Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do to prove you're doing the service schedule?

My dealer says if they don't do the oil changes and regular maintenance, they rarely honor the warranty. Especially the engine issues.

So they say I have to do the severe schedule due to the salt. So I follow the schedule completely and document by cutting and pasting all the UPC symbols off the oil bottles, KAI filters, Techron, etc I use and log it all into a dated log book.

What do you all do? Anything different ?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Go to a different dealer. The dealer will say whatever it takes to keep you coming back to them. It all depends on your dealer. When I picked mine up they didnt care if they serviced it or not they only said if its not done by them just make sure its done at regular intervals and get it stamped if your not doing it yourself.

Then again the dealer I got mine from knew they would never see the car again in the dealership.

I dont fill it the book out or anything I just check at the intervals and do whatever I need to do.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
you don't have to use a dealership for normal maintenance (Kia would like you too, but its not compulsory), just go to your local independent garage for service. They will provide you with proof with the invoice for the work you have done, just make sure its itemized.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
I would add that buying the oil filter from a Kia dealer would be a good idea if they are not doing the oil change.

·
Registered
2012 RIO SLS Signal Red
43 Posts
you don't have to use a dealership for normal maintenance (Kia would like you too, but its not compulsory), just go to your local independent garage for service. They will provide you with proof with the invoice for the work you have done, just make sure its itemized.
Also get the garage to stamp your sevice book to keep your warranty..;)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
I buy my oil filters from a dealer... otherwise i do it all myself... and document all. if they ever decide to say no to warranty, i would have no problem bringing them to small claims court if the engine or tranny blew up.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
I keep an Excel spreadsheet, recording everythng *I* do to my car (down to plugging flats), and keep all receipts for oil, filters, *everything* I buy for it. Dates, mileage, costs, everything is recorded.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX ,1999 Ford Expedition, 2005 Pontiac GTO, 2007 Charger RT
32 Posts
Oil Change DIYs

I told the dealer they would not see me either when I purchased my EX, since I work for a major auto parts company and get all my parts at 10 over cost.

I also have an excell spreadsheet for al my vehicles where I track everything done to each vehicle from tire plugs, to engine overhall.

There is one question I have, when I purchased the EX the CARFAX listed a recent oil change, but the oil appeared really dirty when I checked it. I doubted it was changed, so I changed it again for good measure. A number of weeks later about 1500 miles it was really dirty again.

I thought the owners manual stated these cars could go for 12 months or 7500 miles between changes. These are normal highway miles and not severe duty.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
While there is not a really direct relationship between dirtyness and miles on oil, mine was carbon black at 3750 miles of use (car had 11,250) so I sent it to Blackstone for analysis. Kia filter & Castrol GTX 5w20 dino oil. Waiting for results.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 EX ,1999 Ford Expedition, 2005 Pontiac GTO, 2007 Charger RT
32 Posts
Sounds like the same issue I am having.

I got 4 free oil changes with the EX, and I have yet to use any of them.

The Kia dealers need to keep the buyers waiting room seperate from the waiting room used for the service department. All I heard was " I have been here 2 hours for an oil change" the whole time I was waiting for the finance department to get their numbers straight.

I can change my oil in 15 minutes so there is no reason to get it done for free and waste 2 hours of my day.

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX. 2014 Rio SX
273 Posts
Manufacturers can not void your warranty for doing your oil changes or not keeping record that you do...period!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts
Manufacturers can not void your warranty for doing your oil changes or not keeping record that you do...period!
Lets just say you blow your engine...
Tow it in to your dealership....they find out the engine has seized up from bad oil/or lack of oil, or filter. If you have NO receipts of ever having your oil changed or no receipts of buying oil or oil filters. Guess what will happen??
NO warranty coverage. Seen it many many times!!! Chrysler, Ford and Kia.
Don't give people advise like this, you are wrong.

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX. 2014 Rio SX
273 Posts
Lets just say you blow your engine...
Tow it in to your dealership....they find out the engine has seized up from bad oil/or lack of oil, or filter. If you have NO receipts of ever having your oil changed or no receipts of buying oil or oil filters. Guess what will happen??
NO warranty coverage. Seen it many many times!!! Chrysler, Ford and Kia.
Don't give people advise like this, you are wrong.
No, that is not what Im saying.

If you mention to the dealer that you do your own oil changes, and they say, that your warranty is void, that is not true, people have to know that!

Now in your example, the engine failure is not due to a manufacture defect, it is from lack of or improper maintenance, so no, the warranty will not cover the damage!

So, my advice, to do your own oil changes or go to a place other than a dealer, and keep the factory warranty is NOT wrong!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts
No, that is not what Im saying.

If you mention to the dealer that you do your own oil changes, and they say, that your warranty is void, that is not true, people have to know that!

Now in your example, the engine failure is not due to a manufacture defect, it is from lack of or improper maintenance, so no, the warranty will not cover the damage!

So, my advice, to do your own oil changes or go to a place other than a dealer, and keep the factory warranty is NOT wrong!
By you saying no need to keep a record, I thought you meant no need for receipts. No problem

1 - 20 of 27 Posts