Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I have a question on the 1.8L engine regarding oil changes. Just changed the oil on a 2003 Spectra with the 1.8L engine which we just got the other day. I suppose this is the same engine as on other Kias with the same displacement. When I pulled out the drain plug, I did not see any removable washer. I saw what appeared to be a fairly good machined surface step on the plug that mates with the machined surface of the oil sump casting - (possibly this step on the bolt might be an aluminum washer that is sticking to the bolt). Is there supposed to be a fibrous/paper/nylon/metal (etc) washer on the drain plug? If so, what material is it made of so I could identify it? There is a reference to a washer in the owner's manual, but I didn't detect any markings on the drain plug from washers having been used previously. On a different Kia we own, there is a fibrous washer on the drain plug, but it is also a different size engine.....

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide concerning the drain plug issue.

Regards,

Bob B. (Kia Spectra 2003)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi- 1) Found an answer to my question at an auto parts store that was open late on Sunday (hopefully the correct answer)... it takes a metal crush washer. 2) I pulled the oil drain plug again, and sure enough, there was a washer tightly adhering to the drain plug. After I managed to separate the washer from the bolt, I replaced the old ALUMINUM washer with another ALUMINUM washer (though the replacement one was much thicker), and 4) torqued the oil sump bolt to the SURPRISINGLY high torque level that the owner's manual recommended (after the cast aluminum sump pan cooled down so as not to damage the threads). Anyway, I think I am all set on this now. I plan to pick up a few spare drain plug washers from the KIA dealer and keep them available for my future oil draining sessions.

Out of curiousity, I wonder what the quick-oil change shops do regarding the washer and torque requirements when they put back the oil drain plug?

Also, has anyone had any oil filter issues with the KIA? Seems that the owner's manual is pretty blunt that there are "replacement" oil filters out there that could screw up the engine..... I chose a FRAM oil filter. Unfortunately, the location of the filter makes it quite difficult to visually determine how much you rotate the filter after initial contact. Guess I could have held some type of mirror between the filter and the firewall to see what I was doing...

Regards,
Bob-B

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
I use fram oil fitlers too. I have had no issues using them. I had an issue with the drain plug on my 04 Optima. The only time I took it some where to have it done the plug was torqued too much and broke. I noticed it when I started to leak oil. Took it back and they fixed it.
I do it myself again and have had no issue since. lol

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,979 Posts
Same here. Fram had to be used, since I couldn't find the K&N Oil Filter. NEWayz, hopefully things will become easier forya bob! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bob,
I had the same question on our new Sedona.
When I called the KIA parts department they said there are no washers on the oil or transmisssion drain plugs, although the owners manual says to replace the washers at every change.
When I removed the oil drain plug for the first time I looked for but didn't find any washer, so I didn't use any when I replaced the plug. I'll let you know if it has leaked any since. The mating surfaces of the plug and pan seemed well machined.
John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts