Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. My vehicle is programmed to inform me when its time for an oil change by the date due. Looking at my last 4 changes, the most miles I've had between changes is 2,672. I've a change scheduled for 9/15. My miles on this change will less than 1500 miles. I'm thinking this getting ridiculous!! I talked to the dealership and of course they said to keep to the notification set by my car. This low milage between changes is costing me in the long run!
Can the dealership reset my car notification be by the miles to be driven??

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SXL AWD
182 Posts
I just turn off the maintenance notification and get my oil changed (and tires rotated) every 6500-7000 miles.

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
261 Posts
You don't need to change that often. Follow your owners manual. The dealership should be able to adjust the reminders for mileage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Would be so simple if you could just set the maint period for every 7K or 7.5K versus by how many days. Thats totally misleading. Based upon my last oil change...I am over 100 days overdue. I still have about 3K miles before I am actually due for my scheduled maint period. I kinda liked my Honda Accord. It worked off % and once I got to 15% usage left on the oil, it would notify and also tell me if it was just oil, or oil and filter, or oil, filter, air filter, etc....No thought process involved there.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
610 Posts
Not sure how it is on newer models, but on my 2016, you can set the service interval in both miles and days independently. It's somewhere in the main menu options. I have mine at 5k or every 4 months, since I do about 15k per year lately.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,063 Posts
You are correct. You are wasting precious money and resources.
Easy fix.
Next time get a sticker to put on your windshield that specs out the future mileage to change your oil.
When you get a oil change reset your trip ODO to zero.
Then you can glance up at your sticker, glance down at your ODO and know with real simple math how you stand.
If you can't do the math, then look at your trip ODO and you will know how close you are to your scheduled service.
Easy......Old school analog method. You don't even need a smart phone in the car!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx everyone! My goin call my dealership and cancel next Tuesdays appt. Ok canceled! But they told me not to go over 3000 miles between changes. He also said the indash reminder can not be reset for miles. Live and learn. Thx again for every one's input.
Not sure how it is on newer models, but on my 2016, you can set the service interval in both miles and days independently. It's somewhere in the main menu options. I have mine at 5k or every 4 months, since I do about 15k per year lately.
Thx! I'll give it a try!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are correct. You are wasting precious money and resources.
Easy fix.
Next time get a sticker to put on your windshield that specs out the future mileage to change your oil.
When you get a oil change reset your trip ODO to zero.
Then you can glance up at your sticker, glance down at your ODO and know with real simple math how you stand.
If you can't do the math, then look at your trip ODO and you will know how close you are to your scheduled service.
Easy......Old school analog method. You don't even need a smart phone in the car!
Thx!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thx everyone! My goin call my dealership and cancel next Tuesdays appt. Ok canceled! But they told me not to go over 3000 miles between changes. He also said the indash reminder can not be reset for miles. Live and learn. Thx again for every one's input.

Thx! I'll give it a try!!
I am not sure why they would ever say you cant go over 3000. Perhaps you are using plain oil and not a blend or synthetic and thats why they are saying that. I am going every 7500 and thats pretty much what the manual says and my online account with Kia

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not sure why they would ever say you cant go over 3000. Perhaps you are using plain oil and not a blend or synthetic and thats why they are saying that. I am going every 7500 and thats pretty much what the manual says and my online account with Kia
I don't get it either! Was reading manual today. Like you said it states 7,500. The service dept. said 3000 miles again today when I talked with them. ??? I'm thinking about going to 5,000miles between changes. I'm putting so few miles on my Sorento these days!! Thx for your reply.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't get it either! Was reading manual today. Like you said it states 7,500. The service dept. said 3000 miles again today when I talked with them. ??? I'm thinking about going to 5,000miles between changes. I'm putting so few miles on my Sorento these days!! Thx for your reply.
Change your oil every 3750 miles (severe service). Keep track of your miles driven between the OCI.

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX+
121 Posts
It's time OR mileage, whichever comes first. Hence recs like 7500 miles/12 months. Most severe service schedules on Kias change to something along the lines of 4100 miles/6 months, sometimes 3750 miles/ 4 months. Thats twice or three times a year you should be doing an oil change MAX.

Oil sitting in your oil pan for long periods of time is just as, or sometimes even worse than oil that's seen a lot of miles. This can be mitigated by synthetic oil, but not completely.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,513 Posts
Oxidation occurs quite slowly at ambient temperatures compared to operating temperature. Such reactions double for about every 10C increase ... or in this case, are halved for every 10C decrease ... in temperature.

Figure, conservatively, 200F (93C) for oil operating temp (it can be a good bit higher). Figure average ambient temperature in the summer (worst case time of year for ambient) of about 90F (32C) for most. So just sitting around, the oil oxidizes at 1/6 the rate at which it does under operating temperature, and even more slowly in the cooler months. And a decent oil is loaded with goodies to prevent oxidation to begin with.

I've always been dubious of most of the 'time' intervals that manufacturers spec.

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX+
121 Posts
Its not just oxidation, its other things like water vapor that gets trapped in the oil that leads to increased acidity that can cause premature breakdown of the oil. Again, synthetic based oils are less prone to viscosity breakdown, but its not 100% fool proof. That's part of why oil needs to get up to operating temp, and for a certain period of time, to burn off some of the things that get trapped in the oil.

If you're so concerned about how often you need oil changed, send it off for an oil analysis. I have done it in the past to look for premature engine wear and oil breakdown, the tech reading your test can make suggestions on intervals. You can make an actual educated guess on how often to change and with what kind/brand of oil, rather than relying on anecdotal evidence from a few people on the internet.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,513 Posts
If you're so concerned about how often you need oil changed, send it off for an oil analysis.
I'm not. Having used the services of Blackstone in the past, I came to my conclusion regarding time interval vs. mileage interval. Depending upon climate, I found that time intervals seemed to be rather too short. I am guessing that manufacturers use worst case climate assumptions when setting those numbers. I now live in Colorado in 'High Desert Plateau'.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
604 Posts
First, your dealer is lying about the reminder not being able to be set to miles, that's what mine is set to and you do not need the dealer to do it. The instructions are crystal clear in the owners manual and it just involves using the little selector wheel on the right side of your steering wheel. I've set mine to 5,000 miles just because but Blackstone labs tells me it's way too early from my samples I send it (only 1 on the Kia but many over the years) but I'm stubborn that way. Dealers get the reputations they have by lying to customers and telling them not to go past 3,000 miles. That was the rule of thumb when I started driving in 1963, not today. Mineral or synthetic is your choice and with 5,000 miles intervals, it probably doesn't matter. Synthetics have come down so much in price that it's a toss up which to use. When Costco sells a 2 5qt full synthetic box for $26 (on sale right now with $3 off), it's very hard to find a name brand dino oil for less.
First rule of car ownership is read the owners manual and follow the recommendations made by the people who actually designed, engineered, built and warrantied the car, not the lot jockey at the dealership. Then know what can and cannot be changed in the reminders/settings and change them to fit your driving style and needs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts