Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my first oil change. We are traveling and the nearest KIA dealer wanted to schedule me a week in advance to get the service done, so that wasn't going to work. Went to a Mobile 1 retail quick lube garage that had good reviews and had the oil changed.

They explained that the KIA 3.3L had a canister/paper oil filter which was more expensive, took a quart more oil than most vehicles, plus there was a protective pan that had to be removed in order to change the oil. This took the total price of an oil change up to $52.00.

I obviously plan on having my home town KIA dealership perform most of my future oil changes, however I was just wondering if others are paying this much for normal oil changes?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,693 Posts
No, that's a total rip off!!
We charge $7.99. if you bought your car from are Kia dealership. We only charge $19.99, if it was bought somewhere else. Kia oil filter, total oil. And of course no extra for removing anything that might need to be removed to do an oil change. Never heard of anyone charging extra to remove a few screws to get a splash shield out of the way! I would NOT be going back there ever...
My 2 cents..

·
Registered
2016 Sorento AWD 3.3L LX, not mine ;)
384 Posts
Cross threaded plug screw, over torque, missing screw, blah, blah..... No more oil change in shop or dealer.
Pennzoil 5W30 Full Synthetic Platinum Motor Oil, 5 qt+1 qt are around $33 in walmart and $2 mfg rebate per each qt. Under $30 with oil+paper filter($6.80) in driveway or garage...... Not need to remove under belly pan because I cut enough to drain oil and I am lazy....

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
Walmart 25-30 USD Pennzoil Full synthetic/5 quarts.
Take it to dealer - labor charge about 8, filter another 4-6. OTD with your oil 35 or so.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento 2.4L FWD
418 Posts
walmart: Mobil1 5w-30 (conventional) = $14 (i bought like 10 jugs a year ago for $12.xx
Dealer: Oil Filter = $4 / each. (i bought like 20 2 years go)
= $16 -18 total for about 45mins of "me" time.

while under, i check everything with a fine tooth comb to prevent bigger issues later down the road. most mechanics leave small things, in hopes they turn to big things and you come back for more expensive work later.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
walmart: Mobil1 5w-30 (conventional) = $14 (i bought like 10 jugs a year ago for $12.xx
Dealer: Oil Filter = $4 / each. (i bought like 20 2 years go)
= $16 -18 total for about 45mins of "me" time.

while under, i check everything with a fine tooth comb to prevent bigger issues later down the road. most mechanics leave small things, in hopes they turn to big things and you come back for more expensive work later.
However, then if you need warranty claim regarding engine, you must ensure all receipts are kept to prove regular oil changes.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX 2.0T
226 Posts
Dealer charges 35$ Canadian to do the oil change and supply the filter. I supply the synthetic oil because they don't use it. Prices are higher up here. Typical dealer labour rates are 100-110$/hr. Subaru dealer charges 100$ for synthetic oil change and they throw in a tire rotation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like I need to price my next service at my home town KIA dealership and not return to any Mobile 1 service center. Thanks for replies.

·
Registered
2011 Forte
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Forte that has a life time oil change agreement but they just informed me it’s only good for 10 years!!! What a ripoff on a low mileage car!!!

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
56 Posts
However, then if you need warranty claim regarding engine, you must ensure all receipts are kept to prove regular oil changes.
just upload receipts to carfax (create an account for your vehicle) - the notion that a warranty claim can be denied because you've done your own work is just false.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Sounds like I need to price my next service at my home town KIA dealership and not return to any Mobile 1 service center. Thanks for replies.
The only Mobile I know of, is in Alabama.
Mobil-1 has no (e)

Shop your immediate area of Florida for nearby oil change shops. Pick one that allows you to watch the work being performed. Most-all Kia dealers do not allow customers near their garage and are notorious for performing short-fills.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts