Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the engine oil and filter on our Sedona tonight, I replaced both o-rings but I have a question, is it really necessary to change the small o-ring?
That thing was a pain in the ass.
Also do you guys fill the engine oil through the oil filter housing on the block or through the oil filler in the valve cover?

I also changed the transmission oil, I used Castrol multi vehicle import trans fluid, it is rated for Honda, Toyota as well as Mitsubishi's Diamond fluid.
I am going to change that again at the next oil change.

What type of power steering fluid do these things take?
All of my other imports use/used Dexron III in the power steering.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
Replace all the O-rings so you don't get any leaks, and don't forget to oil them. On the 2011 models, there is only one ring on the outside of the filter housing and the crush washer for the drain plug. I bought a set of picks at Sears and they are great at removing the O-rings. Do NOT use the picks to put the new O-rings on, you could damage them. I wipe out the housing just because if I am going to put the time in and do the change myself, the more old crap I can clean out, the better. I fill the new oil through the filler cap, not through the filter housing.

For the transmission fluid, I would only use Kia brand fluid. Most of the stuff sold in stores is NOT compatible with Kia transmissions. If you cook your transmission and used the wrong fluid, kiss the warranty goodbye.

Not sure about the power steering fluid, I honestly thought power steering fluid was universal but don't quote me on that.

Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
If the small o-ring isn't changed, it could allow oil to bypass it and cause a low oil pressure issue. I wouldn't push your luck not changing it, it could mean engine damage if it fails.

As for power steering fluid, I've never got a straight answer if any other fluid can be used. The safest thing is to use the Kia fluid, at least then you know it is correct.

·
Registered
263 Posts
EDIT> misread OP's post...
Had "Oil drain plug crush washer" on the mind...
Day or so ago, changed the oil... Drain plug was VERY hard to break loose. (As some idiots at the dealership had reused the washer several times.)

Replacing o-rings:

YES, replace + oil them...

Adding oil thru oil canister housing:

When I'm ready to install the oil filter, I add appox 1 qt, the rest thru oil filler cap.

* If on this car you add thru the canister and you see the level going down.. you could add all the oil thru canister as the oil will eventually drain back into drain pan.

Be aware that you need to allow time for oil to flow to oil pan- it would be easy to overfill.

Org post:

RE: Should I replace CRUSH washer at each oil change.

YES.

Aluminum drain plug washers should be changed each oil change. Copper ones you anneal and can re-use them.

Not doing so A: Throws the torque value off... and B: Makes it hard to loosen the drain plug.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did change both of the o-rings, good call on the set of picks, I will have to pick some up.
I used a small flat blade screwdriver and drove it into my palm, not fun.
I reused the crush washer, I always do, just flip it over and use it again.
I never add the oil and then start the engine, I always clean up my tools/mess before starting the engine.
I never check the oil level after changing the oil, I have 6 empty bottles on the ground, why check it?
I did use the proper trans fluid, it is rated for Mitsubishi transmissions, I had already searched and found out many, even those on here, have used this exact same fluid.
It's $5 per qt compared to the $15 per qt the stealer wants.
I will keep searching on the power steering fluid then.
Thanks guys.

Next up on this thing is spark plugs.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
I use Purolator PremiumPlus oil filters in my van and it comes with a new O-Ring and a new crush washer for the drain plug. What filter do you use in your vehicle, it should come with everything necessary for the change.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
I never check the oil level after changing the oil, I have 6 empty bottles on the ground, why check it?
That's fine if you know that 6 is the money. Many service centres don't bother to find out the correct amount of oil and do it by trial and error. Often leads to over-filling if they are dealing with a cold engine.

Looks like you buy your oil in 1 litre bottles; usually it's cheaper in bulk. I've seen $30+ for a litre container for oil that is normally $75 for 5 litres.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It's $5 per qt compared to the $15 per qt the stealer wants.
Whoever gave you this price is either incorrect or trying to rip you off. The SPIII fluid at the dealer lists for $6.80/qt. Maybe they priced you the Type 4 fluid, which is in the 11-up Sedonas, and is almost $15/qt.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use Purolator PremiumPlus oil filters in my van and it comes with a new O-Ring and a new crush washer for the drain plug. What filter do you use in your vehicle, it should come with everything necessary for the change.
I also used a Purolator oil filter, it came with all of the o-rings.
No crush washer included though.
I will be changing the o-rings at every oil change.
Since this is the first vehicle I have owned with this type of oil filter I was not sure if it had to be done or not.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's fine if you know that 6 is the money. Many service centres don't bother to find out the correct amount of oil and do it by trial and error. Often leads to over-filling if they are dealing with a cold engine.

Looks like you buy your oil in 1 litre bottles; usually it's cheaper in bulk. I've seen $30+ for a litre container for oil that is normally $75 for 5 litres.
I buy my oil buy the gallon, I use the same oil in everything, Shell Rotella 5w-40, it's $21 a gal, it is a full synthetic heavy duty diesel engine oil.
I change the oil every 5,000 miles in everything too.

I used the analogy of 6 bottles laying on the ground because it was a easier frame of reference.
I did my research ahead of time and found out how much oil it would need.
I checked the oil level the next morning after it had sat all night and it is right on the money.
I always check my oil every Sat. morning after sitting all night on level ground, that is the only way to get a 100% correct reading.
I also check all fluid levels once a month and before each long road trip.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whoever gave you this price is either incorrect or trying to rip you off. The SPIII fluid at the dealer lists for $6.80/qt. Maybe they priced you the Type 4 fluid, which is in the 11-up Sedonas, and is almost $15/qt.
All the research I did said that the Castrol Multi Import ATF was fine to use, even on - Bob is the Oil Guy they said it was fine.
And remember, the OEM fluid is manufactured by the lowest bidder, and those contracts change every few years.
While OEM fluids will always have the exact additive package you need it may not be the "best" fluid to use and "old stock" and "new stock" may be two different brands all together.
Another reason I buy non OEM is I cant always get to the stealer before they close.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
All the research I did said that the Castrol Multi Import ATF was fine to use, even on - Bob is the Oil Guy they said it was fine.
And remember, the OEM fluid is manufactured by the lowest bidder, and those contracts change every few years.
While OEM fluids will always have the exact additive package you need it may not be the "best" fluid to use and "old stock" and "new stock" may be two different brands all together.
Another reason I buy non OEM is I cant always get to the stealer before they close.
I'm not saying that it isn't ok to use the Castrol fluid. It is, I've read the back of the bottle. I'm just saying that the Kia fluid for your van is not $15/qt.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not saying that it isn't ok to use the Castrol fluid. It is, I've read the back of the bottle. I'm just saying that the Kia fluid for your van is not $15/qt.
Fair enough.
No worries mate, point taken.
I mis-understood what you were saying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts