Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Recently purchased a 2013 Rio...I was told several times at the dealer that oil changes are required every 8000km...so i get one at 7500 and the mechanic put a sticker on the windshield stating next oil change at 15500. I recently went to the dealer and noticed that they have a new display all around the service area staing that oil changes are required every 6000km...
so i inquire why the change and the lady behind the counter stated that KIA is having problems with the GDI engine thus the lower oil change interval.

Tomorrow i am bringing the car back to the dealer and removing my licence plate and telling them to shove it...i did not buy extended warranty to have it screwed up by incompetence.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,524 Posts
Your going to return the car and try to get your money back? Good luck with that!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
404 Posts
ya, the new interval is 6000km, i guess it was just changed for the 2012 models...
if you have the warranty, i would keep it... who knows... you may get a new engine one day!

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
If the new interval is 6000 Kilometers what is the time interval?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
Hm. My manual states every 7500 MILES. I do it every 5000. But...why buy an extended warranty when Kia has a factory 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on engine & drive train?

Good luck getting out of your contract.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
404 Posts
Hm. My manual states every 7500 MILES. I do it every 5000. But...why buy an extended warranty when Kia has a factory 10 year/100,000 mile warranty on engine & drive train?

Good luck getting out of your contract.
in canada they only come with 5 year, 100k warranty

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I wonder what genius decided that there was a significant difference between changing at 6000km rather than 8000km. Maybe the lady behind the counter is an expert. Bought our Cerato mainly because of the long service intervals (15,000km/12 months). Is there a problem with the GDI that a shorter interval will fix? I thought it was carbon build-up.

I once put a car in with a clutch hydraulic problem which I described in some detail to the lady behind the counter. I later found that she had simply entered the following comment on the service sheet: "slipping clutch". Actually, it wouldn't release at all.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
Hi Folks,

Recently purchased a 2013 Rio...I was told several times at the dealer that oil changes are required every 8000km...so i get one at 7500 and the mechanic put a sticker on the windshield stating next oil change at 15500. I recently went to the dealer and noticed that they have a new display all around the service area staing that oil changes are required every 6000km...
so i inquire why the change and the lady behind the counter stated that KIA is having problems with the GDI engine thus the lower oil change interval.

Tomorrow i am bringing the car back to the dealer and removing my licence plate and telling them to shove it...i did not buy extended warranty to have it screwed up by incompetence.
Doesn't take much to set you off as that is a bit extreme, good luck with that, I guess they get a free car :D
What's an extended warranty got to do with it? Where are you located?

You go off what is stated in your owners manual but first you need to determine whether you fall under the regular service or severe service if you fall in the categories stated in your owners manual. I'm guessing you are in Canada as you mention kilometers, so the standard oil change is every 12 months or 12,000 km which ever happens first, if you are under severe conditions, then its every 6 months or 6,000 km. So your location and conditions will dictate that.

I've checked KGIS and did not see any service bulletin in this regard. Simple phone call to KIA Canada will also confirm it too. If the dealer is saying this then a TSB will be issued in this regard, get them to show it to you.

8,000 was the old set up prior to the new model, I had the same thing on my '08 Rondo, 8,000 or every 4 months. Now on my Soul I go twice a year as my mileage is not very high, but then again all my oil changes are free for as long as own the vehicle.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
what are these "problems with the GDi engine" that are being eluded to? Anyone have a link? Ours is still running fine, no strange noises, no leaks.

In Australia our service intervals are 15,000KM which is ridiculous but hey..
like I said no TSB on KGIS, and nothing I've come across.

What is the "severe" oil change rating, I presume 15k is the regular change.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX ,1999 Ford Expedition, 2005 Pontiac GTO, 2007 Charger RT
32 Posts
I see that all Kia dealers are about the same.

I am the 3rd owner of a 2012 Silver Kia Rio EX 5 door.
My wife and I both love the car.

The 1st owner had it till 2900 miles, 2nd had it till 6900 miles, then it was traded back to dealer for an upgrade on a lease.

CARFAX states oil change at 7000 at dealer after trade in, then why is it overfilled and dirty when I purchased it?

When I test drove the car with the floor manager I pointed out the MPS light was on, he had no answer.

It was missing all owners manuals and paperwork, but did have floormats, rear cargo tray and other additional upgrades previous owner paid for.

I bought the car anyway, so they insisted that they wash and clean it up while I wait.

Long story short they were TOO SORRY to even put 5 pounds of air into the right front tire during the cleanup, I had to do it when I got home go figure the MPS light went out.

I changed the oil myself since there was no way it was changed at 7000, a 800 pound gorrilla must have changed it the first time because I had to use an extension pipe for leverage on the drain plug and run a screwdriver thru the oil filter and work it off slowly.

I will never take any car into a dealer for service other than warrranty.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
What is the "severe" oil change rating, I presume 15k is the regular change.
severe is 7500KM/6 months for us, but our car doesn't technically qualify for severe driving. It will in the next month or so when it heats up a bit more.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
I see that all Kia dealers are about the same.

I am the 3rd owner of a 2012 Silver Kia Rio EX 5 door.
My wife and I both love the car.

The 1st owner had it till 2900 miles, 2nd had it till 6900 miles, then it was traded back to dealer for an upgrade on a lease.

CARFAX states oil change at 7000 at dealer after trade in, then why is it overfilled and dirty when I purchased it?

When I test drove the car with the floor manager I pointed out the MPS light was on, he had no answer.

It was missing all owners manuals and paperwork, but did have floormats, rear cargo tray and other additional upgrades previous owner paid for.

I bought the car anyway, so they insisted that they wash and clean it up while I wait.

Long story short they were TOO SORRY to even put 5 pounds of air into the right front tire during the cleanup, I had to do it when I got home go figure the MPS light went out.

I changed the oil myself since there was no way it was changed at 7000, a 800 pound gorrilla must have changed it the first time because I had to use an extension pipe for leverage on the drain plug and run a screwdriver thru the oil filter and work it off slowly.

I will never take any car into a dealer for service other than warrranty.
this sort of provokes the question, why the hell did you buy it?! A New-ish car that had been changed over twice in 6900 miles is a little odd, leases usually last a lot longer than that. Either way i hope you enjoy it, and i hope you got it extremely cheap.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX UVO 6MT
17 Posts
I'm following the severe schedule for ours, since it often gets used for short commutes. It doesn't get a lot of mileage on it (8000 km since last December) so I'm going by time (every six months).

However, I just got a "Your car is due for service" letter in the mail even though it's only been four months since it was in. I wonder how many people just book their car in for service every four months because the dealer said so, even though Kia recommends a longer interval.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I'm following the severe schedule for ours, since it often gets used for short commutes. It doesn't get a lot of mileage on it (8000 km since last December) so I'm going by time (every six months).

However, I just got a "Your car is due for service" letter in the mail even though it's only been four months since it was in. I wonder how many people just book their car in for service every four months because the dealer said so, even though Kia recommends a longer interval.
Our Cerato (15,000 km/12 months) is driven under probably the ideal conditions: 60% freeway commute at mostly 90 km/h, 30% Highway 100/110 km/h, 10% city (no stop-start). I'm comfortable with 15,000 km.

As to service, my mechanic liked 6 months intervals, however he habitually miscalculated the elapsed months. e.g. serviced in January; counting... 1,2,3,4,5,6... due in June. Actually, as the mathematicians will notice, that's 5 months.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX ,1999 Ford Expedition, 2005 Pontiac GTO, 2007 Charger RT
32 Posts
this sort of provokes the question, why the hell did you buy it?! A New-ish car that had been changed over twice in 6900 miles is a little odd, leases usually last a lot longer than that. Either way i hope you enjoy it, and i hope you got it extremely cheap.
The 1st owner is a mystery, no idea who it was, only that they owned it for a couple of months. The 2nd lease owner was a girl who worked at the original Kia dealership and when she transered jobs to the intown Hyundai dealership, she upgraded it for a Sonata.

2012 Kia RIO5 EX
Fully loaded with all the optional equipment and add ons.
My wife and myself check the dealerships every weekend and we got it 3K less than clean retail and most likely another 1500.00 less minus all the dealer new car add ons.

They like to charge 400.00 extra for nitrogen filled tires on every new car.

We have cut our fuel costs in half which has easily covered the payment on the new car.
I believe we got a great deal and love the car.

I was just stating that the US dealer I dealt with, was glad to see me the day I bought the vehicle, but failed miserably in the small details.

No car manual or paperwork.
No followup on purchase or than the usual junk mail.
No followup on items still owed to customer after purchase.
Failure to add 5 lbs of air to front tire when it was brought to floor managers attention during test drive before purchase.

Trying to squeeze in a 1500.00 maint plan when car is still under warranty.

Again love the car, color, gas mileage, and HP.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
2012 Kia RIO5 EX
Fully loaded with all the optional equipment and add ons.
My wife and myself check the dealerships every weekend and we got it 3K less than clean retail and most likely another 1500.00 less minus all the dealer new car add ons.
They like to charge $400.00 extra for nitrogen filled tires on every new car.
-That would be the cost of 4 new tyres!

P.S. Anyone else notice what they do to KIA Fortes on the Gaza strip? Forte ("Strong"), but not strong enough to withstand a missile!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts