Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sportage LX AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but the search function was not too helpful.

Currently in possession of a 2020 2.4l Sportage. About to do the first oil change from whatever came from the factory to synthetic. Are there any tips or tricks to this change? Already seen that the filter is recessed behind an underbody sheild as well as the drain plug.

Couple of questions:

What would be the right sized filter cap socket to break it free?

Is replacing the washer on the drain plug common?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
146 Posts
Ive never replaced the washer for the drain plug on any vehicle and never had an issue. When I did my first oil change I had to remove the entire cover to free the filter. Might be a better tool then the standard oil filter wrench. Its just as easy to remove the whole cover. Watch those clips tho, easily can break.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage LX AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, what weight of oil? Getting a bunch of mixed responses. 5w-20 is stamped on the oil cap while autozone and other online retailers are pushing 5w-30.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,753 Posts
Also, what weight of oil? Getting a bunch of mixed responses. 5w-20 is stamped on the oil cap while autozone and other online retailers are pushing 5w-30.
Look in your owners manual at the list of oil weights and see which one matches your locations ambient temperature best.

Reactions: Homeward_Bound

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
65 Posts
You have entered the longest running discussion on every automotive forum. Asking what type of oil to put in is like asking what your favourite flavour of ice cream is, but every other flavour except your favorite is wrong.

To be safe just follow the manual, but people will tell you you are wrong for doing so.

To get my filter off I just used my channel locks. Sure it will dent the filter but its going in the garbage anyway so who cares. I have never had too much luck with filter wrenches.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
65 Posts
Ive never replaced the washer for the drain plug on any vehicle and never had an issue. When I did my first oil change I had to remove the entire cover to free the filter. Might be a better tool then the standard oil filter wrench. Its just as easy to remove the whole cover. Watch those clips tho, easily can break.
I broke most of my clips over time. I replaced them with these things, which work pretty good.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
421 Posts
Be sure to replace the washer, at least on the first change. The factory one is a different color from those that come with the Kia oil filter. The dealer uses that as a signal that the oil has not been changed.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage LX AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going with 5w-20 because that's what's on the fill cap. I asked the rhetorical question of what weight oil only because the oil cap said one thing but Autozone, as an example, lists it as 5w-30. Wasn't sure if the website had bad info. Both weights are called for in my manual, driving style, and climate area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts