Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Optima 2016 EX & Kia Sportage 2017 Ex
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
Is there any idea why does the kia Sportage 2.4 gdi consum oil !
I use to add in each time about 300 ml
In 1000 mile !!
My car run 60,000 mile
Im using acdelco 5w-30
No leack
Pcv valve replaced
Little white smoke come if i the rpm over 4000

Some of technician says that this is comen problem in kia
And the problem is from the valve seals or piston rings

So any one had the same problem
And if yes how did they fix

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 EX KIA Sportages, 2021 Hyundai KONA, 2010 Jeep Wrangler JK
247 Posts
Hello everyone
In 1000 mile !!
My car run 60,000 mile
Im using acdelco 5w-30
No leack
Pcv valve replaced

Thanks
Neither of my KIA's use oil with the 2.4 engines. It seems some engines just use oil. I have the notorious 3.8 V-6 engine in my 2010 Jeep Wrangler. "Brand New" it used 1 quart a month. Jeep did consumption studies, took it for testing on several occasions. I took it on a 3,800 mile trip and it used 4 quarts. Never leaked and passed the States emission test !! Jeep declared it as a normal issue, LOL. The dealer covered oil changes and gave me oil for 3 years until the warranty was up. I was going to get rid of it but I worked out a deal with Jeep to avoid a lemon law lawsuit. I bought our 2013 KIA then and kept the Jeep as a off road toy. Was going to swap the motor, but it runs good, just uses oil ? Living in the mountains, I run it mostly off road on trails. When I change the oil in the KIA's, I save the old oil for the Jeep.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
1,008 Posts
How often do you change oil? I'd stick with 6000km interval. You can also use 10w-30 in Oman.

·
Registered
358 Posts
10 ounces consumed in 1000 miles is OK.
If you are overseas, buy a thicker 30w viscosity in 5w30.
Chevron Delo XSP 5w30
Mobil-1 ESP 5w30
Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w30
Change every 5k.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How often do you change oil? I'd stick with 6000km interval. You can also use 10w-30 in Oman.
Hi friend
Every 10,000 km
5w-30 is the kia recommended in oman
But my Sportage is USA MADE i bought from USA and i shipped to oman

What i want to know is how did KIA USA dealed with with the cars & owners that have this issue

Also here in oman we have recall for Hyundai sonata engine the latest model 2.5
The problem is same oil consumption
I don't know what wrong with kia/Hyundai
With this engines 2.4/2.5 !!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10 ounces consumed in 1000 miles is OK.
If you are overseas, buy a thicker 30w viscosity in 5w30.
Chevron Delo XSP 5w30
Mobil-1 ESP 5w30
Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w30
Change every 5k.
What im using is 5w-30 recommended by our dealer
Also i have kia Optima 2016 with 2.4 Gdi
Same as Sportage engine
With no issues
No oil consumption .

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,762 Posts
What im using is 5w-30 recommended by our dealer
Also i have kia Optima 2016 with 2.4 Gdi
Same as Sportage engine
With no issues
No oil consumption .
While you could move to 10w-30, in your case in a place that is relatively hot, it makes absolutely no difference as both will give you the viscosity necessary where you live. Many people don't understand the difference, but in a warm climate, both viscosities behave EXACTLY the same way. You might want to look for other places where you might lose oil. There is usually a crush ring in the oil plug. Make sure that was changed as you can lose oil there. Check if there is any oil at the bottom of the engine (you'll have to remove the shield below the engine). See if there is any oil leakage around the filter and make sure the filter was changed. Just because you're charged for a filter doesn't mean they changed it. At 60,000 miles, you shouldn't have that much blow-by. Are you running the car very hard in the heat? Are you racing your car at high speeds? Are you pulling a trailer? If you have VERY severe conditions, you do need to change your oil more often. Yes, there could be damage to the pistons or excessive wear. If that's the case, other than rebuilding the engine, there's not much you can do. I don't know if the USA warranty would apply if your car is not in the U.S. There are differences between models in different countries and I hope that is not causing the problem. Most of us do not have an oil usage problem, but Kia's quality control has not been the best and you do have a small percentage of cars with engine issues. If you know a real quality certified mechanic, not from Kia, it might be worth paying him/her to look at your car just for your peace of mind if nothing else.... It's really hard to diagnose this kind of problem if we can't directly see the car....

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just to clarify, your Kia dealer uses the GMC AC Delco oil?
Try thicker oil in your 2017. Tell us what's available in Oman and we will help you find higher viscosity 5w30.

Also....The idea above to try 10w30 in your warm temps is smart also.
5w20 - 5w30 - 10w30, are all allowed in your American Owners Manual.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,762 Posts
Try thicker oil in your 2017. Tell us what's available in Oman and we will help you find higher viscosity 5w30.

1. There is no "higher viscosity 5w30" oil. 5w30 is the viscosity.
2. In modern engines, you NEVER want to move to higher viscosity oil, e.g. 10w40, unless you know what the problem is. Thicker oils will cause more wear on the engine over time. Engines are DESIGNED for a specific weight of oil.
3. If you understand oil technology, you'd understand that in a warm climate, there is absolutely no difference between 5w and 10w oil, so moving from one to the other is neither a smart or dumb idea -- it's just an option. What happens is that when the engine is cold oil thickens. So if you live in cold weather, there is less friction to start your car with a lower weight oil. However, as the engine warms up, even in cold weather, the viscosity of both 5w30 and 10w30 will move to the second number "30".

In the olden days, when most production engines (not racing engines), had lower tolerances, there was more ring wear. Rings would wear out faster. When the car got significantly older, we used to put in a thicker oil. If the car was really old and we saw blow-by, we might even put in 50 weight oil so we wouldn't have to do a ring job. Things are different now and in modern engines, you should almost never do that. You have to move on from old myths as science and manufacturing progresses.

Oils today have advanced significantly especially with full synthetic oils. They will lubricate and protect your engine better than any oils in the past and should almost never be put in with higher viscosities. They have additives and most actually have a lifespan in excess of 10,000 miles. However, manufacturers are fairly conservative in their warranty recommendations and go to significantly less time. In our case, that's 6,000 miles for an SX and 7500 miles for the EX and LX models. Personally, I use the highest technology, full synthetic oil, just because I'm somewhat of a geek. If the warranty allowed it, I would personally go the full 10,000 miles as the scientific testing is quite good and I live by science and not old myths. I've been following the science and manufacturer's maintenance schedule for the past couple of decades and none of my cars have shown any significant engine wear and I've had absolutely no engine problems. To be honest, now that I'm very old and retired, I don't drive as much and actually don't even change my oil yearly even though it is recommended in the manual. Full synthetics don't degrade over time the same way the older oils do, and since I only use full synthetics, I don't worry about the time parameters. Again, I've never had any engine problems since the 1980's, and that was with a BMW 7 series.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Every brand of oil has different viscosity numbers attached hot & cold. Some - such as Pennzoil Platinum are thin 5w30s (approx 9.8 @100). Some like Quaker State are thick 5w30s.... example.... (approx 11.5 @ 100). If those numbers are not called vicosities, then lets call them grade numbers. I really don;t care what they are called. My only intent was to offer thicker oil, which provides longer life in these Korean-made engines.

If you read ALL the Korean messageboards - that's all makes & models of Kia and Hyundai, it's well documented that thicker is better in the long run. If you like thinner, then have-at-it and I wish you best of luck.

I already know EVERYTHING you wrote beyond that first sentence I quoted above. I've been dealing with vehicle oils (including changes) in my backyard since 1969. I have never let anyone but myself change my oil, outside of my 1st free oil change at the dealer, after new vehicle purchases (about 10-total for myself and wife). Then I usually always told them afterwards that they will never touch my oil drain plug again.

We are first & last owners of all of them. Some were passed on to kids and now grandkids..... never sold and never traded-in. I drove all of them to the junkyards..... usually around 18 years later, badly rusted. Most arrived at the junkyard with a semi-clear dipstick. None of the junkyard engines were oil-dirty.

I have learned very quickly (in under 2 years) how to oil-care TGDI / GDI engines. If readers here want to follow my advice, that's great. If not, then no biggie.
Happy Thanksgiving rvoll. Save your next post, to help someone else who really needs it. Quote them and help them......

When threads make a wrong turn, like they have here. I exit. Not here to argue with you. If you continue to hound me on future threads, I'll put you on ignore. I am here to help those that know little. Not here to bump heads with those that know more. Tell what you know to those in-need.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hello everyone
In 1000 mile !!
My car run 60,000 mile
Im using acdelco 5w-30
No leack
Pcv valve replaced

Thanks
Its not a common problem over here. I suspect your problem has to do with the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system and could be a vacuum leak or disconnected hose. They thought so too which is why they replaced the PCV valve, but it was probably okay. The whole system has to be analyzed because you're sucking oil into the intake tract which is going to cause the intake valves to get carboned-up and cause more problems. At high speed, when you see the white smoke, it indicates to me that the normal blow-by that pressurizes the crankcase is not being handled by the vent system.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,762 Posts
Every brand of oil has different viscosity numbers attached hot & cold. Some - such as Pennzoil Platinum are thin 5w30s (approx 9.8 @100). Some like Quaker State are thick 5w30s.... example.... (approx 11.5 @ 100). If those numbers are not called vicosities, then lets call them grade numbers. I really don;t care what they are called. My only intent was to offer thicker oil, which provides longer life in these Korean-made engines.

If you read ALL the Korean messageboards - that's all makes & models of Kia and Hyundai, it's well documented that thicker is better in the long run. If you like thinner, then have-at-it and I wish you best of luck.

I already know EVERYTHING you wrote beyond that first sentence I quoted above. I've been dealing with vehicle oils (including changes) in my backyard since 1969. I have never let anyone but myself change my oil, outside of my 1st free oil change at the dealer, after new vehicle purchases (about 10-total for myself and wife). Then I usually always told them afterwards that they will never touch my oil drain plug again.

We are first & last owners of all of them. Some were passed on to kids and now grandkids..... never sold and never traded-in. I drove all of them to the junkyards..... usually around 18 years later, badly rusted. Most arrived at the junkyard with a semi-clear dipstick. None of the junkyard engines were oil-dirty.

I have learned very quickly (in under 2 years) how to oil-care TGDI / GDI engines. If readers here want to follow my advice, that's great. If not, then no biggie.
Happy Thanksgiving rvoll. Save your next post, to help someone else who really needs it. Quote them and help them......

When threads make a wrong turn, like they have here. I exit. Not here to argue with you. If you continue to hound me on future threads, I'll put you on ignore. I am here to help those that know little. Not here to bump heads with those that know more. Tell what you know to those in-need.
Here is why we bump heads on these threads.... There is fact, and there is opinion. You obviously have some experience with cars. But passing on information that is not accurate needs to be commented on or people with less experience might get the wrong ideas. The problem with your definition of viscosity is that any particular oil DOES NOT HAVE A SPECIFIC VISCOSITY. Viscosity is temperature dependent so at different temperatures, a particular oil has a different viscosity. Oils get thinner as they get hotter -- and different oils have a different rate of viscosity change. For that reason, there is no such thing as a "thicker" 5w30 oil. If you believe that, you've been mislead. It's just science.

There is also no evidence thicker oil is better in the longer run. There are some anecdotal stories, but not scientific evidence. If you ever really study the literature, the ONLY time thicker oil is even considered is with older engines. Anyone who really knows engines, would always tell you to use what the manufacturer recommends BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IS ACTUALLY TESTED. I have read a couple of studies that say, in fact, that thicker oil used in new engines actually accelerates wear because it creates higher friction. If I believed in everything I read on the internet......

You might want to read this:

What Happens if I Use the Wrong Weight (Viscosity) of Oil? – AMSOIL Blog

We all have beliefs that should be questioned. Given that I'm a very old fart, I'm constantly having to challenge the myths I grew up with. I am wrong on occasion, and would appreciate someone pointing that out with science and studies. I strongly recommend against believing what you hear on message boards, as most car nuts cling to myths more than science. Solutions based on anecdotal evidence are just not trustworthy.

You can certainly ignore me, but when I see misinformation posted, I will continue to comment. My only Thanksgiving advice is to keep an open mind and don't be afraid to learn and change a point of view. By the way, you aren't helping those who know little by giving them things that aren't factually correct.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How often do you change oil? 10,000 KM as recommended in kia oman
You can also use 10w-30 in Oman / 5W-30 is most used in oman for 10,000 also dealer use same .

my optima 2016 ex used the same oil type with no any problems

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While you could move to 10w-30, in your case in a place that is relatively hot, it makes absolutely no difference as both will give you the viscosity necessary where you live. Many people don't understand the difference, but in a warm climate, both viscosities behave EXACTLY the same way. You might want to look for other places where you might lose oil. There is usually a crush ring in the oil plug. Make sure that was changed as you can lose oil there. Check if there is any oil at the bottom of the engine (you'll have to remove the shield below the engine). See if there is any oil leakage around the filter and make sure the filter was changed. Just because you're charged for a filter doesn't mean they changed it. At 60,000 miles, you shouldn't have that much blow-by. Are you running the car very hard in the heat? Are you racing your car at high speeds? Are you pulling a trailer? If you have VERY severe conditions, you do need to change your oil more often. Yes, there could be damage to the pistons or excessive wear. If that's the case, other than rebuilding the engine, there's not much you can do. I don't know if the USA warranty would apply if your car is not in the U.S. There are differences between models in different countries and I hope that is not causing the problem. Most of us do not have an oil usage problem, but Kia's quality control has not been the best and you do have a small percentage of cars with engine issues. If you know a real quality certified mechanic, not from Kia, it might be worth paying him/her to look at your car just for your peace of mind if nothing else.... It's really hard to diagnose this kind of problem if we can't directly see the car....
Are you running the car very hard in the heat? NO ONLY 75 MPH
Are you racing your car at high speeds? NO NORMAL USE
Are you pulling a trailer? NO
If you have VERY severe conditions, you do need to change your oil more often. Yes, there could be damage to the pistons or excessive wear. If that's the case, other than rebuilding the engine, there's not much you can do. I don't know if the USA warranty would apply if your car is not in the U.S. / NO ITS NOT COVERD IN OMAN

There are differences between models in different countries and I hope that is not causing the problem. WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS SAME ENGINE 2.4 Gdi mostly same

Most of us do not have an oil usage problem, but Kia's quality control has not been the best and you do have a small percentage of cars with engine issues. If you know a real quality certified mechanic, not from Kia, it might be worth paying him/her to look at your car just for your peace of mind if nothing else.... It's really hard to diagnose this kind of problem if we can't directly see the car....
i took the car and they said they have to open the engine to find the main problem valve seals or ring pistons as they is no leak , little little white smoke , pcv changed

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Just to clarify, your Kia dealer uses the GMC AC Delco oil? no this is aftermarket oil we have so many oils with 5w-30 fully fully synthetic
4 liter bottle = 20.78 usd the most commend price

there is so many brands like shell , mobil , acdelco , toyota , honda , ..ELC some of them OEM brands and some are aftermarkets oils

10w-30 is available with semi-synthetic not full as i know but i will check i hope i can find

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2. In modern engines, you NEVER want to move to higher viscosity oil, e.g. 10w40, unless you know what the problem is. Thicker oils will cause more wear on the engine over time. Engines are DESIGNED for a specific weight of oil.
3. If you understand oil technology, you'd understand that in a warm climate, there is absolutely no difference between 5w and 10w oil, so moving from one to the other is neither a smart or dumb idea -- it's just an option. What happens is that when the engine is cold oil thickens. So if you live in cold weather, there is less friction to start your car with a lower weight oil. However, as the engine warms up, even in cold weather, the viscosity of both 5w30 and 10w30 will move to the second number "30".

In the olden days, when most production engines (not racing engines), had lower tolerances, there was more ring wear. Rings would wear out faster. When the car got significantly older, we used to put in a thicker oil. If the car was really old and we saw blow-by, we might even put in 50 weight oil so we wouldn't have to do a ring job. Things are different now and in modern engines, you should almost never do that. You have to move on from old myths as science and manufacturing progresses.

Oils today have advanced significantly especially with full synthetic oils. They will lubricate and protect your engine better than any oils in the past and should almost never be put in with higher viscosities. They have additives and most actually have a lifespan in excess of 10,000 miles. However, manufacturers are fairly conservative in their warranty recommendations and go to significantly less time. In our case, that's 6,000 miles for an SX and 7500 miles for the EX and LX models. Personally, I use the highest technology, full synthetic oil, just because I'm somewhat of a geek. If the warranty allowed it, I would personally go the full 10,000 miles as the scientific testing is quite good and I live by science and not old myths. I've been following the science and manufacturer's maintenance schedule for the past couple of decades and none of my cars have shown any significant engine wear and I've had absolutely no engine problems. To be honest, now that I'm very old and retired, I don't drive as much and actually don't even change my oil yearly even though it is recommended in the manual. Full synthetics don't degrade over time the same way the older oils do, and since I only use full synthetics, I don't worry about the time parameters. Again, I've never had any engine problems since the 1980's, and that was with a BMW 7 series.
thanks for your reply Sir

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its not a common problem over here. I suspect your problem has to do with the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system and could be a vacuum leak or disconnected hose. They thought so too which is why they replaced the PCV valve, but it was probably okay. The whole system has to be analyzed because you're sucking oil into the intake tract which is going to cause the intake valves to get carboned-up and cause more problems. At high speed, when you see the white smoke, it indicates to me that the normal blow-by that pressurizes the crankcase is not being handled by the vent system.
they have checked the engine block for leaks and changed pcv valve problem is same this way they told me its piston rings or valve seals

Its not a common problem over here / there are some wrote here for the same problem this way .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ALSO DID ENGINE FLUSH USING Bg Products MOA & EPR BEFOUR ONE WEEK AND THE PROBLEM IS SAME .

·
Registered
358 Posts
Run an entire OCI using synthetic 10w30. Report back in 2021, on your findings. It should help.

Reactions: aklance

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,762 Posts
they have checked the engine block for leaks and changed pcv valve problem is same this way they told me its piston rings or valve seals

Its not a common problem over here / there are some wrote here for the same problem this way .
It's certainly possible, perhaps probable, that you have a manufacturing defect when all of the other "easy" causes are checked. A certain small percentage of cars produced have a manufacturing defect. The percentage is very small, but it could be a part was nicked when it was installed or one of the people on the line sneezed when they did their work and misaligned something. Kia has not been the best in quality control over the years, but they've improved quite a bit. IMO, I still don't think they are the best in quality control. This is also a case of Kia only doing what they are required to do rather than what they should do. Kia, and your dealer, are businesses and they will not do anything that doesn't give them a profit. If you were in the U.S., you might have better luck at the dealer because they want to sell you another car. When you take a U.S. car into another country, you do lose a lot of protections because warranties are country specific and legally you have no recourse of Kia says "screw you". I don't think warranties are covered under international law....

1 - 20 of 65 Posts