Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
?s for those of you that do your own maintenance.

1) How hard is it to do an oil change on this car and is there special equipment required?

2) Can you fit a standard floor jack under the front end to lift and is it necessary?

3) Do you have to remove any plastic shrouds and if so how difficult is it?

·
Registered
11 Optima EX 2.4, 04 F-150, Burgman 650, V-Star Midnight Custom
148 Posts
1. You just need an oil filter wrench that fits the filter (got mine at Oreillys)

2. I put the jack on the body just behind where the lower control arm attaches

3. There is a plastic cover over the oil drain plug that you remove with your finger-EASY

4. I use oem filters and put 5 quarts of oil in my 2.4

·
Premium Member
Spicy Red Optima SX, Mazda6 Wagon
168 Posts
Oil changes on the Optima are quite easy, and much simpler with ramps instead of jack+jack stands to elevate the front end. The engine shroud does not have to be removed.

Check out a Fumoto oil drain valve if you're doing your own oil changes. The Optima takes the "106" size that is readily available from Amazon, and the N option adds a nipple so that the oil can be drained directly into bottle for recycling. I use a piece of 7/16" hose. Oil filter changes will be cleaner with a cut-down 2 liter pop bottle under the filter to catch what drains off the filter.

There are several excellent threads over on the other Kia Optima forum about oils, ramps, oil changes and Fumoto oil drain valves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts