Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my car, I had asked the dealer about the oil change prices and when to do them, they told me it was only every 8000 km. I was pleased with that. But now I got a letter in the mail saying I've got to go get a oil change withing 4 months, they even already gave me an appointment 4 months from the date I purchased the car. I looked on the KIA servicing paper and It does say to do the oil change every 8000 km or 4 months wich ever comes first. I think it's stupid. I rather look at the odometer and know when to go for my oil change when I have enough milleage then thinking about months. I dont think oil has time to go bad in 4 months. I was wondering if any of you here follow that 4 months rule, or what you guys think about it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
In the winter time I have the oil changed every 3 months in my Optima because starting it up and letting it warm up then my wife drives less than a mile to work. Within 3 months its time for an oil change. In the summer I usually change it every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oil does deteriorate even if the car is not being used. This is because the byproducts of combustion that find their way into the oil will react with the oil and, given enough time, will neutralize the chemicals (detergents and dispersants) rendering the oil ineffective after a certain time.

Short driving trips are not good for the oil also. It is when the engine has not yet reached its normal operating temperature that the production of combustion byproducts is at its highest. Therefore, a lot of short trips and warm-up periods between oil changes will indeed shorten the life of the engine oil.

Because most of my driving are short trips, I will have my oil changed every 5000 km (3000 miles) just as the Owner's Manual says.

I hope this helps. ;)

·
Registered
2005 Kia Magentis
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I guess that makes sense, but I think that 4 months is kinda premature. My manual says every 4 months or 8000km wich ever comes first, so I guess it will be every 4 months for me because I dont do 8000km in 4 months....

·
Registered
2005 Kia Spectra
11 Posts
You could always run AMSOIL in your car and they state that you can double the oil change duration and not void your warranty. This would give you 8 months and it is not double the cost of regular oil.

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
My Spectra and Optima says 7500 miles in the manual. But when I talked to the dealer about that they said in the climate I live in it needs to be done every 5000 miles. I usually change it about every 4000 miles or every three months what ever comes first.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
1,980 Posts
Well it also depends on what TYPE of OIL you use... I use Mobil.. so I can get away with 5000 Miles in the summertime.. BUT I've recently bought the Mobil that gives 15,000 Miles of oil life for the engine.. so we'll see what happens! =P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts