oil again? Are you seating the filter properly? Do you change the crush ring? Do you have any exhaust smoke? It's very hard to diagnose this kind of issue over a forum which is why it may help you to get another set of eyes on the issue. Like I said before, I don't lose oil between changes and I go a full 7500 miles on my EX.
Yes I do all that you stated. next oil change I'm going to give it another good look.

Registered
2014 Kia Soul ! Exclaim / 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited with Tech Package
From the wording it seems the original poster only talks about 鈥渁dding oil鈥, but not about 鈥渃hanging oil鈥. This is a common bad practice I have seen in Asian countries. Just to confirm: Regardless of which country you bought your car, you are always supposed to 1) COMPLETELY EMTPY your oil and 2) ADD fresh oil, usually this is 3 - 4 liters and 3) REPLACE the Oil Filter. You are supposed to do this at the manufacturers recommended schedule, which is every 3000-5000 (for older cars that use regular oil) or 6000-10000 miles (for newer cars that use synthetic oil). If your oil is getting slightly low, then you can top up between the oil changes. The first step to diagnosing an 鈥渙il disappearing鈥 problem is to first confirm if the pistons have developed gaps. One way to test is to check if your exhaust fumes have bluish or white smoke coming out when the engine is started in the morning after it is allowed to get completely cold and rested overnight. If confirmed, the solution is to use a specially formulated oil for high mileage engines. This oil is designed to fill the gap in the seals by adding a 鈥渇iller鈥 deposit in the gaps over time. This can take 2 to 3 oil changes to fully take effect.

Registered
2018 Soul!
Hello everyone
Is there any idea why does the kia Sportage 2.4 gdi consum oil !
I use to add in each time about 300 ml
In 1000 mile !!
My car run 60,000 mile
Im using acdelco 5w-30
No leack
Pcv valve replaced
Little white smoke come if i the rpm over 4000

Some of technician says that this is comen problem in kia
And the problem is from the valve seals or piston rings

So any one had the same problem
And if yes how did they fix

Thanks
From all I am seeing, it is due to the Direct injection engine. Oil and gas mix in the combustion chamber. White smoke is also an indicator of burning oil but it could also be as simple as a head gasket. I am not a mechanic by trade but these are options based on what I have heard and seen in other forums.
Here is a link

Administrator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
From all I am seeing, it is due to the Direct injection engine. Oil and gas mix in the combustion chamber. White smoke is also an indicator of burning oil but it could also be as simple as a head gasket. I am not a mechanic by trade but these are options based on what I have heard and seen in other forums.
Here is a link
I have a Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 GDI with 65K miles on the clock and it has never lost oil level or gained oil level between oil change services, so I'm not buying yours or the chap in that videos theory.

A GDI, and any other fuel introduction method, will cause such issues if they're not set up and working correctly.

GDI is a later technology that had many teething issues, but that's been resolved by now and there's many very high mileage trouble free examples to be found these days.

Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
Here is a link
I totally agree with @ron1004. If it is a GDI technology issue, then wouldn't all of us have oil issues? I've had my car 4 years and never have had to add any oil and change my oil every 7500 miles. Last time I looked, it was a GDI engine unless the pixies changed my engine without my knowledge. From my understanding, very few of the current Sportage users have this problem. Don't believe everything you read/see on the internet. Also, car forums are full of myths and misinformation like having to change your oil more often than the manual says or using premium fuel when regular is recommended by the manufacturer. Lots of people who have owned cars for years think they know more than the scientists and engine designers -- they don't. Follow science, utilize testing, and depend on major, known expert sources of information.

Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
I watched the videos, and I'm sure he has a point. However, given the amount of GDI vehicles on the road and the Kia 100,000 power train warranty, I am not going to lose a lot of sleep over it.

Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
I watched the videos, and I'm sure he has a point. However, given the amount of GDI vehicles on the road and the Kia 100,000 power train warranty, I am not going to lose a lot of sleep over it.
He is correct on how DI engines work, but not correct about oil dilution/fuel dilution or pre-ignition. There is always going to be a very small amount of this type of dilution in all engines, but if your engine is running and set-up properly, this is so small that it has virtually no effect -- and, the engine designers have built this into their engine designs and ECM set-ups. He sells racing oil -- and wants you to believe this is a problem in your car so his company can sell more high priced oil. If you have a modified engine, like you do in racing, then this can be a problem. However, for our unmodified cars, this is not a problem at all unless there is something wrong with your car. Pre-ignition is also not a problem because of the ECM setup unless, again, there is something wrong with your engine. So don't believe everything you hear on the internet -- especially from a sales guy....

Reactions: ron1004

Registered
2020 Sorento SX, 3.3L AWD
You obviously missed my interpretation, I'm not losing sleep about it, and I'm not "fixing" the problem. I actually understand Internet Hype pretty well. It was just interesting to see the viewpoint, but with millions of GDI cars on the road, it's obviously not a huge issue.

Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
You obviously missed my interpretation, I'm not losing sleep about it, and I'm not "fixing" the problem. I actually understand Internet Hype pretty well. It was just interesting to see the viewpoint, but with millions of GDI cars on the road, it's obviously not a huge issue.
There's just so much of this on the internet that people actually believe. Things like intakes, K&N filters, chips, throttle enhancers, tunes, etc. If you go to any of these sites, they will tell you that you can increase your hp by 50%. Hell, if I get all of this stuff I might actually get 1000 hp from my 181 hp engine!!!!!! I also hate it when companies like this try to scare you into buying their products as it is in this case. For that reason, I just don't think it is "interesting". I agree that it is not an issue -- not even a small one....

21 - 40 of 65 Posts