Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento, SX-Prestige X-Line. Silver/Black
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone planning to install an Oil Catch Can on their new Sorento? I’ve been trying to find more specific information on this new 2.5T engine, but from what I can tell it is not a combo unit(both MPi and GDi). GDi engines have advantages, but one of the downsides is carbon buildup on the intake valves because there is no longer fuel(which acts as a good detergent and solvent) being sprayed onto the intake valves.

Has Kia done something to address this issue already? I’m away from my car at the moment so I’m not able to look at the engine closely to tell and the manual is pretty useless.

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
729 Posts
I don't have details on the engine but thought it was to have extra injectors.
Can you get into the engine bay and check whether it has 2x as many injectors?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,555 Posts
I don't know if Kia has gone to the combination of port with direct injection on any of their later models, and haven't heard of any issues with Kia models recently.

A catch can is a good addition for both GDI and port injection engines - I have the JLT on my GDI and port injected vehicles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if Kia has gone to the combination of port with direct injection on any of their later models, and haven't heard of any issues with Kia models recently.

A catch can is a good addition for both GDI and port injection engines - I have the JLT on my GDI and port injected vehicles.
I am away from home, but will check it out tomorrow. They make a version of this engine that has MPI and GDI, but I don’t think it is in this current Sorento unfortunately. Wikipedia says it is in the Current genesis vehicles and the 2020+ stinger

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am away from home, but will check it out tomorrow. They make a version of this engine that has MPI and GDI, but I don’t think it is in this current Sorento unfortunately. Wikipedia says it is in the Current genesis vehicles and the 2020+ stinger
Well I took the engine cover off and looked for the PCV, but it was not where I expected it to be. In fact, there is so much plumbing going on in this engine I’m going to have a service tech point it out to me when I do my first oil change. The service guy I spoke to on the phone said there is no reason adding one should void the warranty.

To be clear I’m not a modification kind of guy. My only concern is keeping my engine humming along smoothly for many miles to come.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,555 Posts
I do not do any performance modifications on any of my vehicles, but do use catch-cans.

You'll get mixed responses from dealerships when asked if a catch-can impacts warranty.

Contact JLT and they'll work with you to identify what you need and assist with installation instructions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
...The service guy I spoke to on the phone said there is no reason adding one should void the warranty....
I'd get that in writing....

Adding a catch can is common in the Fiat 124 world (my other car) - the little 1.4 T Multiair engine is notorious for having a lot of oil make it through the PCV system in to the intake and back in to the turbo. Responses from dealers with regards warranty claims vary widely, but at the end of the day - in the US at least - the Magnusson Voss Act puts the onus on the dealer / OEM to prove any modification contributed to a warranty claim failure.

My intention is to not touch the KIA. I can't imagine our ownership will outlast the powertrain warranty. The Fiat is a toy and I've modded it heavily. If it breaks, I'll live with any warranty consequences (there's only a few months left so...).

The Kia on the other hand is our primary transport so if it breaks I don't to give Kia any excuses not to deal with it.

Reactions: EVdan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I think I’ve decided to use good oil and fuel and check down the road once it has some miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,555 Posts
Yea I think I’ve decided to use good oil and fuel and check down the road once it has some miles on it.
My two vehicles are still under warranty but I do all servicing so they don't see the dealership, but if I did need to take it in, my JLT catch cans are very easy and quick to take off and return the original breather pipe.

I installed them when the vehicles were new, and seeing what it collects, I'd hate that making contact with the intake valves or fouling the combustion chamber - easier to avoid the carbon fouling than to remove it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would love to see a picture of what you’re catching. How often are you dumping it?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,555 Posts
In winter I empty it every tank of gas, or every second tank of gas - pour in into a glass on my work bench and after a few days the water evaporates leaving a smelly oil.

In summer empty it every oil change at 5K miles.

·
Registered
Hyundai Palisade 2021 Luxury
49 Posts
So if anyone is still interested: K5 2.5T has GDI + MPI (so no issues with carbon deposit on valves). Sorento 2.5T has only GDI, so unfortunately it will have some carbon build up with time. That been said, with timely oil changes you shouldn't have any noticeable issues. Maybe beyond 150k miles at that mileage carbon build up might be noticeable and cause a bit more rougher idle or a bit more consumption (but not very much, maybe 1-2MPG difference and minimal loss of power). All in all - if you have will and time - probably oil catch can is a good idea, but MORE important is to do timely oil changes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In winter I empty it every tank of gas, or every second tank of gas - pour in into a glass on my work bench and after a few days the water evaporates leaving a smelly oil.

In summer empty it every oil change at 5K miles.

View attachment 117219
Thanks, I’m gonna try to find one that will work. Looks like it works!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts