Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 SORENTO LX V6 FWD AUTO
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my 1st changed at 1500miles 15 March. Dealer put a sticker on the windscreen saying that next would be at 5000 miles or 15 July.

I just hit 2700 miles. I know its far from 5000 miles. But the date is almost there. DO i have to go for the change or wait more?. :confused:

Im driving 5 miles back & forth a day. Thats it. No highway and all stop and go rides.

my car is 2.4L I4 - Non GDI, FWD 2012 sorento

BTW: should i go for synthetic since im doing stop and go rides?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
That would be an oil change after 1200 miles (120 days at 10 miles a day, as you say)!

Normally I would say that was far too soon, but it's a new car, and you are driving it under "severe" conditions, so go ahead and change the oil. Trouble is, the dealer might do the "$300 oil change" routine. Synthetic isn't going to be any benefit if you are dumping it after 1200 miles.

I would be inclined to drive the car on the freeway a little bit more than you seem to be doing. -Most cars benefit from an occasional high speed run. I wonder if the Sorento is the best car for your requirements.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,972 Posts
That would be an oil change after 1200 miles (120 days at 10 miles a day, as you say)!

Normally I would say that was far too soon, but it's a new car, and you are driving it under "severe" conditions, so go ahead and change the oil. Trouble is, the dealer might do the "$300 oil change" routine. Synthetic isn't going to be any benefit if you are dumping it after 1200 miles.

I would be inclined to drive the car on the freeway a little bit more than you seem to be doing. -Most cars benefit from an occasional high speed run. I wonder if the Sorento is the best car for your requirements.
+1 i agree thats probably the worst thing you can do to an engine. the engine has not even came up to normal operating temps and per severe usage conditions its 3750 miles or 6 months and as Wry 'Cuda has mentioned Synthetic probably would not help take it out on I-10 and open it up heck once you get out of the city limits it 80 mph speed limit ya gotta love them Texas speed limits as you sure don't want sludge up that engine.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
in the manual it says every 5000 KM

and I usually do oil changes every 5000 KM in all my old cars as well, as I always use Full Synthetic oil, it does makes a world of difference as it ages

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
There's no problem with changing the oil "early" if that's more convenient for you. I intend to follow the "severe duty" recommendations and use Motorcraft semi-syn 5W-20 (available for about $18 for 5L at Walmart) along with filters purchased at the dealer.

Best,

·
Super Moderator
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,972 Posts
There's no problem with changing the oil "early" if that's more convenient for you. I intend to follow the "severe duty" recommendations and use Motorcraft semi-syn 5W-20 (available for about $18 for 5L at Walmart) along with filters purchased at the dealer.

Best,
+1 on the motorcraft semi-syn i use it in my sorento and 300C if you don't do your own oil changes buy the 5 QT jug and have the dealer put in your oil thats what i do on the sorento and being a semi-syn you have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
I have been..

I have been using mobil one in my 09 Borrego and had planned on doing the same with my 2013 Sorento. But based on some recent research, it seems that a semi syn might be the best way to go. Like you not, the best of both worlds and as I change my oil every 5k, I will probably do just that. I might even go to a semi syn on my Borrego, but I had heard that it isn't a good idea to go from syn to dino oil, but I am not sure about syn to semi syn. I only have 40k on the Borrego, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

+1 on the motorcraft semi-syn i use it in my sorento and 300C if you don't do your own oil changes buy the 5 QT jug and have the dealer put in your oil thats what i do on the sorento and being a semi-syn you have the best of both worlds.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
I have been using mobil one in my 09 Borrego and had planned on doing the same with my 2013 Sorento. But based on some recent research, it seems that a semi syn might be the best way to go. Like you not, the best of both worlds and as I change my oil every 5k, I will probably do just that. I might even go to a semi syn on my Borrego, but I had heard that it isn't a good idea to go from syn to dino oil, but I am not sure about syn to semi syn. I only have 40k on the Borrego, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
Switching back and forth between conventional and synthetic hasn't been an issue for decades. Perfectly safe/fine. The peepz over at BITOG seem to love the Motorcraft semi-syn.

Best,

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
As I see it, it really doesn't matter what oil you use if you are going to change really early (less than 2000 miles or so). It beats me how some posters can claim that syn or semi syn is better than dino without tearing down the engine for inspection or doing oil analysis.

The real issue is what does the dealer expect you to do? Maybe you could go with the manufacturer's recommendation (e.g. Whichever comes first, 6 months/3750 miles for severe usage?), and make sure the dealer is OK with that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there anyway to check if the oil in the engine is synt or regular?. Coz my dealer put regular one by mistaken. So i asked to change it again to a synt (i brought a can with me). So he did it in like 10 mins. Not sure if he did it or kept my synt with him :mad:

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Is there anyway to check if the oil in the engine is synt or regular?. Coz my dealer put regular one by mistaken. So i asked to change it again to a synt (i brought a can with me). So he did it in like 10 mins. Not sure if he did it or kept my synt with him :mad:
It doesn't take long to change the oil, but the only way to be sure is to do it yourself. Presumably, the Regular had only been in there for a short time, so it didn't have time to darken, which is the usual way to confirm that the oil has actually been changed.

You would need to send your oil to a laboratory to be absolutely sure what type you had. Gas chromatography would be the method of choice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good point. I got the empty can back. But he took a little time to bring it back. Looks suspicious. Well, im going to run a couple of NMR measurements on what left in the can and a drop from the engine and see if both NMR spectra match each other.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts