Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 KIA Rondo EXV6 Luxury
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm here at the dealership for my first oil change and the mechanic tells me they use 5W20 non synthetic Petro Canada oil

I was surprised because the recommended oil change interval is 8000km (4800 miles). I was under the impression that they'd be using synthetic becausE of this long interval

My question is this. Would it be better to do the oil change more often? Say the standard 5000-6000km?

The mechanic here assured me that if the factory says its ok then it's ok.

Any thought?

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
489 Posts
It really depends on your driving habits (stop/go city, long highway duration, dusty roads, etc), temperature (hot/cold climate), type of oil/filter used, etc.

Personally, I use a Wix 51334 filter and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W20 and change every 4500-5000 miles.

·
Registered
Cerato
691 Posts
8000km isn't considered a long interval these days; nothing dramatic is going to happen between 6000km and 8000km. Of course, it depends on the severity of your driving.

Recommended interval for KIA in Australia is 15,000km. Our KIA operates under "non-severe" conditions, and we'll be doing about 14,000km before the first oil change. Oil looks quite clean and car is going well. Planning to use 10W-30 Mineral.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,523 Posts
my Rondo which I owned for four years was all serviced at the dealer and they used the recommended 5W20 standard oil, it was done at the 8,000 km mark or 4 months, saw no reason to do it earlier, thought that was short enough. Engine ran great!

My new Soul is recommended at 12,000 km or 6 months for my conditions and still using the same oil. It's not that long of mileage, however, I've only done 5,000 km and its going in tomorrow for the 6 month service. However, all my oil changes are free.

·
Registered
2007 Rondo EX 4cyl. 5 pass.
510 Posts
Remember the or 4 months part. If you don't drive a lot, you'll get there before 8000km. I would never go 8000 anyway, unless you were going synthetic and a lot of highway. I've run synthetic for three years now and have only gone over 6k once.

·
Registered
Kia Rondo 2014
4 Posts
I have a 2009 Kia Rondo Ex, which has 115K Km on there. What would be the recommended oil change interval? I heard as the vehicle get more milage the oil change is frequent to keep it in good standing.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,789 Posts
sure, yu can change oil every 1000 miles to keep the engine clean, but this is not the point.
It mainly depends how and where you drive it. It also, or mainly, depends on the oil you use. If you go with some the cheapest of the cheapest with wrong viscosity then no matter what your engine will not remain clean.

I do changes between once every 8-12 months which puts me in about 6-8k miles. There is no reason to change it more often. 3000/3 months mark is insane.

Compare cars in Europe and you will learn a lot. They put smaller engines which are stressed a lot more than V6 here and still do not require insane everyday oil change.
Carens (European Rondo) comes with 1.6 I4 which does not need fresh oil more often than 10k miles.

Anyway, you drive everyday for more than 10 miles and engine stays hot for more than half of the trip - you are OK. Otherwise, increase the oil change intervals especially if you let the car idle a lot on cold. Fuel will dilute and contaminate oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts