Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question and feedback from my fellow Sorento owners.Oil catch can,yes or no?Possible brands and are they a good idea in cold climates.Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.:) (2.0t)

·
Banned
2017 Sorento LX
131 Posts
I installed an ADD W1 version 1 catch can on my 2.4L last week. Checked it after around 200 miles and had a small amount of oil/water mix (mostly water) in it. I figured since it's not that expensive and so easy to undo I might as well give it a try.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed an ADD W1 version 1 catch can on my 2.4L last week. Checked it after around 200 miles and had a small amount of oil/water mix (mostly water) in it. I figured since it's not that expensive and so easy to undo I might as well give it a try.
Thanks 17LX,I think my main concern is the water being in the great white north, freezing and plugging up the system.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
800 Posts
I have a UPR 4 stage Separator. It does a good job of separating the nasty stuff from the PCV system.

As far as using one in colder climates I'd recommend caution. They fill up extremely fast with condensed water vapour and a small amount of oil and gas contaminants.

I empty mine weekly and it's about 1/2 - 3/4 full depending on how cold it happens to be.
I think it's great for 3 seasons but a hassle for winter use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a UPR 4 stage Separator. It does a good job of separating the nasty stuff from the PCV system.

As far as using one in colder climates I'd recommend caution. They fill up extremely fast with condensed water vapour and a small amount of oil and gas contaminants.

I empty mine weekly and it's about 1/2 - 3/4 full depending on how cold it happens to be.

That was my biggest concern,Thanks

·
Registered
800 Posts
That was my biggest concern,Thanks

No problem! You have hot gasses passing through an ice cold metal can and which results in the perfect condensing apparatus.
There's a reason why the PCV hose is covered with a foam wrap. It's to keep the gasses from condensing in the hose in cold weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Sorento sx 2.0T
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem! You have hot gasses passing through an ice cold metal can and which results in the perfect condensing apparatus.
There's a reason why the PCV hose is covered with a foam wrap. It's to keep the gasses from condensing in the hose in cold weather.

Now you got me thinking,foam wrap the can.;)

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
151 Posts

Greetings Hand-filer,

I just responded back to you on the previous thread "1st oil change" regarding the same picture from your catch can. I checked my CC after putting on about 1500 miles since being installed. I found about a 1/4" - 3/8" of oil that was clean like the oil on the dip stick. You now answered my question as to why you had so much content from your CC. I live in Florida and it has been a record breaking non-winter with temps only down to mid 50's.

Appreciate your explanation about cold temps effecting the CC. I was wondering why the insulation on PCV hose.

Question: I believe you had posted you use Pennzoil oil products. Any specific reason you prefer them over mobil 1?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Greetings Hand-filer,
Question: I believe you had posted you use Pennzoil oil products. Any specific reason you prefer them over mobil 1?
Greetings Majic24,

I like the Penzoil Ultra Platinum and also the Amsoil Signature series oils because of their excellent NOACK volatility test ratings. The only Mobil 1 product that comes close is the Mobil 1 Extended Performance version but you pay a lot more for it than the regular Mobil 1 which is only an average performing oil by today's standards.

The NOACK test is a measurement of the evaporation loss of lubricants in high-temperature service. Turbocharged and supercharged engines place a higher demand on the engine oil due to higher loads and temperatures and that is why I use lubricants that score well in this regard. I also find the Penzoil on sale a lot so I stockpile it to keep costs reasonable.

The following link although Amsoil sponsored propaganda is done by an independent lab and the results might be of interest to you and others:

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/G3115.pdf

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
151 Posts
Thanks very much for the amsoil link.

Very informative, I have only changed my oil one time and I used Mobil1 E.P. researched Pennzoil ultra platinum. The patented refining process using natural gas which results in a almost clear oil product makes a lot of sense. They claim the Ultra results in up to 35% cleaner engine. I will definitely use it as my next oil change is coming due next month.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2017
5 Posts
Any one who installed Sorento V6 engine Oil Catch Can?
I do see lot of people installed on v4. but, V6 air hose located next to battery.
so, I'd like to see who installed on V6 model.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2017
5 Posts
Any one who installed Sorento V6 engine Oil Catch Can?
I do see lot of people installed on v4. but, V6 air hose located next to battery.
so, I'd like to see who installed on V6 model.....???

·
Registered
Sorento EX V6 2018 on 5/16/20. Ebony Black.
27 Posts
Do V6's need one? it is designed for the gasoline to clean off the valves before excess air gets to the PVC?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,961 Posts
Do V6's need one?
All engines can benefit from a catch can.
it is designed for the gasoline to clean off the valves before excess air gets to the PVC?
That doesn't make sense at all - where did you get that explanation from?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did not submit any explanation. I asked two questions, and punctuated each with question mark.
[/QUOTE]
That doesn't make sense at all - where did you get that explanation from?
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you used an endoscope to see what effect it has on valve buildup yet?

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
306 Posts
wjgo, Just to clarify the confusion. I think you typed "it is" instead of "is it" in front of your second question in post #15. That made it a statement instead of a question....
IMO there s/b nothing on the V6 that would alter the catch can, needed or not, discussion. Some manufactures have added extra injectors in the intake ports (port injector) that sprays fuel at idle/low loads to clean the valve stem and valve in DI (direct injection) engines. Not so with the Hyundai (Kia) Lambda design. Have not spent much time on this as I mysely do not use catch cans, I do use high quality synthetic oil, hoping for lower and cleanner PVC fumes (noack levels). I have noticed the V6 has a hose in bank 1 valve cover (called a breather hose) that tee's with the PVC hose at bank 2 valve cover, that eventually goes to the intake system downstream of the TB. So I could be done easily by adding a can in the bank 2 to intake loop, just have not seen any of the V6 owners posting an installation.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
151 Posts
wjgo, Just to clarify the confusion. I think you typed "it is" instead of "is it" in front of your second question in post #15. That made it a statement instead of a question....
IMO there s/b nothing on the V6 that would alter the catch can, needed or not, discussion. Some manufactures have added extra injectors in the intake ports (port injector) that sprays fuel at idle/low loads to clean the valve stem and valve in DI (direct injection) engines. Not so with the Hyundai (Kia) Lambda design. Have not spent much time on this as I mysely do not use catch cans, I do use high quality synthetic oil, hoping for lower and cleanner PVC fumes (noack levels). I have noticed the V6 has a hose in bank 1 valve cover (called a breather hose) that tee's with the PVC hose at bank 2 valve cover, that eventually goes to the intake system downstream of the TB. So I could be done easily by adding a can in the bank 2 to intake loop, just have not seen any of the V6 owners posting an installation.
It’s a PCV valve not PVC.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts