Kia Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,114 Posts
Do let us know what you find! I have another 3 weeks until I take delivery of my Sorento but I'm trying to prepare myself if I need to order a catch can or not. Thanks!
All engines that have Positive Crankcase Ventilation benefit from a catch can - what criteria are you using to make your decision?

Reactions: Williamhood

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento EX+ 2.5L Turbo DCT AWD, 2012 Kia Soul 2u
15 Posts
From my very limited understanding of these engines, if its is just a GDI it will / could suffer from carbon building. If it's a GDI and MPI the intake valves should get cleaned by the detergents added to top tier gasoline. You're saying that regardless if it is GDI, MPI or both, I should install a catch can? It does make sense and would make my decision a lot easier :)

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,114 Posts
The port injection only addresses the carbon buildup on the back of the valves - the PCV system still carries oil into the combustion chamber, and although the impact isn't seen as early on a port injection, the combustion chamber is still being fouled.

Reactions: JstGo

·
Registered
198 Posts
The port injection only addresses the carbon buildup on the back of the valves - the PCV system still carries oil into the combustion chamber, and although the impact isn't seen as early on a port injection, the combustion chamber is still being fouled.
Also makes a hell of a mess of your turbo and intercooler.

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
82 Posts
Catch cans are discussed on almost every type of forum these days for all cars. Personal feeling is that if the manufacturer didn't see a need to put one on and will give a 100k mile warranty on the engine, I don't see a need to add one. A lot of what ends up in a catch can is water and that water ends up getting burned off as it goes back through the engine. If you do add a catch can make sure that you always empty it regularly, especially in winter as it will fill up faster due to the colder weather and the engine getting more condensation as the engine warms up to operating temps. The last thing you want is to have the catch can get full and then start putting extra gunk into the heads and cylinders. That could lead to a warranty denial.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,114 Posts
Catch cans are discussed on almost every type of forum these days for all cars. Personal feeling is that if the manufacturer didn't see a need to put one on and will give a 100k mile warranty on the engine, I don't see a need to add one. A lot of what ends up in a catch can is water and that water ends up getting burned off as it goes back through the engine. If you do add a catch can make sure that you always empty it regularly, especially in winter as it will fill up faster due to the colder weather and the engine getting more condensation as the engine warms up to operating temps. The last thing you want is to have the catch can get full and then start putting extra gunk into the heads and cylinders. That could lead to a warranty denial.
The manufacturers are aware of the issue, but they can't introduce a device that's seen to be a high maintenance burden.
The detrimental effects of oil in the combustion chamber would only be seen past the 100K mile mark.

Some Ford's actually have the separators installed in the factory, and these OEM types discharge the oil back to the sump, not allowing it to contaminate the intake and combustion chambers.

Here's an OEM catch-can / separator:

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
82 Posts
I'm on the F150 forums as well as that is my daily driver, and have seen that Ford even offers their own catch can to add on, along with it coming on the GT Mustangs. I guess I have just seen too many vehicles run well past the 100k mark (I work with a fleet a vehicles, many of them being the Ford ecoboost engine) to not feel that it is needed.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,114 Posts
I'm on the F150 forums as well as that is my daily driver, and have seen that Ford even offers their own catch can to add on, along with it coming on the GT Mustangs. I guess I have just seen too many vehicles run well past the 100k mark (I work with a fleet a vehicles, many of them being the Ford ecoboost engine) to not feel that it is needed.
Not having seen the detrimental effects of allowing an engine to ingest oil into its combustion chamber doesn't alter the fact in my mind that its not sound engineering practice.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento, SX-Prestige X-Line. Silver/Black
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Do let us know what you find! I have another 3 weeks until I take delivery of my Sorento but I'm trying to prepare myself if I need to order a catch can or not. Thanks!
Well I took the engine cover off and I found one set of injectors. It looks like they are inserted, on the intake manifold, but if there is another set they are buried somewhere where I couldn’t ID them. I’ll call a dealership tomorrow and ask a service tech to look it up.

·
Registered
2021 sorento SX gravity grey w. Burgundy
3 Posts
Just wanted to add to this thread. In Canada, the 2021 Sorento SX turbo is both GDI and MPI. The fuel rail you see on top of engine (under the cover) is the GDI. but you will notice a line from the middle of the rail going over top the engine to a valve (covered by the foam). This then feeds another line that routes under the turbo to intercooler hose and then under the intake manifold where there is a second fuel rail (MPI). If you use an injector cleaner (recommended in the owners manual) every 3rd / 4th fill up, you shouldn't NEED a catch can. The cleaner and MPI should do a good job keeping down carbon build-up. But time will tell, it is still a new engine. 😁

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,114 Posts
Just wanted to add to this thread. In Canada, the 2021 Sorento SX turbo is both GDI and MPI. The fuel rail you see on top of engine (under the cover) is the GDI. but you will notice a line from the middle of the rail going over top the engine to a valve (covered by the foam). This then feeds another line that routes under the turbo to intercooler hose and then under the intake manifold where there is a second fuel rail (MPI). If you use an injector cleaner (recommended in the owners manual) every 3rd / 4th fill up, you shouldn't NEED a catch can. The cleaner and MPI should do a good job keeping down carbon build-up. But time will tell, it is still a new engine. 😁
Fouling of the intake valves aside, the catch can will stop the oil from reaching the combustion chamber, which obviously results in carbon deposits.

Every engine with a positive crankcase ventilation benefits from a catch can.

·
Registered
2022 Sorento SXP X-Line
27 Posts
Just my two cents: adding a catch can will NOT void your warranty, it will help keep your engine clean along with using good Top Tier fuels and regular oil change intervals.

Burger Motorsports developed this for the Stinger's and is super easy:

I'm reaching out to them to see if the are able to develop something similar for the 2.5 engines, as well as some other possible goodies.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green
197 Posts
Is anyone planning to install an Oil Catch Can on their new Sorento? I’ve been trying to find more specific information on this new 2.5T engine, but from what I can tell it is not a combo unit(both MPi and GDi). GDi engines have advantages, but one of the downsides is carbon buildup on the intake valves because there is no longer fuel(which acts as a good detergent and solvent) being sprayed onto the intake valves.

Has Kia done something to address this issue already? I’m away from my car at the moment so I’m not able to look at the engine closely to tell and the manual is pretty useless.
Check out this page - look at "Fuel Injection System" - GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) + MPI (Multi Point Injection)

It looks like all the the new Kia 2.5L engines have GDI & MPI

2022 Kia Sorento Specifications

Just compare the top turbo trim to the lower trims - youll see they are all GDI&MPI. No real need for a catch can to keep intake valves clean. Main reason I'm getting a 2022 Sorento over the hybrid which still just has GDI.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento X-line
7 Posts
I did some research on this, and I did find some information stating that the Sorento with the 2.5 turbo does in fact have both Mpi and direct injection. I was concerned that it only had direct injection but I came across a specification sheet that showed it had both.

Font Circle Number Rectangle Screenshot

·
Registered
197 Posts
It does indeed have 8 injectors. It’s quite plainly specified on Kia Media that our 2021 & 2022 Sorento Turbos are MPI + GDI.

no carbon on intake valve issues or LSPI issues. (y)

Reactions: Williamhood

·
Registered
Spicy Red 2012 Optima SX + GWP 2022 Sorento X-Line SX-Prestige AWD
17 Posts
FWIW: I have two catch cans on my 2012 Kia Optima (2.0T) but I really only needed the one. I do get "stuff" drained out every 4K miles (maybe 2oz or so) with more in the winter time at my normal OCI (~4K miles). I do think our 2.5T engine (w/GDi&MPI) can benefit from having a catch can on the PCV side of the circuit. I'll be waiting until some good aftermarket folks develop one.

Not a bad idea to run 93 octane if/when you can as well (Top Tier fuel only).

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
197 Posts
FWIW: I have two catch cans on my 2012 Kia Optima (2.0T) but I really only needed the one. I do get "stuff" drained out every 4K miles (maybe 2oz or so) with more in the winter time at my normal OCI (~4K miles). I do think our 2.5T engine (w/GDi&MPI) can benefit from having a catch can on the PCV side of the circuit. I'll be waiting until some good aftermarket folks develop one.

Not a bad idea to run 93 octane if/when you can as well (Top Tier fuel only).
I tried out 93 octane in the new Sorento. Didn't do anything - even a slight degradation in MPGs. I also had a catch can on my 2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T. It caught lots of gunk. My buddy also has a 2015 2.0T Sonata and his catches lots of stuff. He empties it about every oil change. I'm using Amsoil 0W-30 in my Sorento so I don't think blow by or carbon buildup will be an issue.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts