Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sedona TS automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously owned a Seat Alhambra and always used a vacuum pump to extract the engine oil (through the dipstick tube) when doing an oil change.
Can anyone tell me if this is possible on the 2009 2.9 diesel Sedona and if it is a recognized method, as on the Alhambra?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I can't see that there'd be any problem with this provided the tube you used for suction was able to access the lower reaches of the sump. Check recovery against specified oil volume.

Some cars come already equipped for this procedure by having a dip-stick tube that is enlarged and extends to near the bottom of the sump; you use the dip-stick tube itself rather than inserting a smaller diameter suction tube. Some Mercedes are like this.

Warm the oil first and don't use a plastic tube.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sedona TS automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks, the pump I use is commercial purpose made piece of kit called a "Pela" oil extractor used primarily on marine engines.
On Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra forums it is used by a number of people. Cuts oil & Filter change times by half, but of course these vehicles oil filters are accessible from the top.
Would be useful to know if any one in the UK has used this method on a Sedona.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Oil extractors have a bit of a bad reputation since they're used by "quick and dirty" oil change guys. Obviously they have a place where the bottom of the engine is not accessible (as in the marine application), or there are vital bits (suspension etc.) making use of the drain plug undesirable.

I've only ever used suction on the odd occasions where the oil has been overfilled, but I can't see why it wouldn't be OK for your car. Another approach is to replace the drain plug with a specially designed tap, but I'm not keen on that.

I used to change my own oil, and it's always been necessary to get under to access the oil filter, so dumping oil via the drain plug hasn't been a problem. One car had the drain plug accessible if I removed a front wheel, but the oil filter was way up under the intake system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts