Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading some of the posts on here it seems as if many Sorento owners take the vehicle into the dealer for oil changes. Have any owners used any of the quick lube or 20 minute oil change chains? I hate to have to drive the 30 miles to the dealer to get the oil changed if I can drive 5 miles to the quick lube. Also what brands of oil and oil filters are you having the best luck with? I am coming up on 3000 miles and my first oil change in my Sorento and don't want to take any chances. I also noticed that a skid plate needs to be removed. Would a quick lube shop go to the trouble? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think the oil needs to be changed at 3000 miles. I think it's something like 7500 miles for regular oil. If you're using synthetic oil then it's like 15000 or so. I haven't changed the oil in my Sorie yet, however in my Del-Sol (Honda) I always used Mobil 1. She had over 300,000 miles on her when I totaled her. I hear Amsoil is also a great product.

·
Banned
417 Posts
There are two protective covers both must be removed to acess filter and drain plug. I have changed my oil twice doing the deed myself and the covers are a slight pain to remove and replace but not a real problem. I changed oil and filter (Kia OEM Filter) at 1000 miles the first time changed to Mobil 1 10/30 then again at 3000 miles same Mobil 1 10/30. I know it was really not needed but I drive the Sorento so little it's more of a time change thing. I have also greased all the certs found under the Sorento.

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
When I had my Sorento I changed my oil every 3000 miles even though it says every 7500 miles. I would go nuts if I waited 7500 miles to change it. Im just to used to doing it at 3000 miles. I used Quaker State with a fram filter. I took it to a local shop to have it changed once. Then I noticed it was dripping oil the next day. I took it to the dealer. They said who ever changed the oil in it didnt completely move the two protective covers out of the way and when they drained the oil some of it got on the back side of the protective plates then started to drip off the next day. That was the first and last time I took it there. I then started to go to the dealer or do it myself.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information and tips. I feel I need to change the oil every 3000 miles, it is the habit I have gotten into. Looks as if I will be making the trip to the dealer to have it done. My fear is that if I take it to a 20 minute lube shop it won't get done correctly and cause problems down the road.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
24 Posts
If it was me I would take it to the quick place and do a quality check to see how they do it. You may try asking them if the will take the plates off before they start. You never know they may have some competent mechanics working at the place. Not saying they will, but you could get lucky. And if you do take it to them make sure to look at the under carrage before you leave to make sure that it is not dripping or anything. I prefer to do the oil changes myself but that is only because I dont like strangers touching my baby. Either way good luck with the Sorie. :beer:

·
Banned
417 Posts
Well around my City the people you find at the quickchange shops are non english speaking dudes from across the red river from Mexico. And thinking that they will give your Sorento any real quality service is a waste of time. The only way you get quality work is doing it yourself. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts