Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento, 2014
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We purchased our first Kia 3 months ago, a brand new Kia Sorento SX. My wife and I love the vehicle and are very pleased with it. There is however one thing that really bothers me about servicing the car. We took the car in for our first oil change today at 6000km (3700mi). Ahead of the 12000km (7500mi) interval that the owners manual states is required. I don't mind changing the oil early, especially when its the first change. I had synthetic oil put in as I plan to run it for the full 12000km listed in the owners book from here on in.

In both Applewood Kia dealerships, the only kia dealerships I have been to, there hangs a sign on the wall that states what maintenance is required at a specific mileage. This information is generic and not specific to any one model of Kia, and thus does not follow the same timeline as stated in the owners manual for maintenance.

In the corner of this sign it reads as follow
"Canada is considered a 'severe weather' climate. Recommended service should take place at every 6,000 km or every 6 months, or as indicated in the the 'Severe Weather Schedule' in your Owners Manual. Please consult your Service Advisor for details." :eek:

I consulted my manual, and it states nothing about severe weather (Under the Severe Usage section) that relates to Canadian specific weather. Only the typical notices for things such as towing or driving shorts distances in sub zero temperatures, or being used as a taxi etc. I live in the BC Lower Mainland were we might get 1-2 weeks of snow a year, or even none at all. Our summers are also very moderate and do not typically see extreme heat.

I spoke to the service manager but he really could give no answer other then saying things like "They require the 6000km oil change interval due to the variable valve timing and because the vehicle is direct injection, that dirties up the oil faster". Neither of these mechanical features are Canadian specific, obviously, or affected in any way by the weather. If these features were to make it require oil changes sooner, the manual should state this, and every Sorento in other countries should also require this. I do not believe this to be the case though. Feel free to chime in and tell me how it is for my neighbors to the south.

I was told this was set by Kia Canada, and not following the 6000km change interval may affect a warranty issue down the road, should I have one. If I got my oil changed elsewhere I wouldn't even have known they wanted it changed at this early interval.

I intend to follow the owners manual none the less.

What are others peoples experience on this? Has any other Canadian Kia owners encountered this at their local dealerships?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Recommended intervals are a "moveable feast", and it's the dealer's intention to get you back and spending money as much as possible. Like you, I can't see that VVT or GDI would be related in any way to the climate. Sounds like BC is an ideal climate, and certainly not "severe".

I would try to get a ruling from KIA direct, as the Service Manager wouldn't necessarily be independent.

KIA in Australia has recommended intervals of 15,000 km/12 months, and this is a definite sales point. Some cars, like Mazda, have 6-month interval, whereas Mazda throughout most of the world calls for 12 months. Most of Australia has a temperate climate, althgough somewhat hotter than Vancoever (for example). (PS Heading there in a few weeks time!)

·
Registered
2014 Rondo EXL
146 Posts
Page 7-23, after the chart of standard service intervals. I see your frustration though.

This was obviously a copy and paste book, because if they considered that the ROndo was a Canada only book they could have put that info into the owners manual directly instead of using a loophole to state it.

Engine oil and filter, replace every 6,000km or 6 months under any "severe usage condition".

Item "D" in particular gets us... "driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather". I think they assume all of Canada is freezing all the time.

Up to you to decide what you want to do, but be ready for a fight with the warranty gods if something happens and you've been going every 12,000km.

**** Edit: Sorry that was the page in my new Rondo manual, I don't have a Sorento and I'm not sure what your manual says or doesn't say. However it was located immediately after the maintenance tables in the maintenance section of my manual, I would try looking there in yours to see if it says the same.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,526 Posts
only you can decide on whether you meet the severe or normal conditions (and be honest with yourself), the dealer can only generalize.

I do not drive a lot and in my case and in the winter it would be the severe conditions but the rest of the year I come under the normal conditions. To make it easy for myself I just take it in for service every 6 months.

The key word is "recommended" which does not mean its compulsory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts