Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched around and didnt find the specific answer. So here's what I got.

I changed my oil a coupla months ago and am getting ready to do it again. However, the Manual says to replace the drain plug washer when changing the oil. I did not do this the first time cause I didnt have one at the time nor did the manual say which kind to buy. So I only found out the size and type when I took out the plug, which I have since forgotten.

So, my question is what type of washer do I need, size, type, P/N? Any do I really need to replace this each time I change the oil? Once I find the washer they are cheap enough, so I guess it's just a precaution.

Thanks.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Not sure what size washer you will need but it is good to change the washer. I havent changed the oil in my Spectra yet but I have in my Optima. I dont usually change my washers every oil change. I usually do it every other oil change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did my first oil change w/o replacing the washer and had no problem for 3000 miles on my new '05 Spectra. Also on my old Elantra (same eng), I never replaced the washer for 50,000+ miles for 16+ oil changes (all done by myself) and never had any leaking problem. If you have a new washer, go ahead and use it. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Agreed, the washer probably doesn't need to be changed. It's one of those things, though, that they can use to show you've been "neglectful" if there is an oil-related failure that they might try to fight fixing under warranty. Cheap insurance.

I've seen at an Elantra site where someone actually replaced their oil plug with a valve; to change the oil you just open the valve. I would think this is only practical if you do your own oil changed, though; I bet an oil monkey would unscrew the valve as if it were a normal plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I will make an extra effort to check and remember which type/size washer I have this next oil change and then go buy some washers and replace the next next change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Forgot to mention -
The original factory installed filter was SUPER TIGHT on my '05 Spectra. I had to use 2' leverage to loosen it. Then the next problem was that the rubber gasket peeled off from the filter and remained stuck on the engine filter mating surface (I realized that after I installed a new filter). FYI.
BTW, I am using the quick drain valve from Fram (pricy at $12). The #2 size should fit on all recent KIA/Hyundai cars, including V6 (I used on 3.5L). It is convenient that you don't need any tool to drain oil. But drain flow rate is VERY SLOW. While draining, go have some :beer:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have an Elantra which has the same 2-liter engine as the Spectra, and there is a Technical Service Bulletin out about using aftermarket rather than OEM filters. Some aftermarket filters lead to engine problems (knocking, etc.). The TSB does not name the brands involved, but on the forums it is reported that Fram filters are the culprit. It's to the point that many Elantra owners (myself included) will ONLY use the Hyundai OEM filter.

FYI, the OEM Hyundai part number & gasket (I believe they are the same for Kia) are 26300-35502 for the filter and 21513-23000 for the gasket. At some dealers, they supply the gasket automatically when you buy a filter, others you have to buy them separately. I also strongly advise using a torque wrench and torque the plug to its proper spec (30-33 ft-lb).

And finally, if you get a double gasket on the filter like Chaz, you CANNOT leave it like that. The extra gasket has to come off! Failure to do so can lead to the gasket letting go and all the oil coming out of the car (it happend to an Elantra owner on a forum I post to). In that case, the warranty can be voided due to improper maintenance!

One way to ensure the gasket won't stick to the engine when you change filters is to rub a little oil on the gasket before installing the filter. I was taught this many moons ago, but it wasn't until I heard of double gasket problems on Elantras that I understood why.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Spectra5
76 Posts
DO NOT reuse the OEM "Aluminium" oil drain plug washers, they distort against the pan to effect an adequate seal. Also do not use a plastic washer they will split before the proper sealing torque is acheived and you will have a leak. the parts dept will GIVE you a new OEM washer for free! all you have to do is ask when you purchase your filter. #26300-35502
The only aftermarket filter I would use would be a "Fram" or "Wix". the possible engine damage the TSB reffers to is due to a poor filter "Check valve" to keep the filter full.
those filters have a reputation for quality check valves in thier products as does OEM.

I encourage folks to resist using ANY "quick release" oil drain plug "Gizmo"......I have performed numerous engine replacements due to those............and warranty as good as it is, wont pay for that type of subsequential damage that was caused by an aftermarket part YOU installed.
I have seen 3 this year alone that came apart in one way or another. One of them was simply Gone.........along with all 4 quarts of engine oil ! customer said she ran over a piece of a tire............her insurance paid the bill for the new engine.
Its just not worth it..............use the $$ to buy a 17mm wrench and please stick with the OEM drain plug, it takes literally 10 seconds to remove.
your engine (and ME ) will thank you for it :57:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Originally posted by MtnMastertech@Dec 30 2005, 04:33 PM
The only aftermarket filter I would use would be a "Fram" or "Wix".
It is my understanding that Fram has de-listed the Elantra as an application for their filter because of engine failures in which the filter was implicated. Not sure about the Spectra, but they are so close to the Elantra I would be very wary of using Fram. I've checked around local Hyundai Dealers and found one that has the filter for $6 and give you the washer free. Considering Hyundai's TSB, would you want to risk the dealer not wanting to cover an engine repair because they say the filter contributed? Legally, that's difficult to prove, but why even give them that? You make your own call, but I just thought I would share what I've heard on several Elantra forums.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Spectra5
76 Posts
No your absolutely right, the 2.0L CVVT engines are the same for 2006.
There are some differences for 2004/2005 non-CVVT 2.0L.
that may be why but I'm not sure.
previously it was the 1.8L engine.
One of the reasons I bought my Spectra.
There is NO Kia TSB for this condition that I am aware of.

I dont know why Fram is mentioned, they have been making filters as long as Kia has been making cars LOL, and not just filters for Hyundai & Kia's either.........
I use thier filters on many of my customers cars without ever having any problems and I've seen many a Kia & Hyundai roll into the bay with a crappy no-label oil filter on it with absolutley no engine problems due to it.....................
I've only seen this a couple of times so I dont know where all the hype is coming from so I'll stay out of it, LOL.

Working for Kia I get OEM filters for $5 so it's not availability, unless I get lazy and forget to pick one up. Most other folks might not be so close to a parts dept as I am though, Thats one reason why I recommended Fram & Wix.

I dont know who makes Kia & Hyundai filters? Obviously not the same vendor.
Dana corp. makes Wix etc.
I always thought it was Fuji-heavy industries like Subaru for so long, but Im not sure.
None of the engineers I spoke to know either. Which is interesting because the same company in Korea owns us both, HMA & KMA.

The filthy shop with the oil-pit and hose going into an un-labeled 55g drum of oil, and a guy who is about to put a white, unlabeled filter on your baby, is the scene to avoid !!!
Besides, you dont wanna know what brand of oil was sometimes used at the dealership....eeeek! a blue & white tanker truck-full of something slippery, not even a label for cripes sake......... dont think the dealerships are all created equal , we had one service manager here that was an absolute [email protected]#. I wouldnt use that oil in my car! I went out and bought my own.
It wasnt until "I" was ordering the engine oil that the place finally saw it's 1st drum of Valvoline,..... anything.

I would not discourage folks from a saturday trip to autozone and a do it yourself oil change in the driveway.
In the dealership they wont let me work on my own cars for free, no "freebies" on the hoists!!!! even if I am a tech, so I'm in the same boat as most of you folks are,.. doing it myself at home....................taking the waste oil to pep boys in a milk jug. or visiting my friends shop on the weekend.

Im looking at the Hyundai TSB now, Im not allowed to copy any of it but briefly,
The TSB #05-20-002 was issued to address possible engine knocking noises after an oil change, using a poor quality filter, on ALL 1999-2006 models. not just the Elantra.

There is NO TSB for Kia that I know of.

ALSO: the TSB addresses engine "Oil" to be changed, using poor quality oil can cause low pressure also......................

The 1st recommendation in the TSB is to change the engine oil & filter Using an OEM filter.
I cant count how many times Ive done this on a hot engine, while the customer waits..........oh goody, LMAO. I got a nomex glove just for it.

This is provided, of course, that the customer was aware enough to bring thier car to a dealer to look into the "new" engine noise........................or "whats that little red oil can light on my dash flickering for now"? complaint.
if they never make it that far, or ignore the noise. then Hyundai, like Kia could potentially try to claim that someone was negligent, sure, but I'm NOT a lawyer, LOL so I cant tell you.
It has been my experience in the shop though, that there really is no excuse. It is VERY obvious,when this happens to your car you WILL hear it!............unless your deaf.
And in that case there's a red light on the dash to alert you, LOL.
Actually the oil light flickering at idle may be the first sign of a problem, not a noise. The noise comes while the engine damage is being done.

The customers that we have taken care of, even with a non OEM filter, are the ones who heard a noise, or noticed the red oil psi warning light flicker while idling,sitting at a light and came in to have it checked out .....................before it got out of hand. Bottom line......
Even if the engine was terminal, the customer still showed responsiblity by bringing the car to the dealer right away to be checked out.....................and Hyundai stepped up and covered the warranty engine replacement.
By being responsible, I mean something that is within the customers control.

the customers that just kept on driving despite the new noise or the red light in thier face may not have gotten such good customer support..........just a guess. I personally have only seen Hyundai decline 2 warranty engines for this condition.
Our customers seem very pleased.

Just 1 tech at 1 dealer though so maybe were the exception ?.
I do know a bit though about customer service and warranty support and Kia & Hyundai are among the best. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I dont know who makes Kia & Hyundai filters? Obviously not the same vendor.
Actually, the part number you quote, 26300-35502, IS the same as the one for Hyundai. The change in Hyundai part number from 26300-35501 to 26300-35502 I think was to add the Kia logo to the filter.

There may be different grades of Fram filter, but the one in question is apparently siginficantly smaller than the OEM Hyundai/Kia filter, and is also used for Honda applications. My information about Fram filters is not first hand; I've read it on other forums.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There may be different grades of Fram filter, but the one in question is apparently siginficantly smaller than the OEM Hyundai/Kia filter
considering the OEM filter on my 05 Spectra is IMO extreamly small, the Fram unit must be the size of a thimble!!

d

·
Registered
2006 Kia Spectra5
76 Posts
Only one grade of Fram that I'm aware of, unless you count the "sure-grip" black dipped orange one's as a grade.
Well, al the OEM's lately are relying on the 7500 mile service intervals in warranty to embrace the "Bean-counters" shaving expenses off car costs. If the filter is only supposed to be in service for 7500 miles, so why make it the size of a 1975 Motorcraft FL-1A, LOL.
It will perform fine for the recommended service life. I change mine at 3000 miles anyway so small filters dont bother me.
I'm simply surprised to hear Fram filters being trashed, they make a good product.
Maybe someone goofed and listed a Honda filter for service as a Hyundai replacement? I have No idea, LOL.
But it shouldnt be a lot smaller than the OEM or that would make me nervous right away...........no matter what brand it was.
also there is no TSB for KIA. Any engine, any year. and thats the same looking filter as the one I just put on my Spectra5,.............why a Fram would be any different on a Hyundai, to me is strange.
I'm gonna see if I can find out................I'll bet "Fuji-heavy" makes those filters for Hyundai & KIA...........looks like a Subaru filter the more I look at it, LOL. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts